Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

Scratched eyeglasses are a real nuisance and make it hard to wear the glasses you need. Repairing the scratch will help you see better and your glasses will look nicer also. This is a guide about repairing scratched eyeglasses.

February 17, 2012 Flag

My glasses (polycarbonate lenses with anti-glare coating, no other coatings) were ruined when I got brake cleaner on them. They looked like they had tiny scratches and dots all over the lenses (like shiny spiderwebs), to the point that I couldn't drive at night with them.

I found out about Armour Etch, printed out a 50% off coupon, and went to Michaels craft store for a 3oz bottle - $6.50 total. After removing the lenses from the frame, I put a nice thick layer on both sides of each lens, just gently dab with a Q-tip. The goo is abrasive so don't rub and scratch your lenses.

It took 2 times at 5 minutes each. I don't see why you couldn't leave it on for an hour or more. After washing them off, they are like new, other than a couple deep scratches. This will not magically get rid of deep scratches. It only gets rid of the scratched/crazed coating on the surface.

By Dude

My glasses always get that mess on them after a few years.

I am really glad to know this!

Yes, it gets rid of the anti-glare coating. They will not be "anti-glare" any more. I have been wearing that same pair every day for 6 months or so, I have them on now, and they look just fine. DO NOT try this with real glass lenses, you will make frosted opaque glasses.

April 23, 2012 Flag

If your eye glasses get scratched, take them back to the place where you got them and have them buff the scratch out. Why spend money on something that you really don't know will work. Worse you might ruin an expensive pair of glasses. Chances are your shop will not charge you or if they do it won't be much.

By Lilac from Springfield, MA

Doesn't work so well if you, like many people now, buy glasses online.

I was told at Shopko that the light abrasion on my non-glare coated lenses could not be repaired but I could replace it for $245. So I'm willing to try some of these ideas.

May 26, 2011 Flag

My cat got to my glasses since I left them out of the case (the one time) and I have only had my glasses for barely a month. I am a bit annoyed because I can actually notice the scratches and it's just bothersome. (I have learned my lesson, do not leave glasses out of glasses case before going to bed, I know now). I have read a few posts on the internet:

"Lenses that have a protective or non-glare coating cannot always be buffed enough to remove the scratches without also removing the coating."

"Some scratches may reside in the lens coating, not on the lens; these cannot be buffed out."

"Buffing with anything abrasive means removing material surrounding the scratch(es) to level the surface. This can change the shape of a lens, making it less effective."

I really love these glasses (they are from Walmart) and the thing is, we don't have the kind of money to go buy another pair and besides, that would be a waste of money anyway. So should I just deal with the scratches or is there a way to get rid of them without having any of the above happen? Advice is very much appreciated and thank you for reading, sorry for this being so long.

By Rachael G.

Best Answer

Rachael,

I'm not familiar with Wal-Mart optical shops (don't have them in my state), but since it has been only a month, I suggest you call them and check about what kind of warranty/replacement policy they have. Before I became a mommy I worked for an optometrist for about 8 or 9 years, and I wouldn't recommend trying to buff out the scratches. Removing lens material with alter the Rx. I've heard some people criticize saying that it's such a small amount it won't make any difference. But I think it depends on the individual patient's tolerance. Some people are very visually acute and will notice or feel the difference. Many optical shops offer a warranty. Did you get an AR (anti-reflective) coating? Many times lenses with an AR coating come with a one time/one year scratch warranty. And even if there isn't a warranty, perhaps if you explain they can offer you a discount on replacement lenses. I hope it all works out for you!

Best Answer

My husband scratched his new glasses so he talked to his eye doctor. They told him to clean them with nail polish remover and it worked!! Hope this helps!

Best Answer

August 1, 2013 Flag

I think the use of Armour Etch to remove the antiglare and scratch resistant coatings has been said enough about. Plus it's on YouTube. It worked for me on my PLASTIC prescription glasses with metal frames.

July 9, 2013 Flag

I've read most of the suggestions, but here is what worked for me. I got my polycarbonate lenses with the AR coating at Walmart. As most of the tips suggest, the most likely cause of your scratches are due to scratches in the AR coating.

January 22, 2014 Flag

I spilled super glue on the lens and tried to clean with warm water and soap using a sponge. This made it worse. Can I remove this scratch easily?

By Joey

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had heard to try white toothpaste. Apply it in circular motion. Couldn't hurt to try.

September 28, 2013 Flag

Has anyone ever used "Scratch Out" (a product to remove scratches from CDs) on plastic lenses?

By Barbara

I've tried "Scratch Out" on glasses and several other items, NO LUCK!

"Scratch Out" hasn't worked for me on anything I've used it on...including Eye Glasses!

February 18, 2011 Flag

How do I repair scratches on eyeglasses?

By Kathy from Haleyville, AL

There are oodles of ideas if you scroll down on this page to the ThriftyFun archives.

I have only had my progressive glasses for 3 months, but they already have some scratches on the lens. I believe that I scratched them by using a t-shirt to wipe them clean. : ( I do have the non glare coating. I have noticed a big difference with the non glare coating, I really like it. If I use the ideas posted here, will that take all the coating off?

As to the warranty, Binyons offers only 30 days.

any ideas?

April 26, 2013 Flag

A scratch repair product made my lens seemed streaked or like they had lines in them. Is there anyway they might be saved now?

By Suzie

I used cpr lenses on my glasses and they are ruined. What can I do?

March 17, 2012 Flag

I am looking looking for info regarding how to remove scratches from eyeglass lenses. I read about it, but do not remember the name of the product. I think it came from Michael's craft store. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

By saving4me

Try white tooth paste, just a tiny bit rubbed in a circle. The optical places should sell a spray that will cover mild scratches.

July 9, 2011 Flag

I have plastic UV sun glasses. They were very costly ones, so I would like to know about how we can remove the scratches.

By M.G. Karunanidhi

It is possible that white toothpaste (not gel) if rubbed in circles on the lenses may help.

February 18, 2011 Flag

How can I fix scratches on my plastic eye glasses lenses?

By Michael from Hyattsvilee, MD

Answers:

Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

If your eyeglasses are less than two years old most optometrists will fix them free. Good luck. (09/29/2010)

By yoder178

Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

I too suffered from annoying and clouding scratches on my eyeglasses. Reading these posts motivated me to believe that the coating was the culprit. I also read a post saying that headlight repair compound (Auto-Sol) could help. I happened to have some of that stuff for headlights, and I tried it. My lenses were much worse, and they had much more scratching in them. Then I bought some Armour Etch, figuring that I had nothing to lose at that point. The Armour Etch worked really well, and now my lenses look like new again. I recommend it! (10/02/2010)

By hudgek

Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses

Finding myself with scratched lenses and damaged frames, I was resigned to buying a new set of glasses. I couldn't find my prescription, so it looked like I was in for the whole nine yards (to the tune of about $400). Looking around for an alternative, I came across this website and decided to try Armor Etch. Result: my lenses are vastly improved (not perfect, but almost). On the frames, I bought a new exact replacement titanium set online for under $100. So now I have the equivalent of new glasses for less than 1/3 the price! (02/17/2011)

By cessna182b

Buy a new one, hahaha

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesOctober 25, 2011
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
broken eyeglasses
Repairing Eyeglasses
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case, Empty Eyeglass Case
Reusing An Eyeglasses Case
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses
🎉
🎄