Repairing Tears on Microfiber Furniture

Category Sofas
When furniture fabric is torn, fixing it can be a challenge. This guide is about repairing tears on microfiber furniture.

I have a hole in the foot rest area from the heel of a shoe. How do I repair it?

I saw online this site that discusses how to fix this problem:

"I managed to stumble across a site suggesting using a Fray Check on the edges of the tear to prevent further tearing, and then sewing the hole shut, but didn't give good instructions for sewing the hole shut. So, I decided to make my own instructions, and created a way to sew the hole shut so that it not only blends, but should be very, very sturdy, even with 6 kids jumping on it."

http://homemake  -microfiber.html

From sfgate.com:

You can repair a burn in a microfiber couch.

Microfiber is a synthetic material commonly used to make mats, knits, filters, clothing and upholstery. Most microfibers are made of petrochemicals; because of this, they readily burn. To hamper volatile ignition, microfibers of this sort are coated with a flame retardant. This means that if a burning ember from something such as a cigarette or a cigar settles onto a microfiber couch arm, it will burn a hole through the fabric, but the material around the hole will not combust. Because of this characteristic, a burn can be successfully repaired.

Sponsored link

Link to How-To Videos

Search Videos w/ HowToSimplified On How to Do it Yourself - Free!

www.howtosimplified.com

1

Cut the edges off of the burned area. The burned area will be slightly discolored and possibly melted. Remove all signs of the burn or melting.

2

Dab fabric glue around the edges of the fibers that have just been cut. This keeps them from fraying. Don't use too much glue -- a little bit here goes a long way.

3

Cut a piece of fabric from the upholstery where it won't be noticed. Usually on the bottom of the furniture, you can snip off a piece large enough to cover a burned area. Make sure the piece overlaps the area by at least 1/4 inch. This doesn't have to be exact, but there needs to be a bit of overlap to make a successful patch.

4

Fluff out the stuffing in the hole so it rises slightly higher than the level of the unburned material next to it. Do this by pulling the stuffing up out of the hole, then slightly pressing it back down again. If the stuffing has been burned and won't fluff, insert a cotton ball. A cotton ball can be trimmed to fit so it will go into the hole and make a solid base for the patch.

5

Place fabric glue over the outside edges of the patch. Run a glue bead around the entire outside edge.

6

Place the patch onto the burned area and using a tweezers, press it straight through until the entire patch is inside. Position the patch so it completely covers the area. The fluff beneath the patch automatically presses up onto the bottom of the patch and makes a seal between the glued edge and the inside of the hole.

Things You Will Need

Small scissors

Fabric glue

Fabric

Stuffing, if applicable

Cotton ball

How do I repair a tear on a micro material sofa?

Anonymous

My husband has a fabric lift chair and he digs his heal into the foot rest upholstery. There is starting to be some small tears. How can I repair it or what do you recommend covering it with?

How do I repair holes in microfiber furniture?

Mary

I bought a Miami Dolphins microfiber couch a couple of years ago and just recently noticed some little tiny holes on the back of the couch. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

I have a microfiber couch that has a rip in the seat cushion. The hard part is the cushion is attached to the couch and won't come up so I cannot just put a piece of fabric under it. Any suggestions for what I can do? Also what should I use?

By Kristen

Go to this website and see if it helps.

http://homemake  -microfiber.html

Not sure if this would be what you're looking for, but seems as though it might work: Heat n Bond. You should test it on a piece of scrap fabric first, before using it on your sofa, but it looks as though this wouldn't be too noticeable. https://www.you  ch?v=dmDvjE14tek

How do you fix a tear in a micro suede couch?

By Michele from Columbus, OH

I need to know how to fix a very tiny tear in my one week old Swede couch.

My dog chewed a hole in my microfiber couch. How can I repair it? The tear is a little smaller than a baseball.

By nlhargrave from Orange, TX

Just wondering if you found out a way to repair your hole because our bulldog just did the same to our couch. Thanks either way for the help.

I need help repairing small tears in a microfiber sofa.

Crystal from Lexington, KY

Nothing available that just told me what I wanted to know. Plenty of suggestions as to where I can purchase velvet and even how to sew it when making up a garment but NOTHING on how to repair a tear.

I have a microfiber couch which has two small torn places, close together. How can I patch it without it being noticeable?

By Ratmomma from Knoxville, TN