Recipes Using Lemons

Category Fruit
Salmon with Lemons
Lemons are used in a wide variety of recipes from desserts to main dishes. This page contains recipes using lemons.

Ingredients

Streusel Topping
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
Batter
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 2 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel

Directions

For streusel topping: Combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. add butter; mix until crumbly. For batter: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. In small bowl, whisk egg, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients; stir until just moistened. Gently stir in blueberries and peel. Pour batter into greased 9 inch square baking pan; sprinkle with streusel.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Part 1:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Part 2:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Directions:

Mix ingredients from part 1 together and blend thoroughly. Pat into 9x13 inch dish. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. Mix ingredients from Part 2 together. Pour mixture into crust (part 1) and bake 30 minutes or until firm. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

By Robin from Washinton, IA

I need recipes using lemons. We have our own tree.

By Doreen from Bundaberg, Australia

Anonymous

Classic Lemonade

6 large lemons

6 cups cold water

1 cup sugar, or less to taste (you can use honey instead of sugar)

Directions:

Squeeze the lemons and remove any seeds from the juice. If you dont care for the pulp then strain the juice through cheesecloth. To get more juice from the lemons when squeezing be sure to squeeze them when they are at room temperature. Combine lemon juice, sugar and water. Stir well until all of the sugar dissolves, chill and serve over ice. This recipe will render about eight or more 8 ounce glasses of lemonade depending on how much ice you choose to use ;-)

Fried Tilapia Fillets with Lemon Caper Sauce

4 Tilapia fillets

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 cup Tempura batter mix

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 lemon very thinly sliced, ends removed

2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut in to pats

2 Tbsp capers, drained

Directions:

Rub the fillets with salt and pepper. Spread the Tempura batter mix on a plate; lightly press both sides of tilapia fillets in the Tempura batter mix and repeat. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add the lemon slices. Fry for about 5 minutes and remove the slices. Fry the tilapia fillets in the same skillet and oil for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until easily flaked with a fork and place on serving plates over cooked rice. Increase the heat of the skillet to high, add the lemon slices, unsalted butter, and capers. Stir for about 2 to 3 minutes, spoon the sauce over the tilapia fillets and rice and serve immediately.

Lemon Chicken

4 whole chicken breasts, boned skinned and cut in to bite size pieces

4 tbls peanut oil

2 tsp corn starch plus 1 tbls mixed with one tbls water

3 tsp grated lemon rind

2/3 cup chicken stock

1 lb fresh snow peas

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Rice of your choosing

Small handful of cashews or skinless peanuts, both unsalted, optional

Toss chicken bites with 2 tbls oil and 2 tsp cornstarch.

Heat remaining 2 tbls peanut oil in wok or skillet. Stir fry chicken about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon rind and then add chicken stock and snow peas (and cashews or peanuts if you choose to). Stir fry 1 minute. Combine lemon juice with cornstarch and water paste, add to wok and stir fry until sauce has thickened.

You are so fortunate to be able to grow your own lemons. I take lemons and juice them and freeze the juice in ice trays then transfer to zip lock bag.

Drink lemon water during the day. Put a cube of lemon juice in the bottom of a large insulated cup. Fill the cup with ice cubes and add water. The cube of lemon melts slowly so as you drink the water, you can add more water.

This is delicous, easy, and inexpensive. You can use lemon curd on ice cream, eaten with blueberries & whip cream, and used as a "puddin pie". Or Google it!

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup sugar

1 cup lemon juice

lemon zest from the lemon (this is optional but adds wonderful flavor!)

3 Tbsp. butter

3 eggs

PREPARATION:

Combine sugar and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan. Stir in butter and eggs and beat well, add lemon zest. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Pour into a one pint container and cover tightly.

spninn:

How much lemon curd does your recipe make? (I was thinking maybe around 1 1/2 cups after 3 eggs are added to 1 c each of the lemon juice and sugar.)

You can add lemons/limes to any recipe you want. The zest can be frozen to be used. Where I live this fruit is expensive so when the sales are good, I stock up. I cut wedges, lay them out, freeze, then bag. I can grab to use as I need without wasting the whole fruit for a tsp or two.

Salads--many pasta salads are wonderful with a smidge of citrus. I switched up, and instead of so much mayo or salad dressing, I add 1/4 cup of lemon/lime to it. Hot dishes the same. Cookie or cake recipes--balance out the liquid from some other area.

Make jam. I have a tomato jam that used 2 cups sliced lemons. The lemons created the pectin quality. Recipe is in the BALL BLUE BOOK OF CANNING. You cooked it and left it overnight in fridge and cooked it again. Soooo good. You can just make lemon butters, process to put away. Use them where you want lemon. So many ideas.

Does anyone have a recipe for diabetic lemon cordials?

Lesley from Australia

Now that I think I understand what lemon cordial is, here's what I would do.

http://lowcarbd  a/liqsplenda.htm

This has information on a variety of liquid Sucralose products that you could use in place of the basic simple syrup (sugar water) that goes into most cordials, and then all you would need to do is add the lemon juice and poss. the tiny amount of alcohol that goes into some of the recipes.

Good luck! I might have to try making some of mine own after reading all these yummy sounding recipes!

Hi Lesley,

You can either juice some lemons, and use to mix with a sweetener (I use Sugarine liquid as it is the only one without carbs) and water. You can make it as strong as you want. Alternatively, have a look in the supermarket for Weight Watchers cordials in bottles or packets. They are ready to mix with water.

