Removing Tree Sap from Your Pet's Fur

Tree sap can be tough to remove from your pet's fur. This is a guide about removing tree sap from your pet's fur.

September 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning tree sap on a dog. When removing tree sap from your dog's fur you want to use products and methods that are safe for your pet.

Woman giving a white dog a bath

September 9, 2008 Flag

I have a yellow lab that constantly gets tree sap in her hair. I can usually get the big chunks out with a comb, but there's always a residue that is left behind and collects dirt. She has sensitive skin. What can I use to remove it? Anyone?

Tammy from Sisters, OR

Hi, use butter to bring it down. Gently try to comb it out or if necessary cut out what can't be combed out. My baby gets pitch in her feet hairs and is a real pain. I only use butter when it is time for her bath again. I will do the butter earlier in the day so I have time to work the pitch out and so that it is still early enough to bath her before the sun goes down. Hope this helps.

I was told by a groomer to use WD40, that it works wonderful just be sure you wash it off when finished so the dog won't lick it off.

Any idea what to do if my dog has tar in Her hair & in her paws?

I read the suggestions, grabbed my dog, olive oil & a comb. The dried sap was out in about 8 seconds! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

July 22, 2012 Flag

I built a cat run under pine trees that ooze sap after pruning. How can I get the sap out of the fur without having to shave the cats? Will the sap stop after a time?

By G. Grant from eastern shore MD

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Peanut butter is your best bet. Rub it all in the sap covered fur, then wash that out with Dawn dish soap. The fur should then be clean and soft, with no sap and no grease. Good luck!

I used a little bit of olive oil and rubbed it into the sap. It dissolved the sap in about a minute, and the vet said olive oil isn't toxic. Use a little warm water and Dawn dish detergent to clean it off.

Pets GroomingNovember 14, 2012
Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Tree Sap From Laminate Flooring
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Christmas tree on top of an SUV.
Removing Tree Sap from a Car
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
🎄