Refurbishing a Formica Vanity Top

My bathroom vanity needs refinishing and I do not wish to replace it. It has been in place for 20 years and has gotten rather discolored.

By Sue M.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

The larger home improvement stores should be able to tell you what to do. I have seen programs on TV that shows how to paint old counter tops so that they look like granite. There is a special paint for counter tops, and I do remember that painting them to look like granite required several steps.

I was facing the same challenge a couple of months ago and discovered an awesome DIY product from Daich Coatings that I used to put a real stone finish right over our old laminate countertop in the kitchen.

It's called the SpreadStone Countertop Finishing Kit. It's all roller applied and goes on as easy as painting. You just roll on a base coat, followed by a stone layer and then a clear coat. All applications are applied about an hour apart, which made for a very fast project.

The product claims to be stain resistant, heat resistant and impact resistant, which it seems to be. Very durable surface! We had to sand down the stone layer a bit before putting on the clear coat and it was incredibly tough after only four hours.

Also liked the fact that there was no epoxy involved or any odor. Product is also food safe.

We joke that it's the closest you're going to get to a real granite countertop for under $150. Couldn't believe the results. Very authentic! Our friends and family love it too.

Check them out at www.daichcoatings.com. Have fun!

Because there are now paints on the market for painting formica countertops, I think you should be able to buy one to do your formica vanity. I plan to paint my melamine cupboards. Formica is a brand of melamine or the other way around.

Good luck

painting a countertop
Painting a Laminate Counter Top
Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomJune 4, 2012
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
Bathroom Vanity
Choosing a Bathroom Vanity Top
Painted Laminate Countertops
Best Sealant for Painted Laminate Countertops
Bathroom vanity made from an old dresser.
Making a Bathroom Vanity from an Old Dresser
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 8:15:06 AM on 10.0.2.91 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.