Coles have a two-for-$6 deal at the moment on the Diet-Rite brand (their tropical cordial is to die for). Good luck!

I am looking for a homemade cordial recipe which is good for diabetics and, of course, sugar free.

By Brian from Melbourne, Australia

Here's a recipe I found on the internet if you want it sugar free just add your sugar substitute in place of sugar.

Lemon Cordial Recipe

1 L water

2 kg sugar (white or raw sugar is fine. I've used raw sugar here which adds a rich caramel flavour and a darker colour)

Peel of 6-8 lemons (thin yellow outer layer only, the zest)

1.5 L lemon juice (roughly 20 lemons of a juicy variety, depending upon size and ripeness)

(This makes approximately 3L of cordial)

Method:

1. Bring water to the boil in a large pot.

2. Dissolve caster sugar (or use brown sugar for a more caramel taste) in the water.

3. Once dissolved, add the lemon peels. Choose the peel off your best lemons and avoid greener peel as this will taste bitter. Also, make sure you only use the outermost, yellow layer of the peel (the zest).

4. Simmer the mixture until the lemon peels begin to curl up and look dehydrated. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour.

5. Add the lemon juice and heat the mixture until boiling. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

6. Remove the lemon peel using a slotted spoon (but save!), and remove the syrup from the heat to cool slightly.

7. Meanwhile, prepare your bottles by washing them in hot, soapy water. Dry off in a cool oven (120°C/250F) for 20 minutes.

8. Bottle and label your cordials. Store in a cool, dark place. Once open, keep refrigerated.

Ingredients

• 2 packages (small) lemon gelatin
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 1 can crushed pineapple, juice and all (9oz.)
  • 1 can lemon pie filling
  • 1 medium carton Cool Whip

Directions

Mix the two packages of lemon gelatin with water and can of pineapple with juice. Set in refrigerator. After this starts to set up, add one can lemon pie filling and one medium size carton Cool Whip. Mix well. Keep refrigerated.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Does anyone have a recipe for lemon squares, with the graham cracker crust?

Sabrina from Council, N.C.

Answers:

Lemon Squares Recipe

Oh girl, thank you so very much! I have been trying to find this for a long time. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out. (03/27/2008)

By barrsbits

Lemon Squares

• 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine,melted
Directions

In a bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice; mix well and set aside. In another bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly.

Press half of the crumb mixture into a greased 9-inch square baking dish. Pour lemon mixture over crust; sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. (03/28/2008)

By momof4

Lemon Squares Recipe

Can you make lime squares with the same recipe?

Thanks

Editor's Note: I don't see why you couldn't. Just replace the lemon juice with lime juice. (03/28/2008)

By Judy

Lemon Squares Recipe

This recipe uses flour instead of the graham cracker crust, but it is SO good.

• 2 cups all Purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp finely shredded lemon peel (set aside)
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • Powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cups flour and the 1/2 cup sifted powered sugar. Using a pastry blender cut in butter until mixture clings together. Press onto the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2 inch-baking pan. Bake about 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a whisk; whisk in granulated sugar and lemon juice until well mixed. Whisk in the 1/4 cup flour and the lemon peel. Pour over baked crust.

3. Bake about 20 minutes more or until edges begin to brown and center is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Sift additional powdered sugar over top. Cut into bars or into diamonds. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Makes 30 bars.

(03/29/2008)

By PiratesLadyDee

Lemon Squares Recipe

• 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup melted margarine
  • 1 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup coconut

Mix together andpress in pan. Save out one cup to sprinkle on top of lemon filling. Cook one package pie filling, pour over above. Put in fridge to cool. (03/31/2008)

By lorreen

Cordial is a drink syrup you mix with water and it is called cordial in Australia, not sure if it is the same in the US. I am diabetic so I have to use sweeteners not sugar. I have a lemon tree and need to make lemon cordial.

Thanks,
Brian from Australia

Answers:

Diet Lemon Cordial Recipe

I avoid sugar too, because if you're not diabetic now, it will someday make you fat enough to turn diabetic. I am a fan of Splenda or similar brands of sucralose. I have yet to find any recipe with water in it that does any less than wonderful, and it will make your lemon cordial very nicely. Just put the word 'sucralose' in your browser and see where it is sold for you. I went through thirty pages of links as to its safety, and I've had a bit of training in recognizing good versus bogus research, and I am satisfied with it, for everything from morning cocoa to fruit smoothies to homemade ice cream. God bless you! (06/25/2007)

By Kim Ch from WA

I am looking for a recipe for lemon squares.

A. Simonot

Answers:

Lemon Squares Recipe

So-Easy Lemon Bars
Prep Time: 15 min (Ready in 1 hr 35 min )
Makes: 36 bars Nutrition Information

Pillsbury® Refrigerated Sugar cookies make quick work of homemade lemon bars. Lime or orange anyone?

• 1 (18-oz.) roll Pillsbury® Refrigerated Sugar Cookies
  • 4 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Slice cookie dough as directed on package. Arrange slices in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch pan. With lightly floured fingers, press dough evenly in pan. Bake at 350°F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.

2. In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, flour and baking powder; blend well. Stir in lemon juice. Pour mixture over warm crust.

3. Bake at 350°F. for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; cut into bars.
(07/11/2006)

By micksgirl