Removing Blood Stains on Carpet

Blood stains can be a challenge to remove without damaging the carpet dye. This is a guide about removing blood stains on carpet.

hydrogen peroxide cleaner
Filter Sort

Question: Removing Milk and Blood Stains from a Tan Carpet

How can I remove really dark stains from tan carpet? Some are from milk and some were from when my Dad was ill and got blood on it.

By BLW from Anderson, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dreamwvr 1 78 Flag

Yup, the hydrogen peroxide works on blood. Use a 50/50 solution with warm water, sprinkle a little salt on the stain after spritzing, rub with cloth and voila!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Old Blood Stain from Carpet

My son was killed in my car. The Sheriff's Department gave me my car back, but I can see the blood of my son on my carpet. It has been 2 years.

By June from West Palm Beach, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cathy 2 61 Flag

I am sorry that your son was killed. That is more than a tragedy. Try using hydrogen peroxide on the blood and then wash with vinegar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Blood Stain on Carpet

By Cindy Lou 1

What is the easiest way to get blood stains out of a carpet?

By Cindy Lou from OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Beth 5 105 Flag

Spot Shot! I love it! I use it on carpet stains and laundry stains. It takes old stains out too. Peroxide is good also, but Spot Shot doesn't require the blotting and reapplication.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Blood on Carpet

How do I remove blood from carpet?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Blood in Carpet

My 2 dogs got into a fight, just about 1 hour ago. Can somebody please tell me how to get dog blood out of my carpet?

By Lynda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing an Old Blood Stain from Carpet

By dianepegg 3

How do I get rid of an old blood stain on carpet?

By dp

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Blood from Carpet

How do you remove blood stains from carpet?

Answers:

Blood- Stain Removal on Carpet and Upholstery

(CLEANING INGREDIENTS MUST BE COLD)

1. Mix one teaspoon of a neutral detergent (a mild detergent containing no alkalies or bleaches) to a cup of luke-warm water. Blot.

2. Mix one tablespoon of household ammonia with a half- cup of water. Blot.

3. Sponge with clean water. Blot.

This article was written by Anne Field. MSU Extension (03/21/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Pretest, Pretest, Pretest

Always pretest carpet cleaning solution on a remnant. (03/21/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Blood from Carpet

Here is a tip for removing blood stains from carpet that some people might be unaware of. My veterinarian actually told me about this when my dog cut her leg on glass. Use inexpensive hydrogen peroxide to remove the blood. I use a small squirt bottle to apply it just where it's needed. It's amazing how this simple solution just dissolves the blood immediately. However, be careful as this could "bleach" out colors.

By Mary (03/21/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Removing Blood from Carpet

Use hydrogen peroxide.. pour a small amount and let it soak for about 5 mins., Blot then clean as usual (03/22/2005)

By Lois

RE: Removing Blood from Carpet

Pour on a little Club Soda and let soak for a minute or two, then blot it up with a wad of kleenex. Do not rub - the kleenex will absorb much better than paper towels or cloth. Repeat if necessary. (03/23/2005)

By Joankay

RE: Removing Blood from Carpet

First rinse the area with cold water. Then hydrogen peroxide will finish the job. I promise (05/13/2005)

By ardis ilene barnes

RE: Removing Blood from Carpet

Using 3% hydrogen peroxide worked for me. Just pour a small amount and then blot. If it doesn't all come up, pour again and blot some more. The longer the stain has set in, the more blotting it takes.

Please remember to test a spot on your carpet to make sure it doesn't bleach it. My carpet was light and was ok, but a darker color could be bleached by the hydrogen peroxide. (02/01/2006)

By Ean

Archive: Blood Stain on Carpet

I cut my finger several weeks ago and blood got on my carpet. I have used a shampoo machine, also Resolve, but the stain still remains. Does anyone have any good ideas how I can remove this stain?

Lisa from S.C.

Feedback:

RE: Removing Blood from Carpet

Using one-half scoop of Oxi Clean and 6 oz. of water, I used a brush to saturate carpet and blood came right out. Blot, then rinse and dry. (06/25/2006)

By Carol

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Try this stuff called Spot Shot. It is amazing on my carpets (10/08/2006)

By nelba

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Use peroxide, test small piece of carpet first. (10/11/2006)

By Caryn

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Use normal table salt. It's that easy. Just spray the stain with water, sprinkle it with table salt then allow to dry and vacuum up any salt left. If the stain is still there just repeat the procedure. It really works! (11/05/2006)

By Skippy

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

The salt thing works. I alternated between table salt, tap water, and blotting with a washcloth until it had all lifted out. It's impressive how well that works. Thanks, Skippy! (12/27/2006)

