Remedy for Pain from New Dentures

I'm in my mid 30s and had full extraction done 11 months ago. I was one of those babies who's mother was given something for morning sickness that ended up causing soft teeth and bones. I had a whopping 13 left and I was often mistaken for a druggie because of it, ugh! I am not tooting my own horn, but I am a pretty, voluptuous woman who just hid most of her late twenties and early thirties because of it.

So I said goodbye to my bulky temporary dentures about a week ago and got my nifty, slimmer and surprisingly natural looking "permanent" set. The tops are awesome. The bottoms fit fantastically, but I am so freaking sore by the end of the day and it hurts and is bruised so badly that to put it back in when I go to get ready in the morning I actually cry. I've been swishing with salt water and taking Advil. Any other advice?

Best Answer

You need to check with the dentist to see if you have an infection in your lower gums. They should not be as painful as this. While you are there you can ask him/her to check the fit. There are some wonderful pain relief solutions here; let's hope that soon you won't be needing them!

You should call the dentist that provided your dentures for help to correct your pain problem. With the pain you describe, perhaps they can provide medication or other assistance to help.

I got 8 teeth pull got my denture and first they were to tight. Got them repair and felt good for to day. I took them out it a bump on my gum swollen and hurt to put them. I can't keep them on.

Awwwww.....sounds awful!

You probably have to break them in slowly by not wearing them all day until your gums harden to accept them BUT you should also tell your dentist in case the fit isn't exactly right. They can test for sore spots rubbing and causing your pain!

I wish you the best for your bravery in making that decision!

:-)

I'd definitely talk to the dentist and also see if something like Ora-Gel would help.

A few months ago, I had problem with a tooth that finally needed a root canal, but until I could have that, I started swishing whiskey (and spitting it out) around the tooth. (I'd always heard that rubbing whiskey on a baby's gums would help with teething, from my grandmother.) It worked-- made the whole side of my mouth numb.

I even carried a dropper bottle full of whiskey with me to church that week. I called it "my flask."

My husband told me I needed to dilute it, so I did, but before it was over, I was swishing it full-strength. Surprisingly, I found that I didn't dislike the taste of whiskey as much as I'd thought I would.

We'd had a bottle of Crown Royal that somebody gave us years ago, and neither of us drink that much, so I used a cup of it once for cooking a Thanksgiving turkey and now have found another use for it.

I was hospitalised for a nasty, painful disease but couldn't use any pain relief meds because of the disease ... so, my specialist suggested I have a cup of whiskey, warm milk & honey when the pain got too bad. The nurses kept a bottle of whiskey at the desk for me, so that I'd have a capful of whiskey in the warm milk a few times/day ... & Yes, I also began to enjoy my whiskey flavoured warm milk! I now have a cup if I'm having trouble sleeping, or I have a nasty cold & can't get relief as it also seems to help 'sweat it out' of my system ... & I get a decent sleep as well. Yes, I'm a one glass wonder when it comes to alcohol so I guess that's why a capful is enough for me ... but occasionally I 'slip' with the bottle & the excess overflows into the cup! ;)

Rub Ora gel on your gums a minute before you put your teeth in temporarily until you can make an appointment with the dentist where you got your teeth from.

Harlean from Arkansas

My dentist recommended putting the dentures in the cup they gave me and put them in the freezer for awhile. When you put them back in it feels so good, and helps with any swelling that might be happening. Sucking on a pop sickle or ice chips help too while your waiting.

I'm in the same boat. Bottom dentures are never right. One day they feel fine the next i have ulcers and pain! The glues ooze and choke me to death. I have found a little trick that seems to work pretty well I spred my fixodent place the dentures in the freezer for a bit and then just before placing them in my mouth I spray sore throat medicine on them. It has helped and I've found some relief by doing this

I have found removing denture then swilling round mouth with a soluble 1000mg paracetymol before swallowing does help. I know it is a long job to be totally comfortable with your lower denture, my mouth is full of ulcers at the moment, very painful. Freezer tip helps too.

I was born with a cleft lip and palate, apparently because of this the blood didn't circulate in my mouth correctly and they pretty much told my mom at birth that I would be lucky to make it to 20 with real teeth. I'm now 21 and after suffering for the majority of my life from abscess' in my mouth I had all 22 rotted and infected teeth pulled that were remaining and while they performed the surgery they shaved my gums. I had immediate dentures put in that day and the first few days were some of the most painful of my life. It's now almost a month later and I have to have a second surgery for bone spurs as I currently have about 10 that are just refusing to fall out on their own. However the pain from them rubbing under the denture constantly is enough to send you up a wall. I'm so thankful for this thread and am going to try a bunch of suggestions you've all made. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope you feel better as well. I know that having dentures is a journey and a lot of adjusting and filing and such to get the perfect fit, may yours all be as peaceful as possible. (:

Brittany- Bless your sweet heart, I'm so sorry for all of the grief you must've suffered all of your life in one form or another. I can easily see by 'listening' to you that you have a very kind and loving heart. I also wear dentures through ' no fault of my own' - and dentures seem so common that I don't think most people realize that they are truly a prosthetic, and can be both painful and difficult to adjust to. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and may God bless and keep you always!

How long does it take for the pain to go away

I have had my dentures about 3 years and my gums are still bleeding and sore what's going on

Advice for pain after extractions of lower dentures and having to wear them. Had it done this morning 5 lower teeth remaining had them out and a new denture put in, was great until the freezing wore off. I took a sleeping pill and could not sleep the pain was so bad, just took 2 percocets generic and a half of tylenol 3 sure did the trick used my pill cutter just 20 minutes ago and my pain is completely gone. Now I can relax and get some sleep. You really do need powerful pain meds and you can ask your dentist for a couple of days worth.

Got my new dentures in these are just till the.righr fitted ones are in place but upper and bottoms rub because bottoms.are loose in a.few weeks the one who designed them will see me but now I'm sore doctor said need the rubbing for teeth to.adjust and.helps.pramote healing is this correct

I got an immediate set on my top on 8/1/16 and I also have sore spots on my gums so what I've been doing is salt water and I got Colgate Peroxyl mouth sore rinse Alcohol Free mild mint and it's amazing it doesn't hurt my gums at all I recommend trying this Its kinda pricey but there is different kinds of it like Orajel makes some too just make sure it's alcohol free I hope this works for ya I'm right there with ya with the pain  Good Luck

I just got upper denture I was so much pain fondly day 5 I put oral gel in my teeth like incident omg what a difference it worked all day numbing the pain ask your dentist it was a pres option gel

Good luck

I Fix my dentures myself by filing down The areas that hurt with a small knive sharpener then afters they fit nicely

I can't use chemical denture goop so I soak bazooka bubble gum in water to get out the dyes and sugar. Strip off outer layer and soak more, then rinse and put it in my denture. Works great and full of chemicals. Use alcohol to cleanse residue after brushing.

Numz-it is good for babies and adults with mouth pain.

you should not be having pain like this,,, also the salt water might be adding to the soreness. try some of that gum numbig topical edicine until you can reach the dentist good luck !

A woman in pain wearing dentures.
Remedies for Pain from Wearing Dentures
Health & Beauty Home RemediesSeptember 20, 2015
black lab
Home Remedies for Pets
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Temporary Dentures
Getting Temporary Dentures
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 2:07:14 PM on 10.0.1.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.