Removing an Iron-On Transfer from a T-shirt

Category Clothing
T-shirt with a bright orange and red floral design.  Design isolated next to shirt
This is a guide about removing an iron-on transfer from a t-shirt. To clean all traces of an iron-on graphic without damaging the fabric, can be a challenge.

How do I remove a t-shirt transfer?

By Kim

Best Answer

If your transfer has reached the point that it's starting to crack you can pick it off. It's time consuming but it can be done.

Best Answer

I tried the paper one but I put the transfer facing the ceiling and put the paper on top and it worked. We did it on a black hoodie.

Best Answer

I did not find any of these methods to work. I actually found the easiest way to remove the iron on. Clear Packing Tape! I put the sticky side on the iron on and ran my nail over the iron on and peeled it off.

How can I remove an iron on transfer?

Jackie from Lakewood, CO

Answers:

If your transfer has reached the point that it's starting to crack, you can pick it off. It's time consuming but it can be done. (11/06/2007)

By perfume and powder

I did not find any of these methods to work. I actually found the easiest way to remove the iron on is to use clear packing tape! I put the sticky side on the iron-on and ran my nail over the iron-on and peeled it off. (12/05/2007)

By mary

Putting the parchment paper over the face of the transfer, ironing and then using tweezers to carefully remove the transfer worked for me, but I now have the imprint of the transfer in glue which I will now have to work on. (03/04/2008)

By JD

Thank you, Abby! I wish I had tried your method first. I think I ended up making it worse by trying the parchment and the paper methods first. I was finally able, by using your suggestion, to fully remove the iron on number (which for some reason didn't fully adhere) from my son's football jersey which he got for his 5th birthday. Thanks for helping me get the rest off. I really thought I had ruined it. (04/12/2008)

By Linda C.

Abby's right, I first started to peel away the edges realizing that with both front and back decals I wanted removed this was going to take forever. On came the iron and as I rested the iron on the decals they began to melt, even to the point of sticking to the iron, but as they got rubbery, larger clumps would peel off. I had both large decals off in less than 10 minutes.

Thank God for Google and Abby! (06/21/2008)

By Bruce

My preferred method is to use rubbing alcohol. Using a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol, wet the underside of the shirt where the iron-on letter is located. Wait a few seconds for the alcohol to loosen the glue and peel away! It's very easy. Use a bit more alcohol to remove any glue residue. (09/05/2008)

By Claude

I used the dark t-shirt transfer on a black t-shirt. I used a hot iron and a teflon coated iron. I used pressure on the transfer and "rolled" the tip of the iron forward on the transfer causing it to roll away and form a string of transfer which I then pulled off. Careful! It is hot. I finished an 8x10 transfer in less than 15 minutes.

Be sure and use a hard surface under your shirt. I used a teflon cutting board. (09/18/2008)

By Success!

The alcohol (just used method) removed my soccer jersey name with barely any noticeable remains. The letter completely came off only leaving the outline of the letter, but this is ok since I am covering it with another letter. Thanks heaps. :) (10/15/2008)

By hales

Spray the jersey on the back behind the letters with spray brake cleaning spray. The numbers will come off fairly easily, and it left no stain for me. (10/31/2008)

By tim

Thank You Claude!

I had to make a school shirt so my son could be in the Christmas parade. We just could not find his and found out the evening prior he needed one. Well I did not understand the directions and went back to the store another time to get another shirt and iron on package. I did a front and back. Alas another disaster.

The paper on the transfer was stuck! It looked like a taped on sign. It was too late by then so I had to apply another on top. The front looked great. So this evening I am using her advice and it takes a lot of work because it is a boys red knit shirt. But it is working. There are some bits of tiny white balls scattered.

I can iron on the transfer in the exact same spot though and it will be...well as it should, lol. They wear the shirts on Friday, and I am excited he can wear it this Christmas Season. I was surprised the school took a picture of both front and back and will be showing it on there TV. So I am in the process of fixing it and could not have done it with out this tip. Thank you so much! (12/06/2008)

By Kathy

Ah! Thank you guys for all the ideas. I got my iron-on design off by just going over it with an iron (get it as hot as possible) and the design just started shriveling up into clumps. Best thing is, it didn't ruin my iron and it all came off. ;) WARNING: The glue left a barely noticeable mark on the spot though, so I don't have a trick to get that off. (01/28/2009)

By suomi1991

I didn't know how to get an iron-on off my old tye-dyed shirt, so I took a wet paper towel and wrung it out of the iron-on, and shortly after, took an iron set of high cotton and ironed in a circular motion taking the iron on off. (03/01/2009)

By Jill J.