By Bryan

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Remember how easy it is to remove a scab after the blood has coagulated completely. Let the blood dry. Do NOT touch it as this will push the blood into the fabric. Then using a shop vac or vacuum hose, briskly rub the hard edge against the carpet. If you haven't touched it, you won't know it was there. Works on pile, Berber, you name it. (03/02/2007)

By Sparty

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Hydrogen peroxide is the only thing that truly works. Pour it over the stain and allow it to foam for several minutes then dab up the excess and rinse with cold water. Then dab up the water. I promise it works. (06/14/2007)

By silver

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Wow! I just used regular table salt, put it on the blood stain, and just got a wet wash cloth and scrubbed it right out! It really works and was so easy. (07/16/2007)

By Txdream

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I had a large blood stain from our dog who recently had oral surgery. Woke up one morning and found a pool of blood on the bedroom carpet, tried to clean it with a spray cleaner without success. Followed the advice given here and sprinkled the stain with salt and put about 4 oz of hydrogen peroxide with about 3 oz of water in a spray bottle and thoroughly sprayed the stain area. Rubbed it with a damp rag and blotted it with an old towel. The stain is completely gone! (07/19/2007)

By Cecilia

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

This totally worked. You guys are awesome. 3oz water, 4oz Hydrogen Peroxide, regular salt, paper towels. Worked like a charm on 1 day old blood, even got out another stain that I have no idea what is from, though it didn't work on a third. Thanks for the tip. (09/30/2007)

By Joel

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I first used hydrogen peroxide and dish detergent since that works on red wine on carpet. It appeared to work, but the next morning the stain had reappeared. I then tried table salt, and sprayed on water and hydrogen peroxide mix, 40/60%. It WORKED perfectly. (12/26/2007)

By Gary K.

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Tried the salt first and didn't get results. Hydrogen peroxide worked fantastic! Just sprayed it on and worked it in a bit. Kept applying to some spots as it dried and now it's gone! This was on very light carpet. I am now going to try on a darker carpet. Stains are from my dog in heat, so they are all over. (03/04/2008)

By swedal

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I put salt on the blood stain, then dabbed it with a sponge that was dipped in a hydrogen peroxide and water solution. And it works great. The stain came right out! (04/14/2008)

By Mike

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Salt, hydrogen peroxide, and water solution is AMAZING for taking out blood stains. I sprinkled table salt on the spot, and then dabbed at it with a sponge that was dipped in a solution of 50% water and 50% peroxide. It came right out. I'm going to try it the next time I get any other type of accidental carpet stain. (10/04/2008)

By Kevin Lowhorn

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Thank you so much for the advice to remove blood stain from carpet. I woke up this morning and my dog had a nose bleed. The hydrogen peroxide, water and salt really does work. I was impressed to see the blood come right out. (11/15/2008)

By Julie

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I poured salt on the area, then rubbed 50/50 water and peroxide. Came out in seconds. (11/20/2008)

By Billy

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

This did the trick! Thank you all for your suggestions of water, hydrogen peroxide, and salt! (12/06/2008)

By Lindsey

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Oxi Clean works as well as hydrogen peroxide, salt and water, AND does not bleach the carpet. Apply and rub or brush in. Normally the third application removes the blood color completely. My son has frequent nose bleeds on our light color carpets and rugs. We could not keep up without Oxi Clean! (01/04/2009)

By Mick

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Wow, that worked. 1/2 and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and water, but sprinkle salt first. Let it sit a minute or two. I cannot express how big this spot was. My dog got stitches and must have pulled them open. There was a mess and now after trying your suggestion, it's like it was never there. The carpet is very light. Thanks so much. It cleaned up in minutes...really, a few minutes. (01/12/2009)

By Tony

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I am in the process of cleaning up old dried on blood stains. I went to the internet and found your recipe for peroxide water and salt. How great, it works wonders and with little work. The blood was dry and set in, but it came out with little effort. Thank you so much (02/19/2009)

By Sandra

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I just used the salt, water and peroxide mixture on my daughter's bedroom carpet which is light cream in color. She had had a nose bleed and there were stains in various locations on the carpet. The mixture took it up in minutes and it looks great now! Super glad I found this site! (02/23/2009)

By Dawn in Michigan

Archive: Blood Stain on Carpet

How do you remove dried blood from carpet?

By shytro from Escondido, CA

Feedback:

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

You might try using a product called "Incredible".
I buy it at my local Kroger grocery store in Houston, TX USA. I'd check at your local grocery store.

You should be able to buy it at Walmart, Target, etc. too.

