Remedies for Dogs With Gas

Category Health
A bulldog with a flatulence problem
If your dog has problems with flatulence, it must be something in their diet. This guide is about remedies for dogs with gas.

I had a terrible experience with my male Boston Terrier and his stinky constant gas explosions and diarrhea. I changed his food constantly which did not solve the problem since I got him in 2010 as a puppy. Finally I said no more so I took him to his vet. After he was weighed and checked, he was found to be overweight.

He was at an obese 37 pounds, where he should be in the 20s. The vet put him on a Royal Canin Veterinarian diet with venison and potatoes. He gets 1/4 to 1 cup of food a day and no treats. He tries not to eat the food, but it is all I give him except a dentastix at night so he has no choice. It has been 3 weeks on the diet and he is down to 33 1/4 lbs. No gas, no diarrhea, and no farting.

I am a happy person and he is a non stinky dog. Now if I could cure his snorting and snoring when he sleeps that would be a winner, but loving him is enough.

Source: My Vet

Large dogs tend to eat their food too fast and inhale air which causes gas. By placing a tennis ball in the bowl, they must eat slower. This reduces the amount of gas your dogs will have.

We have a wonderful dog who is a Lab. He is a great pet, but he has awful gas. When this occurs it stinks up the whole room and makes us sick to our stomach. It is so bad that I have a large can of Lysol by my chair to freshen the air after his episode.

We have not switched his food and he does not get table scraps. I am wondering if anyone knows why this is happening all the sudden and if there is anything we can do for him and us, because I'm sure he has to be uncomfortable also.

By angela77 from IA

Answers

Best Answer

We were feeding our Boxer Ol' Roy dog food and it was awful. After we changed to Purina Lamb and Rice, we stopped having this problem. Also, when we have fed her canned cheap dog food she had gas. We also never feed her raw hides. It bothers her stomach and I read it isn't good for dogs. J. B.

Best Answer

While a trip to the vet might be in order, until you can get him/her into see the vet. You can give them a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds (I brown mine in a bit of olive oil or real butter) and mix it into their food, and while it doesn't stop the gas. It changes the odor and makes it more tolerable.

I have also give my dogs a tablespoon of canned pumpkin and that seems to help also. Most dogs are like people; when they have to go they get gassy, so a long walk might be in order also, but the fenugreek really works.

Best Answer

Add some yogurt to the food. Works like a charm! Good luck.

Best Answer

Your dog sounds like he has a digestion problem. You should ask the vet about this. You didn't say how old the dog is. Some dogs, like Bulldogs and Boston Terriers, normally pass a lot of gas because of the way they breathe, but I haven't heard of labs having that problem.

Luci is a 10 week old Boxer. I feed her a very nutritional food 3x a day. The problem is her flatulence, it's silent, but very deadly! It's embarrassing when we are out and when guests come over. She can literally clear a room. She doesn't seem to have any discomfort and is regular in her bm. Is there something I should do differently or just get used to apologizing?

By Amberly from TX

Best Answer

Just in case this isn't from natural causes only, it may also be worms. They cause flatulence and the odor is strong. Have the dog checked for worms and get a can of Lysol Spray Disinfectant as that helps clear the room of odor too.

I have a 3 year old Boston Terrier and she has become increasingly gassy over the past few months. It's so nasty, it could knock you over. I don't know how to express the glands nor is that something I think I want to do myself! Are there any other options?

Pamela from Illinois

Maybe she's allergic to something in her food. Did you change brands just before this started?

Gas and anal glands are two different things (also two different odors) If she is "scooting" and you notice a musky odor, then she'll need her anal glands expressed. A veterinarian or a groomer can do this for you.

1. Have you changed her diet recently? Added anything?

2. What kind of dog food are you feeding? Avoid dog foods sold in grocery stores, WalMart, etc. Feed the brands that are sold in pet stores. I feed Innova but Canidae, Wellness, Royal Canin, etc. are also good brands.

http://www.squi  -food-comparison

http://www.dogf  eviews/index.php

3. Did she get into something she shouldn't have?

4. Check with her breeder and ask for recommendations wrt the gas, dog food, etc.

Hope this helps.

Actually that breed of dog just has bad gas. A really good friend of mine has three Boston's and all three of them pass horrible gas, the vet told her it was the breed of dog, something to do with their digestive system. I know thats not good news for you, however the febreeze candles work well. LOL

Since the dog's problem has increased; look carefully at EVERYTHING the dog has been eating in the last few months whether or not you've given it to them. What seems like a tiny scrap of a snack could be making your home an unpleasant place to be! :)

That includes vegetables. They can give pets worse gas than you'd imagine.

