Remedies for Dogs With Gas

If your dog has problems with flatulence, it must be something in their diet. This guide is about remedies for dogs with gas.

April 10, 2014 Flag

I had a terrible experience with my male Boston Terrier and his stinky constant gas explosions and diarrhea. I changed his food constantly which did not solve the problem since I got him in 2010 as a puppy. Finally I said no more so I took him to his vet. After he was weighed and checked, he was found to be overweight.

He was at an obese 37 pounds, where he should be in the 20s. The vet put him on a Royal Canin Veterinarian diet with venison and potatoes. He gets 1/4 to 1 cup of food a day and no treats. He tries not to eat the food, but it is all I give him except a dentastix at night so he has no choice. It has been 3 weeks on the diet and he is down to 33 1/4 lbs. No gas, no diarrhea, and no farting.

I am a happy person and he is a non stinky dog. Now if I could cure his snorting and snoring when he sleeps that would be a winner, but loving him is enough.

Source: My Vet

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They should get at least 1/2 cup in morning and 1/2 cup at night. You are starving him. Exercise him more.

December 16, 2013 Flag

Large dogs tend to eat their food too fast and inhale air which causes gas. By placing a tennis ball in the bowl, they must eat slower. This reduces the amount of gas your dogs will have.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The dog will remove the tennis ball, then continue to eat too fast.

December 10, 2009 Flag

We have a wonderful dog who is a Lab. He is a great pet, but he has awful gas. When this occurs it stinks up the whole room and makes us sick to our stomach. It is so bad that I have a large can of Lysol by my chair to freshen the air after his episode.

We have not switched his food and he does not get table scraps. I am wondering if anyone knows why this is happening all the sudden and if there is anything we can do for him and us, because I'm sure he has to be uncomfortable also.

By angela77 from IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

We were feeding our Boxer Ol' Roy dog food and it was awful. After we changed to Purina Lamb and Rice, we stopped having this problem. Also, when we have fed her canned cheap dog food she had gas. We also never feed her raw hides. It bothers her stomach and I read it isn't good for dogs. J. B.

Best Answer

While a trip to the vet might be in order, until you can get him/her into see the vet. You can give them a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds (I brown mine in a bit of olive oil or real butter) and mix it into their food, and while it doesn't stop the gas. It changes the odor and makes it more tolerable.

I have also give my dogs a tablespoon of canned pumpkin and that seems to help also. Most dogs are like people; when they have to go they get gassy, so a long walk might be in order also, but the fenugreek really works.

Best Answer

Add some yogurt to the food. Works like a charm! Good luck.

January 23, 2011 Flag

Luci is a 10 week old Boxer. I feed her a very nutritional food 3x a day. The problem is her flatulence, it's silent, but very deadly! It's embarrassing when we are out and when guests come over. She can literally clear a room. She doesn't seem to have any discomfort and is regular in her bm. Is there something I should do differently or just get used to apologizing?

By Amberly from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Just in case this isn't from natural causes only, it may also be worms. They cause flatulence and the odor is strong. Have the dog checked for worms and get a can of Lysol Spray Disinfectant as that helps clear the room of odor too.

Boxers are known gas factories.

Plenty of good tips here as far as making sure all is well and normal and I see no need to apologize to anyone for her normal bodily functions! Just make a joke out of it, and were it me, my sense of humor would be inclined to blame the odor on the guest sitting or standing the closest to your baby girl with a laugh and a smile ! ;-)

March 10, 2016 Flag

My one year old Boxer has gas. I've seen a vet and x-rays showed gas. I changed her food to grain free (Rachel Ray) and she still has gas explosions along with eating grass to throw up the gassy stomach fluids. I don't want to put her on Pepcid and other suggestions? Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It seems like your dog probably has a food allergy. And not one that is fun to live with. It is not easy to find the culprit to eliminate from her diet. You will need to invest some time educating yourself about the common allergies. Then try a diet with out that food. Start by looking for pet food allergy posts on this website. There are many. It is a process but you can do it and your dog will be very grateful. My dog was allergic to many things, but I eventually found the culprit, and cooked for him for the rest of his life. He ate brown rice, olive oil and canned salmon and never had another problem until he died at 17 years old.