This stuff really is incredible. I've never had a stain that it didn't get out of carpet; it was a practically white wall to wall carpeting. It got out eye pencil makeup and plenty of other things I thought never would come out. Especially good as I was renting this particular condo, so I was panic stricken that I would be charged to replace wall to wall carpet or to pay a professional to get stains out.

Good luck. (10/06/2009)

By metroplex

Archive: Blood Stain on Carpet

How can I get blood out of my cream wool carpet? My dog Meg is in heat.

By Lynne from UK

Feedback:

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Peroxide normally works once the blood is dried. But I would probably test in on the carpet in a spot that isn't seen, just in case. I've never seen it change the color of clothing or anything, but carpet is probably different. (04/10/2010)

By LuckyStar

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I would buy any of the number of enzymatic pet stain removers which work on all of the things pets could possibly to to a carpet. The enzymes work on the stain to remove it. If you can't find one let me know. I will send you link to several of them.

Blessings. Robyn (04/10/2010)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

If you get to it quickly enough try a baby wet-wipe. They worked for me. (04/13/2010)

By AnnmacC

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Try using an ice cube. Let it melt, then blot. You may have to do this a few times. You might also want to try blotting with ammonia, but test on a hidden area first. (04/14/2010)

By PDG

Archive: Blood Stain on Carpet

How do you remove dried blood stains from a beige colored carpet?

By Diane from Abbottstown, PA

Feedback:

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Try hydrogen peroxide. That's how we get it out of our uniforms. (05/17/2010)

By hcannon

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

I had dried human blood drops all over the carpet. At least 100 drops. You will need container of diluted dishsoap water solution (maybe a half teaspoon soap for 3 cups water), water sprayer, and small wet/dry vacuum. With the solution, wet down stain thoroughly with water sprayer bottle. About 30 seconds to a minute later, dip a half paper towel into the soapy water, squeeze about 2 tablespoons soapy water onto the blood drop. Let set for about a minute. Massage into carpet with fingers for about 15-30 seconds. Add about 10 spays of water. Massage again for about 10 seconds. Vacuum up. That's it. Since I had so many, I finally discovered that this formula did it on most drops. Adding the water at the end provides additional liquid for the blood to flow through into the vacuum. For big drops, maybe a little more massage work. Honestly, I was quite surprised that this worked so well. (07/17/2010)

By pecarino

Archive: Blood Stain on Carpet

My daughter's cat just had unplanned surgery and she is bleeding from her butt. She is in a new apartment and is concerned about getting blood out of carpet should it happen. Any suggestions would be helpful.

By Barbara from OH

Feedback:

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Dab hydrogen peroxide on the spots with a cotton ball. Dab, don't rub! I gave an injured dog a ride to the vet in my beige velvety cushioned car, blood everywhere! The vet staff gave me this hint and it got every bit out. Yes, it took time, but no blood stains. Good luck to your daughter and kitty. (09/23/2010)

By tahloolabelle

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Just pour on a little bit of hydrogen peroxide onto the carpet/blood stain, wait a few minutes and blot dry with a wash cloth. (09/25/2010)

By Deeshep

Archive: Blood Stain on Carpet

What is the best method for cleaning a large amount of dried blood from light carpet?

By Les

Feedback:

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Oxiclean and cold water really does work even on light carpet. Just dab it on and let it set for a minute. Then take a paper towel and blot it dry. We have light blue carpet and the Oxiclean brought it back to its normal shade of blue. (12/03/2010)

By Dawnab

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

It really works! Just use the edge of your vacuum cleaner on the dried blood and it comes off without leaving a mark! Brilliant, and when you think about it, it is perfectly logical.
Thanks so much to the person who suggested this! (01/06/2011)

By plonky

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

The salt and hydrogen peroxide method works amazingly well (see earlier posts). Sprinkle table salt on the spot, spray with a 50/50 ratio of cold water and hydrogen peroxide, let sit for a minute or so and rub out with a rag. Voila! (02/16/2011)

By dreamwvr

Archive: Dried Blood on Carpet

How do I remove dried blood from carpet?

By Linda from AZ

Feedback

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Linda, I had the same problem and used a product called Spot Shot. You can find it at WalMart and I see small cans of it in Dollar stores. This stuff is really good and now I always keep a can around. Spray some on and dab the spot. It's almost like the stain rises to the top. It worked for me. Hope you have the same luck! (02/28/2011)

By maryeruth

RE: Blood Stain on Carpet

Pour on the peroxide. Test in area that will now show. If it does not stain the carpet, use peroxide and rub it in. Take a clean cloth and rub more until the stain is out. Great for clothing, too. (02/28/2011)

By Karyn01

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJanuary 31, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Sad looking puppy on carpet
Removing Dog Urine Stains from Carpet
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:30:16 AM on 10.0.0.183 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings