Removing Iron-On Labels and Patches

If the decal is beginning to peel up or you just want to remove it, you may be wondering how to get off iron on patches. This is a guide about removing iron-on labels and patches.

This is a guide about removing an iron-on transfer from a t-shirt. To clean all traces of an iron-on graphic without damaging the fabric, can be a challenge.

T-shirt with a bright orange and red floral design.  Design isolated next to shirt

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I bought my husband a dress shirt at Goodwill. It's in perfect shape, but I discovered there is a strange iron on label inside the collar. It's like paper, but it's tough.

I have tried Goo Gone and fabric softener. I have tried heating with the iron. I have tried plain water. I even tried digging it off with a flat screwdriver, but it isn't even fazed. I am at a loss as to how to get it out. Does anyone have any ideas of what would work? Thank you.

By Ruth from Hawthorn, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Easy Instructions. Things You'll Need:

Ironing board

Iron
Cloth or parchment paper

Step 1) Place the garment with the iron-on label on an ironing board, with the label facing up. Turn your iron on to the highest setting.

Step 2) Place either a thin piece of cloth or parchment paper over the label.

Step 3) Apply heat to the cloth or parchment paper over the iron-on label for 10 to 15 seconds.

Step 4) Carefully remove the cloth or parchment paper and immediately pull the corner of the label. The label will be hot; consider using a knife to slowly peel back the label.

Step 5) As the label cools, stop peeling and repeat. You may need to steam it off with a damp cloth.

Best Answer

I see that you said you tried an iron, if you try the method "kffrmw88 " suggested and it doesn't work, you may have to put a softer label over the top. Perhaps a dry cleaner would have a suggestion also.

In order to get out of sewing about 25 patches/badges on my daughters Jr Girl Scout Vest, I used something called "Sew No More" which was recommended to me by my aunt. I, of course, put them all in the wrong spots! I tore one of the patches off and there is now a shiney dried glue spot in the shape of the patch. Does anyone know if this stuff washes off the material? On the tube it says it is washable, but that is when the patches are on. I dont want to rip off all the patches and be left with a bunch of shiny spots all over it. Any advise before I end up having to buy her a new vest?

Thanks,
Kim from NJ

Answers

I would take a scrap of fabric that is similar in weight and texture (maybe denim) and do a "test" patch with another scrap of fabric. Let it dry like you did on the vest and then tear it off like you did on the vest. Try some different products on the test "glue patch". I'd try rubbing alcohol, or acetone nail polish remover or a product called "oops" (found in the painting supplies at WalMart). You may need to moisten it and then scrape with your fingernail to remove it. Hope something works for you!

I would like to know where you bought the 'Sew No More'.

I have some patches I need to put on a denim jacket.
...and good luck on finding a way to remove the shiny spots.

is this like the no sew hem its like white cloth tape you use to hem pants with an iron if so when i wanted to lower my hem i had to carefully peel it off

I added some sequins to a top. I used sew no more the sequins are falling off now and all I have is lots of dots of shiny dried glue. I need to get it off! Do you really think that the nail polish remover will work?

I found two nice, almost new shirts that have a tag with the name of the previous owner on them. They are unobtrusive and seem to have been added by a dry-cleaner, but I would prefer to remove them. Do you know how?

By Tom

Answers

I have work uniforms from Cintas. I no longer work at the company from which I received them. They are nice and universal for any new job; painting, pressure washing, etc., any General Labour. So I need to remove the company name and leave my name. So I tried ripping them off and just put a giant hole in one of them shirts. So I did some looking and alcohol was something I had read to use. Sure enough, it loosened the patch enough for me to pull off. I put it on a cotton ball and rubbed on the back on the patch. And v'wwahla

Really? Just plain old rubbing alcohol worked on your professionaly done uniforms? I need to do that to my husbands work shirts.

Anonymous

Must depend on fabric cause alcohol didnt. work

I am trying to remove a professionally ironed on applique from a burgandy cotton shirt. Any suggestions?

Priscilla

Answers

You may have tried this, but just iron it loose yourself, on the reverse side of the shirt. Put some old cloth over the cloth of the shirt, exactly on the reverse side of the applique, so that you don't burn the shirt, and iron away on high. The glue will soften and then you can pull away the applique. I have used this technique with some success. The problem is that sometimes there are stubborn remnants of glue. Normally those too can be lifted by putting the old cloth directly on top of them, after you take away the applique, and continuing to iron. The glue will melt even more and be absorbed by the old cloth.
The temp. of the iron should be high to work through the glue, so be careful and watch out for burning.

