Removing Rubber Stains on Carpet

Category Carpet
A person trying to clean stains off of carpet.
Rubber items such as vacuum cleaner belts or furniture stops can sometimes leave marks on your carpet. This is a guide about removing rubber stains on carpet.

Does anyone have any methods to remove what seems to be black rubber grease stains on new carpet. It has come from the black stoppers at the back of a portable piano.

Carolyn from Melbourne, Australia

Best Answer

I just registered with this site to thank all the people who helped me. I was removing an old shelf stereo system, and put it down on the carpet. When I picked it up there were two very black rubber marks. I found the answer (rubbing alcohol) at this site, and will be happy to participate here if I can in the future.

Anonymous
Best Answer

OMG, thank you, thank up for the rubbing alcohol & cotton balls! When my cat became ill, I ran out into my very hot condo storage unit (Arizona heat) & grabbed her fancy carrier. Put her in it & gently swung it forward (I am not well & have little strength) placing it down on my beautiful light mauve carpet every 8 feet or so. I felt it stick each time I lifted it but all my attention was on that cat. I came home to four 1 inch squares of melted rubber 'feet' from the base of the carrier. & yes, I've been walking over them 4 a year. I have the carpet cleaners coming next week & thought I'd try on-line before paying a bomb to have cleaned. Thank you thank you, the rubber was pretty thick, yet it came right up! I am soooo grateful. Rubbing alcohoL rocks!

We replaced the belt on our vacuum cleaner and after doing that it left black marks on the carpet and the side opposite of the belt was hot. We have a beige carpet, not sure what kind (we rent), but carpet is kind that feels like velcro when you walk on it with socks. I have tried using awesome and a stiff brush and that didn't touch it. Please help! Thank you in advance.

jmz2005 from Illinois

Best Answer

I'd go with a VERY stiff brush and a light but direct spray with WD40, brushing in all directions increasing the pressure over several tries. Using paper towels to soak/wipe/blot between tries and fresh light sprays. If the towels are black, it's coming up. If not, stop immediately with the WD40 and call a vacuum repair shop for advice, not carpet cleaner. Lestoil MIGHT help, if you use a microscopic amount on a rag and rub briskly, but then there's the odor

and the residue of both products to have to remove.

I'd remove the products afterwards in either case with KR2 Stain Removing Spray powder cleaner, then with hot detergent scrubs with terrycloth for many

rinses. Brush fluff the nap as best you can and blow

dry, remembering that they BOTH may be flammable if the bottle is not closed, and that a blow dryer uses a hot coiled element inside, so BE CAREFUL and use in well-ventilated area. God help you to use wisdom and small amounts of the products. Good luck as well. : )

I have a 7 foot long pair of awful looking rubber streaks left on my carpet after having moved a piece of furniture that had rubber feet. The carpet is a tight, low pile loop of blended colors, basically blue and gray. I desperately need help in finding a way to remove this from my carpet. Thank You!

Jocelyne from Norway, Michigan

Answers:

Rubber Stains on Carpet

I had rubber stains on a tablecloth from the rubber feet of a small appliance. I tried Stainstick, Shout, and laundry detergent to pre-treat it. Nothing worked. I read the advice to use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. I tried it and it immediately worked. I used about 3 cotton balls on each small stain, using a new one as the old one turned gray. Thanks to everyone for the much needed help. No elbow grease needed for this.

(01/28/2007)

By Lynn

Rubber Stains on Carpet

The WD40 method was excellent, worked like a charm. Try using on pen marks on wallpaper this also works (07/29/2007)

By Chris

Rubber Stains on Carpet

WD 40 did the trick! I placed old electronic equipment on a white tabe. Took the black (little feet) marks right off! (10/21/2007)

By Al

A friend of mine just purchased tan berber carpet about 6 months ago, he was vacuuming the carpet when the belt broke. Now he has rubber streaks on his brand new carpet. We've tried several things including oxy-clean, but the stain won't budge. Is there anyway to get the streaks off without hiring a professional?

Lynda in Cleveland

Answers:
Rubber Streaks on Carpet 02/17/2001
I would try club soda or rubbing alcohol. Or call Berber. If nothing else works, turn it into your insurance company.
By AZLEADFOOT2
Rubber Streaks on Carpet 02/22/2001
I have found that "Spot Shot" carpet cleaner is the best at getting out all kinds of stains. You can find it at grocery stores, Target, Sam's, etc.
By AmyMasson
Rubber Streaks on Carpet 02/23/2001
Because it is a new carpet (and Berber's I believe are made out of synthetic materials,) it might be best to hire or at least call a professional. A solvent that will take the stain out might also melt the carpet. Call around, some carpet cleaning services are better than others. Look for one that is bonded and certified. Call and ask questions about the rubber stain. It may cost a little to get the stain removed but replacing the carpeting is much more expensive. In any case if there are any scraps, test on the scrap or in a place that won't be seen.
By Susan
Rubber Streaks on Carpet 08/12/2002
Same thing happened to me but not on a berber carpet, but it was a closed loop large rug, I scrubbed it out with Simple Green.
By dabirdie39
Rubber Streaks on Carpet 11/27/2004
Same thing happened to us. Cotton balls and rubbing alcohol took it right out.
By John & Vicki (Guest Post)
Rubber Streaks on Carpet 02/12/2005
The alchohol worked like a charm!

Thanks for the idea.

By Joyce. (Guest Post)