FurnitureRepair

Repairing Sticky Drawers on Painted Dresser

I refurbished a small old dresser of my husband's for our daughter. I sanded it, painted, and redid it all myself. Now the drawers stick. I can't redo it she picked the colors herself and she loves it, but I don't want her to get hurt trying to open it. What can I do without having to do it all over again?

I have no more paint in those colors nor do I have the time. I need a quick fix.

Anonymous

Get a bar of soap and slide it along the drawer edges.

Familyhandyman.com says:

Rub paraffin on the meeting parts of drawers to keep them working smoothly. You'll find paraffin with the canning supplies in your local grocery store. In a pinch you can also use candles, bar soap or even dry spray lubricant.

i guess the first question would be - did the drawers work great before you started your project?

First thing to try - make sure that all of the drawers are in the correct spaces. They may all look the same, but they are not quite the same- one could be a bit warped or have a joint swollen from the moisture of the paint.

Try to determine the places where the drawers are sticking and just work on those areas first. Did you get paint on the underside of the drawer (where it slides/runs on the frame)? If so, maybe some sandpaper would help but be careful and place the drawer on something that will chip or scratch the paint. Lots of sticking drawers have been fixed with a little sandpaper in the right spot.

Tracking down the tight spot will be a first move and then if excess paint is not the problem, there are several thing you can try rubbing on the slides/runners. Paraffin, wax paper, candle wax, bar soap

Rub a bar of soap on the edges of the drawers.

Thank you all. I will try all ideas and will let ya'll know what worked. Thanks again