Cleaning Microfiber Furniture

Category Furniture
Microfiber is a favorite upholstery for furniture. Because it is generally used on couches and chairs, it is subjected to a lot of use and abuse. This is a guide about cleaning microfiber furniture.

Microfiber is polyester based so most things can be used to clean polyester. If your couch has a tag: W means you can use water based cleaner, S means you can use a solvent cleaner, S-W means you can use both, and X means vacuum only.

For S-W fabrics: Use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water in equal parts, or vodka (a clear alcohol). The fabric usually becomes hard after cleaning, so gently scrub with a soft scrub brush. It will fluff up the fabric to make it soft again.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

This is a guide about washing microfiber cushion covers. One way to keep your microfiber cushion covers clean is to wash them.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning microsuede furniture. While possibly easier to clean than its leather inspiration, the nap on micro suede does require some care when cleaning.

This is a guide about using a steam cleaner on microfiber. Steam cleaning is a great way to tackle many household cleaning jobs without the use of chemical cleaners.

This is a guide about cleaning ink on microfiber furniture. Removing an ink stain on microfiber furniture is generally successful if you use the right product and method.

This is a guide about water spots on a micro fiber couch. Water marks on microfiber are either the result of previous cleaning attempts or a spill.

It is easy to remove them and have your couch looking great again.

How can I clean microfiber furniture? Most of the stain is skin oil, but there are other spills that I don't know what they are. I don't want to ruin the fabric.

By Michelle white from USA

Answers

Try using Simple Green and a sponge or a clean cloth. We use it for everything and it really gets stains out well.

Natural cleaners can work wonders. Try club soda, leave it on for a few minutes, then blot. Or try vinegar and warm water. As for chemical cleaners try Dreft laundry spray. It is usually where the detergents are, or baby section. It is wonderful at lifting stains. I use on clothes also. Works better than the other spot removers, especially oily stains or "human stains" Test an area first to make sure it doesn't discolor. Good luck!

Believe it or not I have used those small packages on single "Shout" stain cleaners. Those things seem to work on everything. Good luck.

How do you clean a dried pop stain off of a microfiber couch?

By tiffany from Casper, WY

Answers

Since your ottoman is very light coloured, hydrogen peroxide might do the trick. Test it on the fabric somewhere where you won't see it first, to make sure it won't harm the fabric. If it tests okay, put it on a clean rag and rub gently into the stained area. I successfully used hydrogen peroxide to get a bunch of stains off a white chair that was freecycled to me.

Hydrogen peroxide is a mild bleaching agent, so you need to be a bit more cautious before using it on darker coloured fabric.

The cleaning code on microfiber is W (water). Use warm water & a little mild soap only. No chemicals. I worked for La-Z-Boy for years & sold a LOT of microfiber.

50/50 vinegar and water

if still there, sprinkle with baking soda and then a little vinegar

It will fizz and get it out. Rinse well or it will bleach over time.

I need info on how to clean a cream microsuede couch and love seat.

By Freda from Portsmouth, VA

Answers

I would get the cleaning code for the micro-suede. Sometimes you will find it attached to the paperwork tags on the sofa. If not, call the store where you purchased and ask them.

We've had many different types of fabric on our furniture over the years, with kids and dogs, and microsuede is, by far, the easiest we have found to clean and maintain. I'm not sure where you are, but in Canada we have a product called ProSolve, which is a foam spray that comes in an aerosol can. If you need to spot clean, just spray it on the area, let it sit for a minute or two, and then rub with a clean sponge or cloth.

It will take out just about anything (including pen ink). I would think any spot-cleaning product would work just as well. You may find after spot-cleaning though that the area will be noticeable because the area around it doesn't look as clean. We have a small cleaning machine called a Green Machine that is perfect for cleaning sofa upholstery etc. Our sofa. love seat and chair is a light beige microsuede, we've had it for 5 years, and using the methods I've mentioned, it still looks like new!

After working for La-Z-Boy furniture, I can tell you the only thing ever recommended was soap & warm water. The cleaning code for Microfiber is W (water). Be very careful with chemicals and solvents, they can destroy the fabric. Never go near Microfiber with something like nail polish remover, it will eat it up.

Can anyone tell me how to get Carmex (lip balm) out of dark green micro fiber sofa. She tried a shampooer and it only made it worse. It is a large area as my niece's daughter smeared it all over herself and then rolled on the couch. Thanks.

By Nancy from Mokena, IL

Answers

Try shaving cream with a toothbrush. Good luck

My dog knocked a pan of vegetable oil off the stove, rolled in it and then rolled around on my brand new micro fiber couch to get it off. I used dawn dish soap mixed with water and a hard bristle brush and then used the attachment on my carpet cleaner to pull any left over water out, let it dry in the sun, no oil and no "water spots" appeared. Good Luck

Nancy,
I am assuming that lip balm is wax based, if so an old issue of good housekeeping magazine suggested using an iron and kraft paper to get wax out of fabric. I would suggest using a low heat on the back of the couch as I am not familiar with what microfibre fabric is, if it does not harm the fabric it would be worth trying the above suggestion on a small corner of the stain, and deciding whether or not to continue
Hope this helps. Hugs, Cinnamon

When cleaning my micro fiber couch, it seems the alcohol is making even more rings/spots. What should I do or try?

