Removing Acrylic Nails

There are some easy steps you can follow to remove your acrylic nails painlessly. This is a guide about removing acrylic nails.

September 22, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about life after acrylic nails. Finger nails can be weak and rough after using fake nails and need some TLC.

Woman looking at nails through a magnifying glass with distaste

April 15, 2015 Flag

How do I remove my acrylic nails after wearing for one week?

By Paige M.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Soak your entire nail bed is pure acetone. I am not sure if I spelled it right, but that is what you need.

Sharon is right...you can find nail polish remover that has a high acetone content. Fill a small glass container with the liquid and soak your nails in it until they fall off. Be sure to moisturize your nails well afterwards, as the acetone dries them out.

May 27, 2015 Flag

I had acrylic nails put on and they were pretty grown out. I hit my pinky nail and ripped a small bit of my real nail off. As you can imagine it's very painful. I took all my other nails off and had no problem, but I'm trying to find a way to get my pinky nail off with there being already a ton of pain and swelling in my finger. I'm afraid to do the soak or use a cotton ball with the thought of it burning and the nail is not lifting to put a piece of floss under to try to get it that way. Please help I just want the nail off maybe it'll help the pain and healing process if the acrylic nail is off.

In this case, you will want to treat the nail like it is your natural nail. It has already been traumatized, and may have small open wounds which would make using acrylic nail remover torturous and dangerous. Trim the nail as close to your fingertip as possible. Wear a band-aid on the finger, to minimize contamination and re-injury. As it grows, trim it, until either the ripped part has been trimmed off, or it is healed enough to use nail remover. After you remove the acrylic nail, give it plenty of time to heal and become strong on its own, before using any false nails. Keep it trimmed close, and just let it grow for a while, until it feels stronger. Good luck!

(source-I was a licensed cosmetologist-we had to learn all about nails, too)

August 11, 2010 Flag

For 1 year, my fake nail has been over my own nail. The doctor said it will grow out, but it has been a year. It is nasty looking. My friend said go to another doctor and see about having my finger numbed around the area and cut cuticle and separate the fake nail and my own nail. The fake nail seems to be under cuticle. Help.

By Pam from Hamilton, OH

You better go to a different doctor!

Go to the nail place and let them soak your nail in acetone. The nail will come off. They do it every day.

March 2, 2010 Flag

What is an easy and safe way to remove an acrylic overlay over natural nails?

By Lisa from Fort Wayne, IN

I removed mine with hot water. I just soaked my nails and pulled them gently off.I used tweezers to help. At the nail salon, they do same thing.My nails took about 2-1/2 years to return to a semi-normal state. They have been a mess - peeling, breaking, soft, soft, soft!

Not sure if you mean the new ones that look like what we use to call "fake" nails or not that you used a glue to put the complete nail right over your own, if it is that glue is like super glue. I tried them and had a terrible time getting them off, after all it is super glue. No way would have hot water taken mine off. I had to remove them the same way as the liquid acrylics that are built up.

You use acetone nail polish remover to soak them in, be very gentle removing the acrylic so as not to do any more damage to your own nail. The acetone is what melts the acrylic. Don't gouge or scrape your nail, use a wooden stick such as an orange cuticle stick from a manicure kit or popcycle stick would work. Just be patient and let the nail polish do it's work, it will take quite a while but it will be the best method for your real nails.

Do not peel the acrylic off when it feels like it will come just keep pushing the melted goo off until you are down to your own nails. I can't stress this enough especially if you have worn the acrylics for several years. Your own nails are most likely going to be soft and easily damaged, good luck from the voice of a slow learner, took me three times until I learned my lesson. Still paying the price with ruined nails 15 years later.

July 13, 2013 Flag

My acrylic nail has snapped and so has my nail halfway down! It is very painful and I don't know how to get it off as soaking it in nail varnish remover is obviously very painful too. Can anyone give me advice at all?

By Katherine B

I have done the exact same thing once last week and I put a plaster over it and let my nail grow until the end fell off. I've now done it again more than halfway down my nail and can't possibly live for two weeks with this awful pain or longer even. So I need help too. But maybe the plaster thing will work for you!!

January 5, 2010 Flag

I am not able to get acrylic product off my fingers. When attempting to remove acrylic nails by soaking as usual, it appears this product only dissolved enough to spread all around the cuticle and entire finger. I have searched everywhere and cannot find any similar situations. I have applied and removed acrylics many times, but this one product is the only one I have ever had this problem with.

I have tried more than once to soak, but it doesn't seem to remove the product, it just spreads and hardens again. In good lighting and magnified, you can see what appears to be a yellow, shiny product. It appears that the product is still covering the entire nail, leaving this shiny yellow coloring. I have attached a picture. Can someone please help me?

By Renee from Provo, UT

If any of the nail glue remains on your nails, simply buff this off with a nail buffer. Be gentle and use a light touch to avoid damaging your natural nails.