The name of the food is irrelevant. You do want to pay careful attention to the foods and go through an elimination process to see what makes the problem better or worse. Compare the ingredients on the food when you notice a change and look for foods that eliminate the ingredients that make the problem worse.

Seems tedious but it's what you've got to do. Since you said the problem was worsening you really need to look hard at the changes in the last few months; no matter how small they might seem and start from there.

Also, I'd look up some boston terrier groups and ask them what they've heard about the problem to possibly give you a starting point.

Yes, yes, yes, that is just the "Boston Way" With our dog Capone, we kid him by saying that he has a "green fog" around him. I even remember back to the one I had as a child (in the 60's) and she had the exact same problem.

This is the results of something she is eating, stop the table scraps, if you dont feed those to her change her dog food to a different kind that is more digestible. Read the bags of various foods and some will say they are more digestible, of course they are more expensive, but what is price compared to what you are going through.

My vet also says Boston's are naturally gassy and I just switched foods three days ago to an organic food and he still has the same issue...I have 2 Shar pei and they don't have gas issues and none of them get table scraps just dog food.

Unfortunately, what the others have said is true: Bostons are prone to gas since they have those "shoved-in" noses and have to breathe through their mouths somewhat and therefore swallow a lot of air. And it gets worse as they age, which could be why yours has just now started having the problem. We had a Staffordshire Terrier, different breed I know, but she also had that shoved-in nose and also had a gas problem all her life until we switched her food to a lamb-and-rice-meal brand. The only meat was lamb and the only grain was rice and it made all the difference in the world. So not sure if it was the wheat she was allergic to in the other foods or the chicken or what, but it really made a difference, stopped the gas completely. Good luck!

The thing I have heard about dog gas is

the feeding bowl and location not what is in it.

Put the bowl on a footstool or small box so dog's

head and neck do not have to bend too much as the

air intake while eating is affected. You could try the

small box or something you have in your home to see if

your dog will eat the food off the higher food stand

BEFORE you rush out and spend lots of $$ on the high

food stands that they sell at stores.

Also some dogs try to eat while laying on the floor

again not a good idea for gas.

Good luck

I had a Boston terrier and I can personally vouch for the awful gas! Giving him/her chlorophyll tablets help a lot. I bought mine at the GNC store. Of course they turn the poop dark green, but does help!

I have a Boston Terrier too and he has very bad gas, I have tried different foods and do not feed my dog any table scraps. I was also looking for suggestions on this topic and thats how I found this web site. I think I will try a few of the ideas posted by some of the others above.

That's just how Botons are. Try Nutro sensitive stomach food. It's been a been help for my Boston.

My 8 month old Boston Terrier "Bella" has major gas.

So bad it will chase you out of the room. She does not eat table food just doggy food only. I think its a Boston thing. I had another Boston Terrier 8 years ago and the same gassy thing. Its in their genes!

My one year old Boxer has gas. I've seen a vet and x-rays showed gas. I changed her food to grain free (Rachel Ray) and she still has gas explosions along with eating grass to throw up the gassy stomach fluids. I don't want to put her on Pepcid and other suggestions? Help!

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a 6 month old Pitbull. He has had gas for three days. It is bad. What can I give him for it?

By Renee H. from Washington, DC

I have a Great Dane and she has horrible gas. I would like if at all possible to avoid going to the vet. Is there anything I could do from home?

By Chrisitna D

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I need a solution to a "bad" gas problem with my Boston Terrier.

By Joann from San Diego, CA

I have a feeling the food you are feeding may be the problem. Just like us, when a dog eats something it is having trouble digesting, there will be stink. :) What are you feeding? Many dog foods in the stores have so many fillers that a dog cannot possibly digest them all. The stool will also be lighter in color and more pasty than formed. We like foods like Premium Edge and California natural.

I have read that gas in dogs can be caused by the dog eating while it is laying down. You can solve this by buying a dog feeder that is rasied so the dog stands on all 4's and is level to the bowl.You can also use old phone books or such to raise the bowl up and that might be just the answer.

Of course going to the Vet is the best option but you might try this for a bit and see if it cures

the problems. Good luck

What can I give my dog for gas until I can get her to the vet?

May French Bulldog has gas. I need to know what to do about dog gas. He will clear the house. I changed his food to Rachel Ray's wet food and Iams dry. Can I give him meds to control it?
Help please.

By Christine

Is there anything I can give my dog for gas?

By Scarlet from Salem, VA

My dog has gas. What can I do?

By Swati from Pune

We recently changed our dogs from homemade food to Blue adult. Now both dogs have horrible gas. What can we do to prevent this?