Can I use Oxiclean on my microfiber couch?

By Renee

Answers

On our couch, we use rubbing alcohol, the higher percentage the better. Dries quickly, and doesn't stain as water would.

I am looking for a homemade cleaner to clean my microfiber couch. I need suggestions to remove spots and pet odors from my microfiber couch.

By GK

I have a few ring stains on my micro fiber couch (from my little one's sippy cup). So far I have tried Resolve upholstery cleaner, but that did not help. Does anyone have a better idea?

By Erin J. from Chicago, IL

Our love seat and couch is microfiber and the whole thing needs to be cleaned. The arms are especially stained. Any good ideas to clean the entire couch and love seat?

By Marianne

I have the new microfiber on my chair and it collects every crumb and piece of lint! Is there any way to prevent this or clean it easily when it collects crumbs.

By Denise C.

Answers

I hate my microfiber recliner. I have purchased a cover for it, but I did use window spray on a rag to clean for a while. But the dirt just got worse and worse. I'll never buy microfiber again!

I have a male dog that likes to get on my microfiber couch. At times he leaves little white stains. How can I get this to come out? All I have tried was water and dish detergent, that did nothing. Please help.

By tracy from WI

Answers

Try babywipes. I prefer huggies! I have a bulldog and he drools all over the couch. Somehow his eye boogies get on there too. Baby wipes have taken blood out of the couch too!

I have a microfiber sofa and love seat, that are two months old. The color is beige. I have no problems getting stains out. My husband has a woodshop and sawdust gets on the furniture. How can I get it off? I have tried to vacuum it, but it just does not come off. I have to take a damp towel and almost beat the sofa to make the dust come off. My cushions are not removable. Any help would be appreciated.

By RachelleD from LA

Answers

Have you figured out any thing? I have a similar problem.

How do I keep off white microfiber furniture from getting dirty and stained?

By Phyllis Jenkins Ekberg Davenport from Lawton, OK

Answers

Step 1 Vacuum the furniture thoroughly to remove any dust, debris or sharp items that might tear or damage the furniture.

Step 2 Dampen a white cloth with a small amount of dish soap and gently swirl it over any marks, stains or food spots. Take a clean, dry white cloth and briskly rub the newly cleaned area, circling widely into the already dry areas to blend the two together. Repeat occasionally until the furniture is completely dry.

Step 3 Remove food that is stuck to the fabric by gently rubbing until the food dissolves. Do not try to pry or pick it off as this will tear the fabric, causing permanent damage to the furniture.

Step 4 Use a baby wipe to remove ink, crayons, marker and other tough stains. Baby wipes will also clean away water rings left by washing with straight water or an incorrect detergent.

Step 5 Wet a magic eraser and ring out excess moisture to remove sticky substances like gum and candy.

Step 6 Keep your microfiber furniture clean with occasional cleansing with the fabric attachment for your steam cleaner. If you don't have a steam cleaner, you can rent one. Good luck.

Can I use OxiCLean on a microfiber sofa. They are brown and they have black water ring stains on them.

Lourdes from New York

Answers

I first test the oxyclean on an underneath or back area of the sofa where you can't see it. This way if they oxy-clean fades the fabric, you'll know & won't use it. I'd first try my favorite organic stain remover HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (meaning it always removes ORGANIC, or natural stains, stains caused by "Natural" things.... Peroxide will remove grape juice, but not grape drink or kool-aid) Peroxide will remove blood (straight ammonia also works wonders with dried on blood!), red wine, hot cocoa & coffee stains, but nothing with artificial dyes or colors. But I don't know about your problem... It's worth a try... but ALWAYS FIRST DO A SAMPLE TEST AREA before using any new cleaner.

DIRECTIONS: Just pour the peroxide on the area & wait, then blot with a white towel or white rag... Then repeat if needed. (I left the peroxide on an area of wall to wall carpet with dried on coffee stains for about 20 min then blotted & added more peroxide & rubbed it in with my finger or toothbrush & waited another 20 min, then blotted till dry. It worked wonders! The coffee stains were TOTALLY gone!) No rinsing is needed & peroxide leaves no residue. OR you can put the peroxide in a small, well marked spray bottle & spray it on... You can also use a tooth brush & dip the toothbrush into the peroxide & scrub a bit. But first, let the peroxide sit a bit to do it's "fizzing-thing". Never use the peroxide made for bleaching hair, it's WAY to strong! Just use the cheap kind you but at the grocery or drug store. It's with the first-aid supplies.

If you DO use the oly-clean, make sure to dilute it with alot of water first!... I'm wondering if after the area cleaned with the oxyclean sits in the sun for a while if it might fade quicker than the rest of the fabric... Does anybody know if this is true???

Does anyone know how I can remove Vaseline from a Microfiber dining chair (with non removable covers)?

Answers

By Carmella (Guest Post)

I have the same question. Is there anybody out there that can give any advice??? Thanks

How do I remove white spots from microfiber chairs?

By Ruth

How do I get red Kool-Aid out of micro fiber?

By Karen

How do I clean puppy pee from a microfiber couch? Please help.

By Sylwia Wojdyla O.

Load More