Step 11 Apply a moisturizing hand cream to your hands and massage in well. This will help replace any lost moisture from the acetone polish remover. I use Vaseline, good luck.

I found this article...may help

http://www.123healthynails.com/Removing-Acrylic-Nails-s/43.htm

November 17, 2009 Flag

I currently have these bio gel nails which are the best quality nails on the market as they let your nail breathe and do not damage them, but they are expensive. I need to look professional for work and since my own nails aren't very strong and I am not good at doing my nails these are perfect and look incredible. I must say I am very happy with them.

The problem is, I will be done on my work contract in a couple of months which means I will not have money for the upkeep, but I do admit I love this new french manicure look. I would like to know if anyone knows how to remove these bio gel nails (I saw information on acrylic nails on here, but I don't have those and I imagine the process is different).

Also, what can I do to have an inexpensive french manicure look? I have seen fake nails at the drugstore and wondered if those would look as good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

I would strongly suggest you have them professionally removed. I had nails professionally done for a wedding but afterward had too much trouble working with them on. I decided to take them off myself and nearly destroyed my natural nails. Over a year later my own nails are still weak.

What are bio gel nails?

August 11, 2010 Flag

It's easy to soak finger tips in a bowl of acetone to remove artificial nails, but how do you do toenails? I don't want to soak my whole foot in the stuff.

By Sharon from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

FYI: you want to avoid acrylic nails on toes, you will run a very high risk of nail fungus and it is very difficult to cure, the meds for it can cause liver damage and don't always take care of it. (05/24/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Acrylic Nails

I just had an idea do not know if it will work or not. Seems like it will. I would soak some cotton balls in nail polish remover until nice and wet. Then I would put one on each toe and wrap aound with medical tape. I am not sure, but seems like that would work with out having to soak in a tub of it. I would wear sandals or something like that to catch any run off of the polish remover. Let me know if this works. (05/25/2010)

By cutepachef

Removing Acrylic Nails

Apply petroleum jelly or Alba brand Un-Petroleum Jelly (if you're sensitive to petroleum based products like I am) to the skin on your toes and around the nail bed to prevent your skin from absorbing the acetone. Try soaking a cotton ball in acetone and using a strip of aluminum foil to hold it in place for 15-20 minutes. Once you take the cotton ball off, the acrylic will immediately start to harden, so gently remove the acrylic from one nail at a time, starting with one of your pinky toes. This gives the acetone a bit more time to work on your bigger toes.

If you do have issues with fungus on your toenails, rub a drop of pure sandalwood oil (it can be a bit spendy for the unadulterated stuff) to each affected nail twice a day until the nail color is normal. This can take a few months to work. This is a safe anti-fungal that does not have the negative effects on your liver that the drugs your doctor can prescribe do. (07/06/2010)

By LKay8

May 22, 2010 Flag

How do you remove acrylic nails?

By Ruthcarelli from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

Professionally done takes longer, but you soak them in acetone. Be patient and I hope your real nails are not ruined. I got lucky and mine weren't damaged. (06/18/2009)

By keeper60

Removing Acrylic Nails

Soak them in acetone. When I have removed mine in the past, I have rubbed them while in the acetone. I am not sure if it sped up the process, but it kept me from going crazy! (06/22/2009)

By jahummell

Removing Acrylic Nails

I am a former Nail Tech and a District Manager for Sally Beauty Co. I can say without hesitation that the Nail Tek equivalent at Sally Beauty is virtually identical. I also recommend a product called "Gelous" for maintenance and strength once your nails are on the mend. And always moisturize with oils and creams. Good luck. (12/02/2009)

By Sallygal

June 18, 2009 Flag

How do I remove acrylic nails from my big toes? They were attached to my skin (because I previously lost the toenails).

By Thuyb1

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

Hi,
You need to soak your toe(s) in nail polish remover. You need to warm it up to activate it, please be careful when doing this, especially in the microwave. It is very flammable! Let it soak, it should start to become gel like, and work it off with a file and clippers. Best of luck! Crystal NC (04/16/2009)

By CBLAISDELL

Removing Acrylic Nails

Yikes! If you've glued it to your skin, try soaking your toe in nail polish remover. It may take a long time soaking, don't pull it off! And don't soak if your toe is not completely healed. (04/16/2009)

By ivorylov

April 14, 2009 Flag

How do I remove acrylic nails so I can have gel nails done?

December 16, 2008 Flag

How do I remove acrylic nails?

October 15, 2008 Flag

How do I remove fake nails?

May 5, 2008 Flag

I got nails about two weeks ago. They are not the whole fake nail, they are acrylic pink and whites and were put on with a paint of some sorts?

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsMarch 30, 2013
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
acrylic paint
Painting With Acrylic Paint on Plastic
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🎄