Removing Odors From a Suitcase

Category Odors
Suitcases spend a lot of time stored away until they are needed for your next trip. Sometimes the storage conditions are perfect for the growth mold, mildew, and bacteria. This is a guide about removing odors from a suitcase.

Old suitcase.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Suitcases that have been in storage, or simply not used in awhile can develop a musty odor. This is a guide about musty smell in suitcase.

I just got a suitcase from a second hand store and I cannot remove the nasty smell. It smells like old vomit or moldy milk. How can I get rid of the smell?

By booboo kitty from Jacksonville, FL

Best Answer

Our old house had wood heat, everything always smelled like smoke including our luggage, which then got put in storage when we moved to a smaller house. I just took it out for a vacation, sprayed the inside with a vinegar/water mix and closed them back up for two days. They smelled fine for us to pack for this trip and our clothes were fine on arrival.

Best Answer

Try Febreze.

Best Answer

Definitely. I use FRIDGE IT activated carbon odor absorbers in my luggage and storage bins. They are unscented and work great to eliminate odors. I just put one or two in each suitcase to keep "old" smell out. Works like a charm. I get these right on line at www.innofresh.com. Easy to order and they ship really quickly.

Best Answer

I have been using a product called BioWorld Odor Neutralizer that has worked well for all odors. It is very strong and I haven't found an odor that it hasn't taken care of yet!

Anonymous
Best Answer

I've heard clay kitty litter absorbs odors really well so it might be worth the try to get a small bag of it, dump the litter in, close it up for a few days and then dump it out. Of course, wipe the inside of the case well to remove the litter dust. If it still needs a bit of freshener, by all means use Febreeze but don't close the lid until the Febreeze has completely dried.

Best Answer

I would wash this suitcase out first, and then try all the different odor absorbers. It may be that something has been spilled in the inside in the past, and never suitably and thoroughly cleaned. Leaving it in the sun to air out after washing would be good too.

Things don't get a sour milk or vomit smell from being stored in musty garages or basements. Something has been spilled in that suitcase to make that smell.

Anonymous

I have this issue when borrowing my Moms luggage>>>>vinegar/water spray didn't help, Febreeze didn't help, dryer sheets, leaving the luggage outside didn't help>>>>>all these things were tried, but nothing really made a difference. I am going through the same thing again now, even tried using a smudge stick and closing it up after filling it with smoke, lol. My bottom line is using a large garbage bag to pack everything in, then closing it up, zip up the suitcase and get going! No smell to anything you pack, but the musty odor is still present>>>I may be a bit too sensitive tosmells, at least my husband thinks I am. Good luck!

I have a suitcase that was down in the basement and now it smells like fuel oil inside and out. I have sprayed the suitcase with Glade Tough Odor Solutions about 15 times and it didnt work. Please help me; I don't want to have to throw it out it's like 6 months old.

My travel mug, filled with flavored coffee, opened in the outside pocket of my new nylon luggage. How can I remove the flavored coffee smell?

By Debra K.

Every time we go to visit our kids, we pack our suitcase and when we get there our clothes have musty smell. The suitcase and clothes don't have the odor when being packed.

By Jean

I left some Ziploc plastic bags in a suitcase that was stored in the attic. Now the suitcase has an odor. Any ideas about how to get rid of the odor? Is there anything I could put in the suitcase for freshening while in attic storage? It's dusty (and hot) up there, so we need to keep it zipped shut. Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Removing Odor From Suitcase

I would try one (or all) of the following:

Hope one of these helps. (06/30/2008)

By fruityana

Removing Odor From Suitcase

Our old house had wood heat, everything always smelled like smoke including our luggage, which then got put in storage when we moved to a smaller house. I just took it out for a vacation, sprayed the inside with a vinegar/water mix and closed them back up for two days. They smelled fine for us to pack for this trip and our clothes were fine on arrival. (07/13/2008)

By Linda

Removing Odor From Suitcase

Try Febreeze. (07/31/2008)

By Robin

Removing Odor From Suitcase

I use "Fridge It" activated carbon odor absorbers in my luggage and storage bins. They are unscented and work great to eliminate odors. I just put one or two in each suitcase to keep "old" smell out.
Works like a charm. I get these right on line at www.innofresh.com.
Easy to order and they ship really quickly. (12/02/2008)

By kengie

Removing Odor From Suitcase

I have been using a product called BioWorld Odor Neutralizer that has worked well for all odors. It is very strong and I haven't found an odor that it hasn't taken care of yet. (01/09/2009)

By Zack