Removing Sharpie Marker from Skin

How do you remove permanent marker from skin? My 5 year old is not satisfied with the myriad of markers he owns, so he went into my kitchen and stole a Sharpie marker and colored all over himself.

We got the marker off his finger and toenails by using fingernail polish remover but it's still all over his skin. Normally I would just wait for it to wear off but his eczema is reacting to it and now he has a nasty rash. Any idea how to remove the stuff off his skin safely?

By ETomihiro from Winston Salem, NC

Answers:

Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

I'd use rubbing alcohol on a washcloth. Second option, fingernail polish remover. Then give the little fellow a bath to remove the remover. On skin, you can also use baby oil or cooking oil, then use a bit of sugar on the oil to exfoliate or a washcloth. Be careful not to rub very hard. Kids, they make us laugh, they make us crazy!

OOPS! I just read the rest of your post (eczema). So don't use anything above except the baby oil or mineral oil. Then leave the oil on a while then rub the skin with a soft cloth. Sometimes Orange oil can really do the trick, but it might be too strong for his skin. You could try mixing it with baby oil. Also, you can make a paste of baking soda & water or baking soda & vinegar as a scrub for places he doesn't have eczema. (04/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

The nail polish remover you used was probably non-acetone. You can buy a fairly large bottle of acetone nail polish remover just about anywhere. You won't need to rub very hard and be sure to use cotton balls. I sometimes get eczema outbreaks myself and so I truly don't think the polish remover will irritate it and, as Cyinda said, be sure to give the little guy a bath afterward and maybe even apply some lotion afterward too. I guarantee the acetone remover will quickly and easily remove the Sharpie Art :-) (05/01/2009)

By Deeli

Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

You might want to take him to a dermatologist. (05/01/2009)

By Maryeileen

Removing Sharpie Marker Off Skin

Baby wipes! (05/02/2009)

By Coll3