Removing Burnt Food Smell from House

Not only did dinner burn, now the house smells of burnt food. This is a guide about removing burnt food smell from house.

January 20, 2016 Flag

I recently burned a pot of beans badly. My solution takes a long time, but it gets your house clean and removes the smell from all the small things that add up to that pervasive smell that seems to be everywhere (because it is).

I took pure white distilled vinegar on rags (you can dilute if you like, but I used full strength) and wiped down every square inch. This means walls, ceiling, fixtures, counters, cabinets (remove all items and give each one a wipe, wipe inside shelves top, underneath, sides, doors inside and out), doors, screens, pots, pans, windows, shelves, tables (legs, underneath, sides). Pay particular attention to the bottom of things, because we are not used to wiping the bottom of our shelves, tables, etc.

I left all doors and windows open with the only fan we have in the kitchen window pointed OUT to pull the smell out. I had other doors and windows open so the air being pushed out will be replaced by fresh air outside. You can also put a fan pointed AT the origin to push smells out, but I prefer the window method since if you push, it might just migrate to a different area of your house.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I keep a bowl of white vinegar on the back of my cooktop to help with cooking odors. If a closet or room smells musty, I'll put a bowl of white vinegar on a shelf and within a day, the musty smell will be gone. You can also boil vinegar and water to freshen the air. When the vinegar smell disappears, it takes all the other odor with it.

September 19, 2016 Flag

We were trying to heat pancakes in the microwave and 10 minutes was keyed into the microwave instead of 1 minute. We didn't realize this until smoke was pouring out of microwave. What do I use to remove the smell from my house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Open the windows and let lots of fresh air in. You can also put a few small bowls of baking soda around to help absorb as well as light a couple of candles.

Put vinegar in a cup and run the microwave. Lemon juice also removes odors.

December 15, 2014 Flag

I burned some meat and caused a lot of smoke. How can I get rid of this smell?

By Ruth Q

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pour white vinegar into a pot and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer until the odor in your house is gone.

Ammonia is extremely effective! Pour it into jars and place in window sills. It literally draws the odors! Once you can no longer smell the burning stench of ammonia,discard and repeat as needed.

July 24, 2015 Flag

I've moved into a condo with detached garage. The previous tenants seem to have used the garage as a potato/veggie storage. The garage's semi-finished walls and cement floor smell like old stored/rotten potatoes. The landlady tried everything to get the smell out, but now with high temperatures and humidity the smell is in full force. The interior of my car and trunk are starting to stink.

Any ideas to clean this foul odor out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your landlady is ultimately legally responsible for removing the smell. If she or you are not successful, you have the choice of breaking your rental agreement/lease without any financial responsibilities and moving (as painful as moving again will be!).

Good Luck!

May 23, 2016 Flag

I burned toast in a toaster oven (located under the cabinet). The resulting smoke got into the cabinet wood. How do I get rid of the burnt smell that is now on the outside, inside, and under the cabinet? I have tired white vinegar, bleach, and Murphy's wood soap. Nothing is working. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2011 Flag

I had a pot roast burn in the oven really badly. When I got home the stove was billowing smoke and now the house smells really bad. We are using air scrubbers and it seems to be helping at this time. Even inside the cupboards stink. What should we do for this?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Walmart has these kinda odor eaters in their section with the air wicks and such. It worked well for me when my trash can in my office burned. It took all the odor out in a matter of days.

Hope this helps.

Gem

You might try wiping down everything you think the smoke touched [walls, cupboards] with soap and water followed by a wipe with white vinegar, and leaving open dishes filled with a bit of baking soda throughout rooms that smell.

March 9, 2013 Flag

I put some chicken in to boil and it burned in the pan. How can I get the smell out of the house?

By Mary

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put some white vinegar in a pan and add about the same amount of water. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer. The vinegar odor will help to remove the other odor and make your house smell fresher.

March 30, 2013 Flag

I left a pan on the stove with the remains of a leg of lamb which burnt dry for 2 hours. How can I get rid of the smell?

By Richard M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2013 Flag

By Richard M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2011 Flag

I burnt a sweet potato in the microwave. The microwave is fine, but a huge cloud of smoke came out. I opened windows, put the exhaust fans on and got the smoke out, but the smell is lingering in the wood cabinets and wallpaper. What can I use to get rid of the smell?

