Browsing: Removing Burnt Food Smell from House

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Burnt Food Smell from House

Not only did dinner burn, now the house smells of burnt food. This is a guide about removing burnt food smell from house.

Burnt Food
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 20, 2016 Flag

I recently burned a pot of beans badly. My solution takes a long time, but it gets your house clean and removes the smell from all the small things that add up to that pervasive smell that seems to be everywhere (because it is).

I took pure white distilled vinegar on rags (you can dilute if you like, but I used full strength) and wiped down every square inch. This means walls, ceiling, fixtures, counters, cabinets (remove all items and give each one a wipe, wipe inside shelves top, underneath, sides, doors inside and out), doors, screens, pots, pans, windows, shelves, tables (legs, underneath, sides). Pay particular attention to the bottom of things, because we are not used to wiping the bottom of our shelves, tables, etc.

I left all doors and windows open with the only fan we have in the kitchen window pointed OUT to pull the smell out. I had other doors and windows open so the air being pushed out will be replaced by fresh air outside. You can also put a fan pointed AT the origin to push smells out, but I prefer the window method since if you push, it might just migrate to a different area of your house.

December 15, 2014 Flag

I burned some meat and caused a lot of smoke. How can I get rid of this smell?

By Ruth Q

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pour white vinegar into a pot and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer until the odor in your house is gone.

Ammonia is extremely effective! Pour it into jars and place in window sills. It literally draws the odors! Once you can no longer smell the burning stench of ammonia,discard and repeat as needed.

July 24, 2015 Flag

I've moved into a condo with detached garage. The previous tenants seem to have used the garage as a potato/veggie storage. The garage's semi-finished walls and cement floor smell like old stored/rotten potatoes. The landlady tried everything to get the smell out, but now with high temperatures and humidity the smell is in full force. The interior of my car and trunk are starting to stink.

Any ideas to clean this foul odor out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Your landlady is ultimately legally responsible for removing the smell. If she or you are not successful, you have the choice of breaking your rental agreement/lease without any financial responsibilities and moving (as painful as moving again will be!).

Good Luck!

April 14, 2011 Flag

I had a pot roast burn in the oven really badly. When I got home the stove was billowing smoke and now the house smells really bad. We are using air scrubbers and it seems to be helping at this time. Even inside the cupboards stink. What should we do for this?

By John

Walmart has these kinda odor eaters in their section with the air wicks and such. It worked well for me when my trash can in my office burned. It took all the odor out in a matter of days.

Hope this helps.

Gem

You might try wiping down everything you think the smoke touched [walls, cupboards] with soap and water followed by a wipe with white vinegar, and leaving open dishes filled with a bit of baking soda throughout rooms that smell.

Go to the store and get you some charcol and vinegar. Use some old tupperware and pour vinegar, about half full and place them all over your house. Lay charcol brinks in your cabinets behind things and like under your bed. Also, coffee will absorb odors as well. Works well for us. Didn't believe it at first but you can really tell a difference in a couple of days. Hope this helps.

March 9, 2013 Flag

I put some chicken in to boil and it burned in the pan. How can I get the smell out of the house?

By Mary

Put some white vinegar in a pan and add about the same amount of water. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer. The vinegar odor will help to remove the other odor and make your house smell fresher.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 12, 2013
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Man with Burnt Cookies
Getting Rid of Smoke Odors From Cooking
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:13:30 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.