Removing Litter Box for Indoor Outdoor Kittens

When is it safe to remove the litter tray from my house? I have two 6 month old kittens. They go to the toilet outside, and have been for a while. They meow at the door to go out, but they are still in at night time. I wonder if they will hold on till morning or not. They have never soiled on the floors inside and have always gone in the litter box. Thanks.

By Emma

Why do you want to get rid of the litter box? If they're spending the night inside, it seems you wouldn't want to risk not having a box around. Having to hold it until they get an opportunity to go outside isn't good for them.

In my experience with cats, they love to see a litterbox, even if it is not used. Mine is rarely used but I keep it there, nevertheless. I would keep it in the house somewhere, just for them in case of emergency. You don't want to take a chance on starting bad habits. I am not sure if they would hold it or not. I have outside/inside cats also but I would not expect them to wait to go to the litterbox, the way my dogs wait, and as it is, I let them out every time I get up at night anyway, which is quite a bit!

I say keep the litterbox even if you have to move it to a place where it is not so visible. It is the kinder thing to do for them in my opinion. :)

I wouldn't try going without the box. If they use it only at night you might have a couple of confused kitties, and you would defently regret it.