By Mrs. Mom from Jersey

Answers:

fresh air

The smell is really lingering in the porous materials in your house. A weird suggestion that a buddy did when his old basement-to house fan caught on fire was to vacuum the walls. He said it did help. Of course washing these materials with their proper cleaning products is a good idea. So varnish for the wood and a mild soap for the wall. But keep the place well ventilated for a while is key to letting those scents scoot outside. Hope this helps. (05/07/2010)

By wishsparkle

Burnt Smell in a House

Wipe down with a vinegar/water/dish soap solution. Boil vinegar and water on the stove with lemon essential oil added (10 drops) The steam will carry and deodorize.
Set charcoal briquettes inside the corners of cupboards, and any other place odors need to be absorbed. (05/12/2010)

By Carly34

Burnt Smell in a House

What you should do is boil a small pot of vinegar, water and lemon juice on the stove for 20 minutes. This will leave a clean smell, then take it off and wash the microwave with it. Then get a big pot and boil vanilla and cinnamon in water for an hour. Stir occasionally so the cinnamon doesn't stick to the bottom. It should leave your kitchen smelling better. I did this once when I had burnt rice cereal and it cleared it up in about an hour. Good luck. (01/05/2011)

By hellokitty99

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 6, 2010 Flag

What will get rid of a burnt egg smell in my house?

By Blake from Jackson, MS

Answers:

Burnt Smell in a House

I would try putting a few bowls of distilled vinegar out over night. I use that to get rid of the smoke smell after my husband has poker night. (03/08/2010)

By rlittle1

Burnt Smell in a House

This is really easy and free. It works; I have used it many times. You take a bath towel and get it wet. You can soak it in just water, or a water and vinegar, or water and baking soda, or lemon juice. Things like that. Once the towel is wet ring it out till damp. Then go into the room that has the smell and swing the towel above your head in a circular motion for about 1 minute. Just wash towel. The smells in the air will catch onto the towel for you. This should leave the room smelling fresh. If the smell is really strong you may have to do it a few times to get it all out. (03/12/2010)

By cutepachef

Burnt Smell in a House

Try Fresh-Wave. I suggest that for any type of odor people come up with. (03/18/2010)

By WIsgal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 8, 2010 Flag

What product will remove the smell from burnt food in the house? The house is 100 years old with heavily papered walls and ceilings, with a lot of woodwork. I burnt a muffin in my microwave 6 months ago and an odd scent still remains. My son tells me that it smells like "mice". I don't agree with his description, but I agree that it is musty.

By Sandy from Crows Landing, CA

Answers:

Burnt Smell in a House

Boil vinegar in the microwave that should help with it. Also, leave a flat dish of vinegar in the microwave and change daily for about a week. To get the smell out of the house, you might consider opening all the windows and turning on fans to get the breeze blowing.

Also, buy an air cleaner with a HEPA filter. Visit your local Sears and get the best one you can afford. They stock the filters for discontinued styles, so it's a good idea to buy what they're selling. Whatever you do, the smell is lodged in the microwave and needs to be removed first. (01/29/2010)

By cookwie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2010 Flag

I left fish sticks cooking in the toaster oven and fell asleep. They burned badly and filled the house with smoke. I can't get the smell out of the house from last night. Thanks.

By Lpuis from Drexel Hill, PA

Answers:

Burnt Smell in a House

Vinegar in a bowl(s) left out without a lid on it. Vinegar absorbs all kinds of nasty smells.
And please be more careful next time because it could have caused a fire. (12/14/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 11, 2009 Flag

I burnt something in my microwave and I am trying suggestions from the site. I also have the problem of the smell being in my apartment and have only one window to open for fresh air. I have used candles, air fresheners, and running my ceiling fan with the window open. I cannot breathe. I just put dish soap and borax in the microwave like someone suggested, because that is what I have on hand. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By angel4him

Answers:

Burnt Smell In a House

Take a bowl and boil some vinegar in the microwave, then let it cool in there. Just let the vinegar fumes stay in the house, too. Don't spray anything to get rid of them overnight. I did this in my garage where I used to go to smoke in the winter. I am smoke free now and it worked with the residual smell in the garage. It doesn't get cheaper than that. (07/24/2009)

By themuffster

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2009 Flag

Last night my 11 year old daughter forgot to add water to the Easy Mac container. She's home suffering from pneumonia and I was in the shower at the time. Our whole house has the most putrid smell and the microwave reeks so bad.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 23, 2008 Flag

How do you remove a burnt smell out of the house when you can't open windows?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 9, 2006 Flag

We had an accident with a soup bone boiling dry and filling the house with a horrid burnt meat smell.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Man with Burnt Cookies
Getting Rid of Smoke Odors From Cooking
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 12, 2013
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 8:42:37 AM on 10.0.1.138 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.