Removing Skunk Smell from House

My dog got sprayed by a skunk and brought the odor in the house. How do you get rid of the smell?

Chris

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell from House

Who knew that there were so many skunks around! My pet was sprayed about a week ago. Not very fun to deal with, especially if you are having a Christmas party in a few days. Of course she came in the house before I could stop her. I tried EVERYTHING that I found online. Most of it worked okay but the smell still lingered, especially in the house. I found a product called BON-CC-41. It is an odor neutralizer. It worked GREAT!

I had my carpets shampooed and I added the product to the shampooer cleaner and it got the smell out almost instantly! I was also surprised how many things you could use the product on. It is like an all-in-one product. I also washed my dog with the BON and put some in with my laundry! After I did all that with the BON, the smell was completely gone and no one at the party even noticed a skunk smell! (12/23/2008)

Removing Skunk Smell from House

The house was sprayed, and the morning after my husband found it dead underneath the house! The smell was over everything, including my clothes. We went for Christmas Eve dinner with family and everyone could smell it. It was awful. We're opening windows and trying the vinegar in bowls. I'm afraid of what to do with all my expensive clothes that are usually dry cleaned- I have a lot of them! Any suggestions? (12/25/2008)

By Anony

Removing Skunk Smell from House

DO NOT USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE around the eyes. I read somewhere that this can cause blindness...don't take the chance. (12/26/2008)

By d

Removing Skunk Smell from House

My suggestion to remove skunk smell from the house & clothes is to burn candles all day every day while you are at home until the bad odor is gone. Good luck. (12/27/2008)

By kathleen W.

Removing Skunk Smell from House

The best thing I found to remove the skunk odor from the house and clothes is an odor neutralizer from BioWorld Products. I think it is BON-CC-41 but you might want to double check. When my pet was skunked and brought it into the house, it was horrible. I shampooed my carpets with their odor neutralizer (and the carpet shampooer solution) and added the odor neutralizer to my laundry and it worked very well. The next day I had guests over and they couldn't even tell that we had a skunk odor problem. I'm not sure of how to deal with the dry cleaning clothes though. You might be able to spray the solution on the clothes but I'm not sure. If you call the company, they will help you, they were very helpful when I had my problem. (12/29/2008)

Removing Skunk Smell from House

My wife and I were on our way out of the house to the airport to visit our brand new grand daughter. I was making coffee in the kitchen and heard a noise next to me from the pantry. I looked over and to my horror saw a skunk looking back at me. A skunk had somehow gotten INTO MY HOUSE! No idea how he got there.

What a nightmare. With only minutes to work with, I decided I had no choice but to shoot the thing with my BB gun. How else would I get the skunk out of the house? And we were late for our plane! The skunk released his glands on his last breath and the house became unlivable. I cleaned up the mess, but had to depart for the airport. Thanks to this very blog, I had my neighbors put crock pots with Apple Vinegar throughout the house. We returned four days later to find the house was void of any skunk smell (although it did smell like a pickle factory!!). We then replaced the vinegar with cinnamon potpourri and we're back to normal. I'd like to thank all of you who suggested the vinegar. It was a life saver. (01/02/2009)

By Tom

Removing Skunk Smell from House

My dog got sprayed last night about 12:30. I brought her in from outside not knowing that she had been sprayed. At first we thought it was something burning but then we quickly realized what it was. We had to leave our house and go stay with my parents. Does anyone know how long the scent will stick around? We opened all the windows and cleaned the dog with tomato juice. It worked somewhat but I will try again with the baking soda and peroxide. I just hope I don't have to wash all of our clothes. Does anyone know if that has to be done, or will it eventually air out? (01/04/2009)

By brooke

Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk On white Background
Removing Skunk Odor From Carpet
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