Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing

The stench from skunk spray can be a challenge to remove from fabrics. This guide is about removing skunk odor from clothing.

August 3, 2004 Flag

There is nothing worse than smelling like a skunk. To remove the smell, soak you clothing in baking soda and water or vinegar and water. Use a half cup of vinegar or baking soda for each gallon of water. Let soak for several hours before washing as you normally would.

Yes, skunk is horrible. And lingers indefinately. Our dogs get sprayed routinely. I normally use tomato juice to bathe them. It definately works. Virtually anything tomato works. I've also used tomato sauce, V8, bloody mary mix, canned or jarred spaghetti sauce, and even tomoato paste. The paste is probably not a good idea for clothing, but does work great on animals (and probably human hair/skin too). It's actually better than juice, because it clings and you can let it sit for a while before rinsing.

Well i went to work today and found that all of my stuff REEKED of skunk. I'm wondering how i can get rid of the smells without ruining most of my clothes?

Phew, I know just how bad a skunk can smell. My house smelled like a giant skunk for the last few weeks. Everything inside REEKED of skunk! Ive smelt a skunk before and its not that bad, but when you put on your clothes and you feel like a skunk, its horrible! I might as well put a stripe down my back and just let out gallons of noxious perfume wherever i go. Skunks are a horrible smell. Does anybody know how bad reactions to large amounts of skunk can occur? Because my house smells horrible and ive been really dizzy lately, I'm wondering if passing out can occur because that would be a great thing to know. Thanks for the help.

Removing skunk smell from a dog is not just as easy as tomato juice, as we tried that last night when our friend's dog got sprayed. We coated him in it (just mainly his head as that's where he got sprayed) but 2 cans of tomato juice later, and his head still smells like a skunk.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJune 10, 2012
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk On white Background
Removing Skunk Odor From Carpet
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books