Cleaning Blood Stains on Carpet

Category Carpet
hydrogen peroxide cleaner
Blood stains can be a challenge to remove without damaging the carpet dye. This is a guide about cleaning blood stains on carpet.

How can I remove really dark stains from tan carpet? Some are from milk and some were from when my Dad was ill and got blood on it.

By BLW from Anderson, IN

Best Answer

I'm not sure about milk but I've found an easy way to get blood out of things. I've used hydrogen peroxide to remove blood from furniture. I'm sure it would work with carpets too. I just pour a little on and let it bubble. Then I dab it up with an absorbant cloth (I use old cloth diapers left over from when my children were little). Depending on the size of the spot, it may take a few pours of the H2O2 to get it done.

Good Luck

Brandy from Missouri

Best Answer

You could also try white vinegar. I found that it removed wine stains from my carpets.

Best Answer

Yup, the hydrogen peroxide works on blood. Use a 50/50 solution with warm water, sprinkle a little salt on the stain after spritzing, rub with cloth and voila!

Anonymous
Best Answer

I mixed cold waterand peroxide,sprayed it and rubbed it with a white clean cloth. Seems to have worked good.

My son was killed in my car. The Sheriff's Department gave me my car back, but I can see the blood of my son on my carpet. It has been 2 years.

By June from West Palm Beach, FL

Best Answer

Is there any way you can trade in this car for another one? There is no way you need to be still driving the car your son was killed in. This has got to be affecting you psychologically.

What is the easiest way to get blood stains out of a carpet?

By Cindy Lou from OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

3% volume hydrogen peroxide (the kind you buy at the pharmacy in a brown bottle). Pour a little bit on the spots, allow to set a couple of minutes and then press with a slightly damp cloth. Repeat if neccessary until the stain is removed. Be sure to test for color fastness in an inconspicous portion of carpet first though!

How do I get rid of an old blood stain on carpet?

By dp

Best Answer

Enzyme products such as for pet stains might work; but if

there's an old protein stain like blood I always try ammonia

[plain, not ammonia cleaner] in dish soap water, as it breaks

down proteins well.

I hope someone can help. My dog tore off one of his claws last night and bled all over the house on the carpets. I tried a Resolve type cleaner and it hasn't helped at all. He also got some blood on my sofa and cleaning it made it worse. I live in senior housing and the rugs are only a year old. Any suggestions?

Answers

If the blood has dried on your carpet you will need to brush the blood stain with a steel brush. This will loosen the stain and remove the surface deposit.

Afterwards, mix one teaspoon of dishwashing detergent with 2 cups of cold water. Use a clean white cloth and dip it in your mixture. Afterwards, blot the stain on your rug. You will need to blot the stain repeatedly to remove the stain.

A second way to remove the blood stain if this doesnt work is to mix half a cup of warm water with one tablespoon of ammonia. Use a sponge or clean cloth to dip into your liquid and apply directly on the blood stain. Afterwards, blot the stain until the liquid is absorbed. Then dip a sponge in cold and apply it directly on the stain. Afterwards, blot dry.

Mix 1/2 a cup of warm water with one tablespoon of ammonia. Using a cloth or sponge, apply the ammonia solution directly onto the blood stain. Blot the stain until the liquid is fully absorbed.

Try hydrogen peroxide on an inconspicuous spot first. It is good for removing blood.

Resolve stain remover has some solutions for carpets that work well. Oxiclean and hydrogen peroxide also works very well to remove blood stains. These you will have to test in an inconspicuous area because they may bleach certain fabrics. They also will need some diluting and a soft cloth to blot with. I have used both of these with success following directions, but it may depend on the carpet itself whether you can use them.

Thanks to all for taking the time to answer. My rug looks better, but not back to normal yet.

Hopefully you have restored your rug and sofa to their original state but for future reference you may wish to keep a link of suggestions in your favorites.

One most important point is to NEVER rub - only blot a carpet or furniture stain as rubbing it will spread the stain. With a large stain always work from the outside to the middle so not to spread the stain. And - always - test an inconspicuous area before trying any solution - even water.

Most cleaning sites will state to start with plain water and remove as much blood as possible. Use a clean white cloth (terrycloth is best) and keep blotting with water until no trace of blood is seen on the cloth. If that does not work then go to the next mildest step/method.

One important step that so many people do not mention is to remove as much liquid/moisture from your carpet as possible before going to the next step/method. This can be done using clean towels/cloths and putting heavy weight on the towel over the spot. Standing on the towel usually works and keep turning the towel until most moisture is gone.

Be careful with some suggestions especially if you do not know what material your carpet is made of as some solutions can do damage quickly. Be careful with salt (has to vacuumed soon as not to cut carpet later), hydrogen peroxide and ammonia can remove color/fade (make carpet lighter in spots).

