Filling a Gap in Laminate Countertop Before Painting

I am truly working on budget here. I have read the many posts as to how to paint counter tops and am excited. But, I also have an issue with the counter top in that it was not cut straight where the two pieces join at the corner. There is a gap along the length from the back to the front where the two pieces are supposed to join. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fill this gap?

By gailbie

I think I'd use paintable silicone caulk to fill the gap. If it's quite wide you can use a piece of old panty hose to create a base inside the gap for the caulk so it doesn't drip right through to the underside of the counter. LOL, ask me how I know this can happen:)

Attach the sides of the patch cut to size from the stocking to the edges of the gap with super glue-be sure to position the patch so that it dips a little into the gap area. Doing that will create enough fill so that if you need to, you can sand any caulk that has raised above the surface of the area you plan to paint. Make sure you let the caulk cure for at least 48 hours in a warm dry room before trying to sand it.

A squeezable (eliminates the need to purchase a caulk gun if you don't have one already) tube of paintable caulk shouldn't cost you more than $3USD at a hardware store or your local favourite big box store.

I realize it's too late for the original poster of the question, but for others with the same one, silicone won't take paint. Fill cracks with paintable caulk.

Best product I have used to fill cracks is Bondo. Dries very hard and can be sanded with electric sander. Might need an extra coat of primer on it before the regular priming is done.

Oil based paint and primers are the way to go. Sand between coats and do not apply in humid conditions. Allow plenty of curing time between coats. If your fingernail will scratch it, it's not ready to re-coat. No topcoat should be used. Most varnish type formulas are not water safe. Many will fish-eye when applied over oil based paints.

One note: Make sure your paint is not too thick. It should flow lightly over the countertop.

35 years experience in commercial painting.