February 7, 2016 Flag

What can I give my dog for gas until I can get her to the vet?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I believe that you can buy charcoal tablets from your local pet shop to give the dog. Follow the instructions to how many to give the dog.

Is there anything else like pepto or gas-x or Zantac I can give him now? Pet stores r closed now.

October 2, 2014 Flag

I have a 6 month old Pitbull. He has had gas for three days. It is bad. What can I give him for it?

By Renee H. from Washington, DC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We took in an older dog with worms who passed gas frequently and had diarrhea. When we took her to the vet, she was worm checked and all symptoms cleared up after treatment.

I checked petsmart and petco and nobody is selling the charcoal tablets

you can buy charcoal tabs or powder at health food stores

January 25, 2008 Flag

I have a 3 year old Boston Terrier and she has become increasingly gassy over the past few months. It's so nasty, it could knock you over. I don't know how to express the glands nor is that something I think I want to do myself! Are there any other options?

Pamela from Illinois

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Boston Terrier too and he has very bad gas, I have tried different foods and do not feed my dog any table scraps. I was also looking for suggestions on this topic and thats how I found this web site. I think I will try a few of the ideas posted by some of the others above.

That's just how Botons are. Try Nutro sensitive stomach food. It's been a been help for my Boston.

My 8 month old Boston Terrier "Bella" has major gas.

So bad it will chase you out of the room. She does not eat table food just doggy food only. I think its a Boston thing. I had another Boston Terrier 8 years ago and the same gassy thing. Its in their genes!

January 2, 2014 Flag

I have a Great Dane and she has horrible gas. I would like if at all possible to avoid going to the vet. Is there anything I could do from home?

By Chrisitna D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Charcoal tablets are available from the pet shops for this - although these can also be bought from a health food store - some advise may be needed from a vet nurse or similar about the dosage for your dog.

July 24, 2013 Flag

May French Bulldog has gas. I need to know what to do about dog gas. He will clear the house. I changed his food to Rachel Ray's wet food and Iams dry. Can I give him meds to control it?
Help please.

By Christine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have boxers and they get very gassy as well. I was told that chicken in the food caused it. I changed to a lamb and rice food. Problem solved.

Hello,

How about a trip to your Veterinarian? I would take my fur baby to his/her Dr., and ask questions related to this specific problem. Your Vet might recommend a change in diet. Please do not feed your pet any table scraps. Good luck

December 6, 2014 Flag

Is there anything I can give my dog for gas?

By Scarlet from Salem, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sometimes a gassy dog has worms, but there are other causes for this. I would take the dog to a vet in case it is something more serious going on if you've done the worming and it still is happening.

December 23, 2009 Flag

I need a solution to a "bad" gas problem with my Boston Terrier.

By Joann from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a feeling the food you are feeding may be the problem. Just like us, when a dog eats something it is having trouble digesting, there will be stink. :) What are you feeding? Many dog foods in the stores have so many fillers that a dog cannot possibly digest them all. The stool will also be lighter in color and more pasty than formed. We like foods like Premium Edge and California natural.

I have read that gas in dogs can be caused by the dog eating while it is laying down. You can solve this by buying a dog feeder that is rasied so the dog stands on all 4's and is level to the bowl.You can also use old phone books or such to raise the bowl up and that might be just the answer.

Of course going to the Vet is the best option but you might try this for a bit and see if it cures

the problems. Good luck

BTs are known for their nuclear-powered stink bombs, which I believe is related to the amount of air they swallow being brachycephalic dogs (the smashed-in looking nose is a physical characteristic.) That's also why they snort and snore. too.

You might want to check with your vet, but I remember using liquid drops for babies with the anti-gas ingredient simethicone (Mylicon drops?) which did help. I sympathize with you; my own BT could clear a room in her younger years. They are wonderful dogs - good luck! truerblue in PA

November 16, 2013 Flag

My dog has gas. What can I do?

By Swati from Pune

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is due to recent food then provide him/her 5-10 ml of digene or gelusil twice after meal.if still the problem persists consult a vet.

October 14, 2015 Flag

We recently changed our dogs from homemade food to Blue adult. Now both dogs have horrible gas. What can we do to prevent this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 25, 2013
Woman at Gas Station
Gas Station Tips and Tricks
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Buying Gas
Buying Gas Jokes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 7:26:42 AM on 10.0.0.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.