Try this. It does NOT WORK

Used a hairdryer on high/hot setting. Held it to back of appliqué that had been put on school uniform shirt professionally. It was off in five seconds!

I had some pjs personalised for my nephew, they arrived and the name was spelled wrong. They are a Christmas present and I need a solution to remove it quickly as the company has a no returns policy on personalised products. Please help.

By Emma

Answers

Can't help on the removal but, if the company made the incorrect spelling mistake then they are responsible. Return and request a correction or a refund.

Anonymous

They should take them back if they made the mistake in spelling. Any reputable company would

How do you remove adhesive patches from jeans?

By J from Mesa, AZ

Answers

Here are my personal tips on removing iron ons.
-Dissolve the transfer adhesive using rubbing alcohol.
-Iron the clothing under a piece of parchment paper.
-Wet the transfer and then iron it off.
-Peel the transfer away with your fingernails.
-Wash the clothing to remove any remaining bits of glue.

Other tips:
-A Teflon-coated iron works best for the parchment paper method.
-Use Goo Gone if the iron-on does not come off.
-Combine several of the methods above if desired.

For more information about iron ons and patches, you can visit. www.irononpatches.info.

Anonymous

I just removed an iron on label with the alcohol and then ironing it with a hot hot iron and it worked great, the label came off eventually pulling at it, thanks

My son just got back from a field trip that was 2 hours away and he bought a nylon drawstring bag. The decal or silk screen is starting to peel off in 5 or 6 places already. Is there any way to reattach the print? It looks like new, not all wrinkled up. Thanks for any help.

By Jill

Answers

Use fabric glue. You can get it at the craft stores. Get a small inexpensive flat brush also to paint the glue on the back side of the decal, attach back onto the nylon bag and secure with tape till it drys.

I have a cloth type jacket and I want the decal taken off. How can I do this?

By Nancy

Answers

By decal, you mean a patch or logo on the article? If so, you cannot really remove it without it showing. The best thing to do is to buy another one to go over it or make your own. You can buy fabric that meshes to fabrics together with an iron so that would be how you make your own.

How do I remove professional paint on logos?

By Pat from Baltimore, OH

How do you remove a decal from a polo shirt?

By Jackie from Fall River, MA

How do you get letters or numbers off of sweatpants that have been ironed on?

By Kayla from TN

Answers:

Removing Iron On Decals from Clothing

Apply fabric softener directly to the "iron- on". Allow it to soften the adhesive, then cover with a towel and iron on "hot" till the iron-ons are loosened. However, the "shadows" will not go away. (09/07/2010)

By Flomerch

How does one remove an ironed on decal from a cotton/polyester hoodie? Anyone with any ideas? Thanks much.

By Willi from Calgary, AB, Canada

Answers:

Removing Iron On Decals from Clothing

Keep in mind that if the fabric has faded at all, it will not have faded underneath the decal and the outline will remain. If you still want to remove them, put an old white cloth over the decal and iron the heck out of it. The decal should stick to the cloth. (01/23/2010)

By MarilynLV

How can you remove a burned on iron-on? It is burned onto a pair of shorts.

By Questionedgirl from Can't say

Answers:

Removing an Iron-On

Hope this will help.

ehow.com (07/18/2009)

By Deeli

I recently bought some shirts at a yard sale that had glued on decals. How can I get them off? I tried nail polish remover, but it didn't work.

Linda M from Union Grove, NC

Answers:

Removing Iron On Decals from Clothing

If the decals are the iron-on type, you can try ironing them one at a time. While the glue is warm, the decals should peel off. (10/05/2008)

By elyseny

Removing Iron On Decals from Clothing

Wouldn't you be left with a gummy unattractive look to your shirt even if you were able to remove the decal? You could sew on a fabric applique over the decal if it's the decal itself you do not like. (10/05/2008)

By theseamstress

Removing Iron On Decals from Clothing

Perhaps you could put another iron-on that you do like, over it. (10/05/2008)

By qtpuh2tme

Removing Iron On Decals from Clothing

They say that "Goop" which mechanics use to wash their hands, works well for this. (10/05/2008)

By Cyinda

Removing Iron On Decals from Clothing

Maybe some "Goo Gone". It's used for taking of labels and such. It's very good. (10/06/2008)

By druidana

How can you remove an iron-on that has been applied already?

ann71 from Lansing, IL

Answers:

Removing an Iron-On

You can remove it by warming it up again with the hot iron. Quickly peel it off before it cools. The glue is nearly the same as hot glue, but higher temp so it will survive the dryer. The trouble is that half the glue will stay on the fabric and the only way to solve this without scissors is to apply new iron-ons. God bless. (12/03/2008)

By kimhis