Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Tree Sap from Your Pet's Fur

Tree sap can be tough to remove from your pet's fur. This is a guide about removing tree sap from your pet's fur.

September 21, 2016 Flag

Woman giving a white dog a bath

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap on a dog. When removing tree sap from your dog's fur you want to use products and methods that are safe for your pet.

September 9, 2008 Flag

I have a yellow lab that constantly gets tree sap in her hair. I can usually get the big chunks out with a comb, but there's always a residue that is left behind and collects dirt. She has sensitive skin. What can I use to remove it? Anyone?

Tammy from Sisters, OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've heard that you can use peanut butter to remove sap... Just make sure you shampoo out the peanut butter or all the neighborhood dogs will be licking her fur!

That "Goop" hand cleaner works pretty good as a stain fighter for greasy stains, why don't you give it a try.

You can use Crisco, butter, olive oil or anything greasy - work into the hair with the sap - it will loosen the sap from the hair - then shampoo or wash off with a soapy rag.

It works good on kids that get sap, gum, tar etc. in their hair.

I've always used just a bit of baby oil on my black lab when he gets into stuff. Squirt a little spot on and comb out the 'stuff'. It usually gets it all out and doesn't hurt his fur either.

I used to use 409 to get pine pitch off my goats. Some liked nail polish remover.

You could some cornstarch or baby powder (great things from the 60's we used to put in our hair when no time to wash it. Then the instant powdered shampoos came out.)

Rub it in, brush it out.

If you are into shampooing the dog, don't use dog shampoo, it is made from allergens, ragweed extract, etc. We use Johnson & Johnson Baby wash for the kids and the dog. The dog gets in the shower as much as she can with whomever. Tender on the fur and skin, non sudsing. Dog: German Shorthair.

Try using Lestoil. It works very well at removing sticky things.

Hi, use butter to bring it down. Gently try to comb it out or if necessary cut out what can't be combed out. My baby gets pitch in her feet hairs and is a real pain. I only use butter when it is time for her bath again. I will do the butter earlier in the day so I have time to work the pitch out and so that it is still early enough to bath her before the sun goes down. Hope this helps.

I was told by a groomer to use WD40, that it works wonderful just be sure you wash it off when finished so the dog won't lick it off.

Any idea what to do if my dog has tar in Her hair & in her paws?

I read the suggestions, grabbed my dog, olive oil & a comb. The dried sap was out in about 8 seconds! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

July 22, 2012 Flag

I built a cat run under pine trees that ooze sap after pruning. How can I get the sap out of the fur without having to shave the cats? Will the sap stop after a time?

By G. Grant from eastern shore MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Peanut butter is your best bet. Rub it all in the sap covered fur, then wash that out with Dawn dish soap. The fur should then be clean and soft, with no sap and no grease. Good luck!

I used a little bit of olive oil and rubbed it into the sap. It dissolved the sap in about a minute, and the vet said olive oil isn't toxic. Use a little warm water and Dawn dish detergent to clean it off.

Pets GroomingNovember 14, 2012
Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Tree Sap From Laminate Flooring
Woman giving a white dog a bath
Cleaning Tree Sap on a Dog
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 4:20:07 AM on 10.0.2.128 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.