Removing Odors from Cabin

Category Odors
Old Cabin
Often because they are not used frequently a cabin can smell musty and dusty. This is a guide about removing odors from cabin.

We just bought a cabin and I was wondering how to get that old, dusty smell out. I've cleaned but each time we go there it smells like dusty old wood. Any suggestions?

By T McC.

One thing you need to do is open every window and door when you get there, and maybe even use a fan to blow it out. The more you can air it, the better it will be. If you need to, try using a dehumidifyer; as cabins in the woods tend to stay damp, so you get musty odors, too. Febreeze every non-wood surface that you can, as anything upholstered will hold the odor. So will throw rugs, etc. When you are there (and can keep an eye on them), burn some candles, they can be unscented or scented. They will help dry things out, too.

My choice would be vinegar as it will kill mold spores not just cover the scent. We used to fire up the wood stove to dry the cabin out. They all smell must after being closed up, even my house after only a long weekend.

I had an acquaintance that sprayed her counters etc with Lysol or Citricide when she left the cabin. She said they had no odors when they returned in the spring.