Browsing: Removing Tree Sap from Your Pet's Fur

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Tree Sap from Your Pet's Fur

Tree sap can be tough to remove from your pet's fur. This is a guide about removing tree sap from your pet's fur.

A dog sitting near pine trees.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 9, 2008 Flag

I have a yellow lab that constantly gets tree sap in her hair. I can usually get the big chunks out with a comb, but there's always a residue that is left behind and collects dirt. She has sensitive skin. What can I use to remove it? Anyone?

Tammy from Sisters, OR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, use butter to bring it down. Gently try to comb it out or if necessary cut out what can't be combed out. My baby gets pitch in her feet hairs and is a real pain. I only use butter when it is time for her bath again. I will do the butter earlier in the day so I have time to work the pitch out and so that it is still early enough to bath her before the sun goes down. Hope this helps.

I was told by a groomer to use WD40, that it works wonderful just be sure you wash it off when finished so the dog won't lick it off.

Any idea what to do if my dog has tar in Her hair & in her paws?

I read the suggestions, grabbed my dog, olive oil & a comb. The dried sap was out in about 8 seconds! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I realize this is an old thread, but I want to thank you for your post. I read it and did just the same. I also had a bowl of warm water and Fairy - that is the equivalent of Dawn in Greece- ready to go along with some old rags which served as washing and drying cloths. My dog took his cleaning like he was having his weekly massage and is "all better" now!

Many thanks!

July 22, 2012 Flag

I built a cat run under pine trees that ooze sap after pruning. How can I get the sap out of the fur without having to shave the cats? Will the sap stop after a time?

By G. Grant from eastern shore MD

Peanut butter is your best bet. Rub it all in the sap covered fur, then wash that out with Dawn dish soap. The fur should then be clean and soft, with no sap and no grease. Good luck!

I used a little bit of olive oil and rubbed it into the sap. It dissolved the sap in about a minute, and the vet said olive oil isn't toxic. Use a little warm water and Dawn dish detergent to clean it off.

Pets GroomingNovember 14, 2012
Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Tree Sap From Laminate Flooring
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Christmas tree on top of an SUV.
Removing Tree Sap from a Car
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 12:44:59 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.