I have a fairly new microwave that has stopped heating, the lights still work but it doesn't heat. Could it be a fuse? Where is the fuse located?
If it is 'fairly new' it should still be under warranty. Check out the paper work and ring the manufacturer. (02/19/2005)
By Jo Bodey
If under warranty, use the warranty. Otherwise, it's probably the microwave (magnetron) tube, and isn't worth fixing. Microwaves are usually cheap, so just replace it. (02/19/2005)
My microwave, less than 2 years old, but out of warranty and by a major appliance manufacturer, burned up while I stood there hungry and horrified. It was the magnetron, and the inside of the microwave was melted.
I went to Sears instead for the next one and bought their counter-top microwave/convection oven. It is wonderful. It was a little more expensive than my other one at about $250, but I use it for everything (including baking cakes and brownies) and don't have to heat up the large oven or the house. It's great when it's 95-100 degrees outside and it's hard to keep the house cool anyway. I think it saves on electric bills, but my family laughs at me. I think our electric bills have gone down tremendously by using this and a plain old clothes line outside! (02/21/2005)
Toss it, it's toast. It's also no longer safe (06/23/2005)
I have a GE Microwave that won't heat up. The light and everything is working fine, but it just won't heat anything up. Any idea what could be wrong? I would appreciate it.
Editor's Note: This site has lots of repair information and parts if you need them. This link is to the microwave page.
It's definitely fixable. Newer microwaves have a little wire that shorts out on them. About 50-75 dollars to get someone out to fix it. (07/12/2008)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!