Dog Has a Gas Problem

We have a wonderful dog who is a Lab. He is a great pet, but he has awful gas. When this occurs it stinks up the whole room and makes us sick to our stomach. It is so bad that I have a large can of Lysol by my chair to freshen the air after his episode.

We have not switched his food and he does not get table scraps. I am wondering if anyone knows why this is happening all the sudden and if there is anything we can do for him and us, because I'm sure he has to be uncomfortable also.

By angela77 from IA

Best Answer

We were feeding our Boxer Ol' Roy dog food and it was awful. After we changed to Purina Lamb and Rice, we stopped having this problem. Also, when we have fed her canned cheap dog food she had gas. We also never feed her raw hides. It bothers her stomach and I read it isn't good for dogs. J. B.

Best Answer

While a trip to the vet might be in order, until you can get him/her into see the vet. You can give them a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds (I brown mine in a bit of olive oil or real butter) and mix it into their food, and while it doesn't stop the gas. It changes the odor and makes it more tolerable.

I have also give my dogs a tablespoon of canned pumpkin and that seems to help also. Most dogs are like people; when they have to go they get gassy, so a long walk might be in order also, but the fenugreek really works.

Best Answer

Add some yogurt to the food. Works like a charm! Good luck.

Best Answer

Your dog sounds like he has a digestion problem. You should ask the vet about this. You didn't say how old the dog is. Some dogs, like Bulldogs and Boston Terriers, normally pass a lot of gas because of the way they breathe, but I haven't heard of labs having that problem.

Anonymous

I have a 15mth old lab and he has become very gassy, I've given him pumpkin but it does absolutely nothing for him

This link may help you find answers to your dog's problem.
http://answers. … 002160438AA5Uo1O

You could also ask your vet at the next visit (or make a special visit just for this). You could probably just call him/her and ask for suggestions. The vet might know of something that would be pertinent to the problem.

What the dog eats is the cause of gas. If you are choosing what goes in then don't blame the dog. Some dogs are sensitive to some things, just like people. Certain veggies or meats that can give us gas also give them gas. Too may rubbery type treats (bacon strips and such) can also do it. Too many table scraps can do it. Tell us what you're putting in and we might be able to help you nail it down. Just as a side note if it's table scraps that your feeding him - I bet yours don't smell much better.

The lamb-and-rice dog food worked for our dog too. (Turns out a lot of dogs are allergic to all grains but rice and to all meats but lamb.) Once we switched to the lamb-and-rice food, her gas stopped immediately and totally; worked like a miracle! Good luck.

My dog had a problem with corn in his dry food. Corn is used in most dry foods & many dogs have a problem with it. Try a different food. Poor doggie. I hope he feels better soon.

Its just the lab, as they get older that what happens, they are known for bad gas. My lab is very stinky its like a weapon, makes us leave the room.

Anonymous

Pepto Bismo tablets help release gas calm stomach acids. Allowed by my vet.

Anonymous

I changed my 7 MO puppy to purina pro plan focus. Immediately he had diarrhea with blood in it, vomiting and fever. I changed him over to Iams chicken and barley (no corn in it). Last night I was almost out and mixed it with with a tiny bit of the pro plan. OMG talk about rotten egg farts! The entire expensive bag of "good" food went to the trash. I wouldn't even give it to someone else to use. He can't process corn. It isn't even a natural ingredient for dogs.

My dog has a lot of gas. Should I change his food?

By montaldi from San Antonio

Answers:

Dog Has a Gas Problem

Food could be the cause as well as parasites. And have you had your dog checked for worms lately?

(09/14/2009)

By Lorelei

Dog Has a Gas Problem

First, how old is your dog? We had a rescue, and she started getting a lot of gas. She was fairly old, then she started having seizures just before she died. Our Vet said her heart gave out.

Then, a dog we had, got older, was diagnosed with heart disease, and put on a water pill. Toward the end, she started having a lot of gas.

I do let my dogs have some human food, but I always make certain the food is completely cooked through, like potatoes, carrots, peas, and rice. I never let them have any raw meat, and if I let them have a little poultry, I always skin it, de-bone it, and take off any fat. Then I make certain they have something else to eat with it, because their stool is loose if I don't give them something else.

And, if something is spoiled for human consumption, I don't let my dogs eat it either. Also, I read about onions and garlic being bad for dogs, especially onions being harmful to their blood. I hope your dog turns out just fine! (09/14/2009)

By Carol L.

Dog Has a Gas Problem

It may be the dog's breed that causes it to have gas. If the dog has a short snout, like a Boston Terrier or Pug, it will have gas because it takes in a lot of air while eating because of the short snout. If your dog has a short snout, there isn't a whole lot you can do (my Boston Terrier was 13 when she died. Believe me, I know about dog gas!). If it has a regular snout, it is probably the food. A lot of dog food has fillers that aren't so healthy. Researching the best, natural dog food would be your best bet. (09/15/2009)

By inabsentia

Dog Has a Gas Problem

My dog is 3 years old. She was having the same problem. I was feeding her Benefuldog food. Changed it to something else and the problem stopped. (09/15/2009)

By brenda23

Dog Has a Gas Problem

We have a 15 year old dog with gas problems. I now make all his food. I cook up ground beef with some oats in it and add either macaroni or bread crumbs to it for his meals. He will still have gas on occasion but I think it is because he gets into something outside. (09/17/2009)

By Hill8628

Dog Has a Gas Problem

I heard a vet talk about this on a show years ago. He said most gas problems in dogs is caused by the dog food bowls being too low, and or dogs that eat while lying down. He said to put the dog food bowl up higher, as it aids in not getting so much air as they eat. Pet stores sell these tall feeders. I have a small doggie, and I just put his food on a foot stool and have not had gas problems. Good luck. (09/27/2009)

By meoowmom