Cleaning Tree Sap on a Dog

Category Grooming
When removing tree sap from your dog's fur you want to use products and methods that are safe for your pet. This is a guide about cleaning tree sap on a dog.

My dog had stepped in a big pile of sap/pitch and it covered her whole left back foot. I read somewhere where butter would help. I tried a stick of butter and it was working but not as quickly as I would have like. I then tried olive oil and I rubbed it in her paw between the pads and it literally melted away. She had sticks and rocks embedded in between her pads. Poor girl.

Make sure when you do this, it is either in a bath tub or out side. Also another helpful hint would be to wash the area off with Dawn liquid dish soap. It will take away the oily greasy mess. :o) Hope this helps someone!

By Barbie from Wenatchee, WA

I have used butter in the past, but decided to try spray cooking oil. It is less of a mess. Just spray on the paws and wipe off with a paper towel. Not only less mess but less licking :)

By jane ann from Big Bear Lake, CA

How can I get tree sap off of a 14 week old puppy that was playing under a tree?

By lauri from NC

Answers

Best Answer

Peanut butter

My dog stepped in pine tree sap. It's stuck in the fur between his toes. The area is too small to cut with a scissors. How can I remove the sap safely?

Kasbal from PA

Answers:

Tree Sap on a Dog

While waiting for feedback on this site, I did some additional searching. Peanut butter also takes sap off of dog fur. Then, I had to wash his paw with Dawn dish soap and water to remove the peanut butter. The best part was that he was able to lick the remaining peanut butter as a treat for lying still! Thanks for the help! (04/12/2007)

By kasbal

Tree Sap on a Dog

Try peanut butter. Massage it into the fur and sap and it should start to dissolve. You may have to use your fingernails to scrape it off the hairs. Your dog will love licking up the leftovers too. This also works well with getting EEG glue out of hair. (04/13/2007)

Tree Sap on a Dog

Gee wish I had known about this years ago, I use to work in pine forests in S.C. and got sap in my hair all the time, I used rubbing alcohol or turpentine to get it out. Butter or Dissolve It would have been much better and I would assume butter would be a good conditioner also. T (04/15/2007)

By Mattie

Tree Sap on a Dog

Butter! I had no idea and I didn't believe it until I tried it, but butter was a miracle worker with the tree sap. Removed every last bit and I didn't have to cut any hair out, thanks for the tip everyone. (06/02/2007)

By JohnK

Tree Sap on a Dog

Thank you for the butter idea. My dog laid down under a pine tree and got sap stuck to his nose, head, and back. The butter worked wonders and he loved licking the spots of his back side. The one spot I wasn't sure it would come off of, was on his nose near his eye. The sap came off with out getting in his eye. Thank you. 06/12/07

(06/12/2007)

By Patsy

RE: Tree Sap on a Dog

Tree Sap on a Dog

Just tried butter on my puppy and it works great! Nice and fast. (07/15/2007)

By Sandy

Tree Sap on a Dog

The butter works great, even on the spots in between my dog's paws where I was sure it wouldn't come out without trimming the hair. She would also lick the spoon while I wiped her clean which helped keep her still. (08/06/2007)

By Meagan

Tree Sap on a Dog

This morning my little Maltese went out and when he came back in he had pine tree sap on his paw and ear. I looked on the net and found this site and thank goodness for the use of butter it worked great! He is now enjoying licking his paw. Thanks (08/21/2007)

By Barbara

RE: Tree Sap on a Dog

Tree Sap on a Dog

Thanks you so much for the idea of butter on a dogs paws. I let my dog outside to go to the bathroom and when I let her in she has pine sap and pine needles all over her paws I looked impossible to get out, but once I looked up how to get pine sap out of a dog's paws? It came up with this.

It worked wonders thanks. xD (08/22/2007)

By

RE: Tree Sap on a Dog

Tree Sap on a Dog

We have a little Lhasa Apso pup that has fallen in love with our Christmas tree. Thanks for the butter idea to remove sap. Finally, a non-toxic, easy to do idea to save our puppy's hair from the clippers! :) This is absolutely genius! I can guarantee that our pup thanks you too! (12/01/2007)

By B & C

Tree Sap on a Dog

Thank you so much. My toy Poodle got into some sap running around in the backyard this spring. The butter worked like a charm and she got to lick off what I was unable to clean off with a tissue. A great site!

(04/17/2008)

By Emily Palmer

RE: Tree Sap on a Dog

Tree Sap on a Dog

Butter, on in my case Land O'Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste Spread, did the trick. Our Boston Terrier got sap on her belly while out sunning herself on the deck. Three days later the sap had hardened and was looking dirty. I sure was happy to find this suggestion. Thanks! (04/25/2008)

By Jody

Tree Sap on a Dog

My five year old daughter loves to climb trees. I have had to cut her hair several times because of all of the sap, until I read about the butter. I know it was meant for dogs, but I'll try anything! I couldn't believe it! Worked on the first try! (04/25/2008)

By Muppet381

Tree Sap on a Dog

Awesome! The butter worked perfect. Thank you who ever found this great solution. My pug Winston thanks you also. (04/25/2008)

By Donalyn Rusch

RE: Tree Sap on a Dog

Tree Sap on a Dog

My dog Toni had something sticky on her forehead for a few days. The fur was stuck together forming a little point and it was so tightly stuck I started to think it was a growth. I tried Vaseline, aloe vera, and alcohol, but nothing worked. My husband said maybe it was sap so I found this site and am sooo happy to report that the butter worked fabulously! She also enjoyed having a little to lick while I was "buttering her up" :)

Toni says thank you too.(04/27/2008)

By Helen

RE: Tree Sap on a Dog

How do you get sap off a dog?

How do you get tree sap off your dog?

I just had the lower branches of my 2 pine trees removed and while they look great, the sap from the trees is causing havoc. My little Shih-Poo, Yogi now loves to sit under the trees but has sap on his back, the pads of his feet, and his tail. He just had a haircut, so I can't cut the sap off of his fur.