How do I remove a Iron On Transfer from a T-Shirt?

Thank you,

Lori from Roaring River, NC

Answers:

Unfortunately, from the two sources I've found so far, it appears that iron-on transfers are not able to be removed. :(

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=221283

http://www.itsmineusa.com/clothing-name-labels.htm#6 (03/28/2006)

By germanbini

Well I found away to remove the iron on transfers who said you couldn't, I found where there's a will there's a way and yes I found it. It came about after looking on the net for a solution and not finding one, I thought to my self there has to be a way and then I thought well if you accidentally iron over the transfer without the protective sheet you wreck the transfer so I thought that maybe you could remove it by ironing directly on the transfer and it would melt the glue and it would rub off and I found it does. Here's how I did it first I wet the area and subsequent area around the transfer on the material in my case a t-shirt and then ironed directly onto the transfer with a hot iron/cotton setting (no protective sheet) and made circular motions over the transfer until it melted and began melting together into little balls. From there I picked off the balls and used a lint brush the ones you can get that are made with sandpaper or the metal comb looking ones to scrape off the stubborn bits like taking off lint from your clothes. I repeated this action until the transfer was off. The only down side is that you may not get it all off in some cases but hay it's worth a try considering they say you can't get it off any other way. Oh and one other down side your iron might get a bit sticky and the transfer will stick to the surface and need to be cleaned but hay the transfer will be off. There is a way to get around it sticking too much to the iron by buying one that is Teflon coated, which is what I have at the moment. Good Luck it's not a 100% solution there is the slight possiblilty that you can ruin your material or it doesn't come off to good.

Hope this helps and works for you, it did for me.

Abby (12/28/2006)

By Abby

Its only stuck on with a glue type substance at the end of the day, surely?

Theres got to be a chemical solution to do it. Got to be.

Myself, I am lumbered with 20 Real Madrid shirts, with..Beckham, on the back. Silly really, as everyone knows whom I am anyway.
best of luck.

David.

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Wow, Becks, I didn't know you frequented ThriftyFun! (02/13/2007)

By DB

I tried what Abby previous posted and it works!

By Kim

You should use parchment paper (You can find it at any grocery store) and iron that over the transfer for about 30 seconds. The transfer should come off. (05/15/2007)

By Anthony

Just tried the parchment paper. It took a little more than 30 seconds, but It worked excellent!!
Thanks! (07/17/2007)

By Jodi

WOW. i never knew transfers could be removed thanks for letting me know this (07/18/2007)

By imaqt1962

This really works. My girlfriend was finishing up a section of a quilt for the family reunion raffle when the last iron on transfer moved on her ruining the piece of fabric she'd been working on for two weeks.. I knew I had to try something so I grabbed a can of brake parts cleaner out of the shed. I ironed on a transfer to a sample peace of fabric and then tried the brake parts cleaner which removed it COMPLETELY!! This is available at auto zone, the brand is called value-craft brake parts cleaner, and is two bucks a can. This really does work and hopefully you'll see this post!! (08/05/2007)

By Jeremy

I was looking for a way to remove an Iron-On T-shirt Transfer for inkjet printers (the Print'N'Press type), and I found I could remove it by soaking the fabric in Goo Gone, and then gently brushing it off with a toothbrush. I did it under running water -- the hottest I could handle -- and slowly, but surely, it came off.

Dude. Goo Gone is awesome.

Hope this helps someone out there.

(09/18/2007)

By Carey D.

I'm sorry. But none of the suggestions on this page worked. The GooGone didn't work at all, the re-ironing of the transfer just made burn marks on the area around the transfer (from too much heat I suppose) and the hot running water worked slightly but after much scrubbing with a hard bristle brush I hadn't gotten any more then a sliver of the transfer off. And actually, by trying all of these methods the material actually started disintegrating before my eyes. Maybe it depends on the material but nothing has worked for me thus far! :( (10/26/2007)

By Jenni

I tried Abby's suggestion and it took some time but eventually it did work. I did notice that you really needed to continue to re-wet. Thank you so much for your advice. (10/28/2007)

By Andrea

I have the thing that works. I found it on the web somewhere. Take a plain piece of paper, lay the article on the paper with the transfer face down on the paper and then take a hot iron and just work at it. The transfer will stay on the paper. I thought I had ruined 2 shirts but I tried this and it took less than a hour to do both t-shirts. Try it this works. (10/29/2007)

By scarlet8172