Removing Grease Stains on a Lace Tablecloth

Lace Tablecloth
Care should be taken when removing stains from lace tablecloths, so as not to damage the fabric. This is a guide about removing grease stains on a lace tablecloth.

I've tried everything found online (and on this site) to clean a white cotton/linen tablecloth. My daughter did not pre-treat the greasy food stains, just threw it in the washer and dryer, plus she has had it in a drawer for a year. I've tried everything but the Fels Naptha which I can't find anywhere. I have tried the bleach/powder dishwater soap, oxyclean/Biz/ammonia, sprayed w/oven cleaner, nothing has worked so far. Do you suppose this is a hopeless task? It's a beautiful Battenberg lace cotton/linen tablecloth. I found Fels Naptha online but it says it's a "pre-wash" stain cleaner so I didn't order any since the stain has been washed and dried. I've about given up...

Carolyn from Shreveport, LA

Answers

Did you try rubbing a bar of Fels Naptha onto the wet stain?

You could try using shampoo, or facial cleaner ( since these are designed to remove grease and oil) or if that fails, there is a mechanics hand cleaner called "orange clean" its like $2 a bottle ( Any generic brand of it should work too) and use that. I have also used rubbing alcohol on a q-tip or cotton ball ( depending on how large the spot is) to remove oil. ( Try testing the last two on an inconspicuous area of table cloth first.- I haven't had a problem with either but I wouldn't want your tablecloth to be ruined any further)

Good luck!

I've found something that seems like Nels Naptha at Drug Emporium. It's called Grandma's Soap and is made from lard, water and lye. It's used for acne, stains, poison ivy and (of all things) catfish bait. Is this the same thing as Nels Naptha, just a different name?

Have you tried Dawn dish detergent?

Are you sure it's grease? Could it be the reide of wax?

I have lots of Battenburgberg lace. If I have an impossible stain, I set something on it when I set the table. Another idea is to cut a pattern there and fill it with B-lace, or embroider or sew an applique there.