Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remedies for Cat Allergies

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Woman Hold Cat

If you find that you or a member of your family are allergic to your cat, it can be a big problem. This guide is about remedies for cat allergies.

Solutions: Remedies for Cat Allergies

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Reduce Cat Allergies With Monthly Bathing

If someone in your family is allergic to cats, you can still have a cat! Stop the allergies by bathing the cat once a month. My daughter is allergic to cats so we got a kitten and started bathing her once a week for several months, then we slowed down to every other week, then only once a month after a while. I've done this with several cats. If you start them out young, the kittens don't mind the water at all and will just relax and enjoy their bath. Believe me it really does stop cat allergies. This is backed up by research from universities.

It's usually the cat's "dander" that causes most allergies. Just make sure the water is warm but not hot (I used my elbow to gauge the temp like you would for a babies bath) and start at the cat's bottom and move to the front. Be extra careful when you wash their sweet little heads and keep the soap out of their eyes. I recommend a "no tears" shampoo for their heads. If you have a spray nozzle attached to your sink, it's a bonus, otherwise use a small pitcher or cup.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Remedies for Cat Allergies.

Question: Remedy for Allergy to Cats

I have 3 cats, I can pet them no problem, but if I sit where they've sat I start to itch. I break out in little bumps that really itch. Please help me.

By Betsy

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki H.12/26/2012

Pantothenic acid. It is part of a B vitamin. In a book written by (I forget name at the moment) a very ahead of her time lady. She wrote "You are What You Eat". This works on severe cat allergy where throat closes, eyes swell and all that jazz. She says to O D just a little. It passes on through if your body does not grab it.

Question: Home Remedy for Allergies to Cats

I recently took in a kitten that needed a home. I have a best friend whom I love very much. But I didn't find out she had allergies to cats until recently. Now she doesn't want to come over anymore. Is there something she can take that is not a drug, so her allergies won't bother her when she stays over? Please help!

By Suhaylah

Most Recent Answer

By Dana McLaughlin A.11/03/2013

The best thing for your to do if you want your friend to visit is to ensure that you vacuum everything and frequently. Make sure your cat is in the other room when she comes. Medication will help your friend for only so long. I find when I take allergy medication it seems to drive my allergy into my lungs. Making me sick with bronchitis or a chest cold. You may just have to visit your friend at her house. Just make sure you didn't touch your cat that morning as the dander on your clothes can affect your friend.

Question: Preparing a Home for Someone With Cat Allergies

I am in the process of buying a townhouse but the previous resident had a cat or cats in the home and my daughter is allergic to cats. How can I throughly clean the house so my daughter doesn't end up having allergy attacks or asthma attacks? I am wondering whether it is worth it to buy this home if I have to invest in a lot of money just to clean it before we move in. Thank you.

Maria from Las Vegas, NV

Most Recent Answer

By Sheila (Guest Post)01/24/2009

My brother-in-law is severely allergic to cats as well. Their biggest requirement when home buying was no pets. Found the perfect house, yes no pets so good to go. Only the previous owners had had cats. Of course they only found this out later.

They moved in and within hours he started having a severe attack. He had to live with his folks (hours away) for around a week while rest of the extended family cleaned his new house. They scrubbed everything -ceiling, walls, baseboards, wooden blinds - everything. Removed the almost new carpet and had to buy new etc. It was terrible and so expensive.

If you do go ahead w/ this purchase have the duct work cleaned. There was all kinds of pet hair/dander (dog and cat) in their ducts.

They love their house now, but the labor, expense and worry was almost more than they could handle. Good luck.