Here are some links that have different suggestions but sometimes one solution will work better for different carpets.

http://www.wiki  ains-from-Carpet

http://www.good  ve-blood-stains/

http://spotremo  od-out-of-carpet

How do I remove dried blood from carpet?

By Linda from AZ

Feedback

Blood Stain on Carpet

Linda, I had the same problem and used a product called Spot Shot. You can find it at WalMart and I see small cans of it in Dollar stores. This stuff is really good and now I always keep a can around. Spray some on and dab the spot. It's almost like the stain rises to the top. It worked for me. Hope you have the same luck! (02/28/2011)

By maryeruth

Blood Stain on Carpet

Pour on the peroxide. Test in area that will now show. If it does not stain the carpet, use peroxide and rub it in. Take a clean cloth and rub more until the stain is out. Great for clothing, too. (02/28/2011)

By Karyn01

What is the best method for cleaning a large amount of dried blood from light carpet?

By Les

Answers:

Blood Stain on Carpet

Oxiclean and cold water really does work even on light carpet. Just dab it on and let it set for a minute. Then take a paper towel and blot it dry. We have light blue carpet and the Oxiclean brought it back to its normal shade of blue. (12/03/2010)

By Dawnab

Blood Stain on Carpet

It really works! Just use the edge of your vacuum cleaner on the dried blood and it comes off without leaving a mark! Brilliant, and when you think about it, it is perfectly logical.
Thanks so much to the person who suggested this! (01/06/2011)

By plonky

Blood Stain on Carpet

The salt and hydrogen peroxide method works amazingly well (see earlier posts). Sprinkle table salt on the spot, spray with a 50/50 ratio of cold water and hydrogen peroxide, let sit for a minute or so and rub out with a rag. Voila! (02/16/2011)

By dreamwvr

My daughter's cat just had unplanned surgery and she is bleeding from her butt. She is in a new apartment and is concerned about getting blood out of carpet should it happen. Any suggestions would be helpful.

By Barbara from OH

Answers:

Blood Stain on Carpet

Dab hydrogen peroxide on the spots with a cotton ball. Dab, don't rub! I gave an injured dog a ride to the vet in my beige velvety cushioned car, blood everywhere! The vet staff gave me this hint and it got every bit out. Yes, it took time, but no blood stains. Good luck to your daughter and kitty. (09/23/2010)

By tahloolabelle

Blood Stain on Carpet

Just pour on a little bit of hydrogen peroxide onto the carpet/blood stain, wait a few minutes and blot dry with a wash cloth. (09/25/2010)

By Deeshep

How do you remove dried blood stains from a beige colored carpet?

By Diane from Abbottstown, PA

Answers:

Blood Stain on Carpet

Try hydrogen peroxide. That's how we get it out of our uniforms. (05/17/2010)

By hcannon

Blood Stain on Carpet

I had dried human blood drops all over the carpet. At least 100 drops. You will need container of diluted dishsoap water solution (maybe a half teaspoon soap for 3 cups water), water sprayer, and small wet/dry vacuum. With the solution, wet down stain thoroughly with water sprayer bottle. About 30 seconds to a minute later, dip a half paper towel into the soapy water, squeeze about 2 tablespoons soapy water onto the blood drop. Let set for about a minute. Massage into carpet with fingers for about 15-30 seconds. Add about 10 spays of water. Massage again for about 10 seconds. Vacuum up. That's it. Since I had so many, I finally discovered that this formula did it on most drops. Adding the water at the end provides additional liquid for the blood to flow through into the vacuum. For big drops, maybe a little more massage work. Honestly, I was quite surprised that this worked so well. (07/17/2010)

By pecarino

How can I get blood out of my cream wool carpet? My dog Meg is in heat.

By Lynne from UK

Answers:

Blood Stain on Carpet

Peroxide normally works once the blood is dried. But I would probably test in on the carpet in a spot that isn't seen, just in case. I've never seen it change the color of clothing or anything, but carpet is probably different. (04/10/2010)

By LuckyStar

Blood Stain on Carpet

I would buy any of the number of enzymatic pet stain removers which work on all of the things pets could possibly to to a carpet. The enzymes work on the stain to remove it. If you can't find one let me know. I will send you link to several of them.

Blessings. Robyn (04/10/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Blood Stain on Carpet

If you get to it quickly enough try a baby wet-wipe. They worked for me. (04/13/2010)

By AnnmacC

Blood Stain on Carpet

Try using an ice cube. Let it melt, then blot. You may have to do this a few times. You might also want to try blotting with ammonia, but test on a hidden area first. (04/14/2010)

By PDG

How do you remove dried blood from carpet?

I cut my finger several weeks ago and blood got on my carpet. I have used a shampoo machine, also Resolve, but the stain still remains.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.