Repelling Neighborhood Cats

We have cats in my neighborhood and one (or more) of them have come up on my porch and peed on my door. I think they do it at night. It smells horrible. How can I keep cats off of my porch or away from my door, when I'm not there? How can I repel them? Its so gross.

By Bluesome from Tonawanda, NY

Answers:

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I find orange peels work just great. In gardens, on door steps, etc. (05/21/2009)

By kostalota

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

Heloise had the answer to that question this month in Good Housekeeping. She said wash the area well with soap and water. When dry, clean with an enzyme eating product (I've used Nature's Miracle). Then as often as you can (especially just before bed) spray the area with a citrus spray because cats don't like that smell. (05/21/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

We cleaned the area and sprayed vinegar and water mix there. It works really good for us. Not so well on a fence, but on a porch it worked. This also works around the windows and doors on the inside to keep out spiders and other bugs. The salad dressing smell goes away soon. More vinegar then water, 2 parts vinegar to 1 part water. (05/22/2009)

By Angela74

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

Citronella candles that you can get to repel bugs can be set out at night, unlit of course. You can also put out lemon peels. They are great for your summer tea and then double, used for the porch. (05/26/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I had this same problem. I put straight white vinegar with a little Dawn dish soap in it, in a spray bottle. Wash the urine off first and rinse. Then spray the whole area about every 2 days. Soak it and let it dry. They do not like vinegar, at all. It worked great. (05/27/2009)

By c t

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I wash the area with lemon scented Mr. Clean. Removes the smell, and seems to discourage the cats. They do not like citrus odors. (06/04/2009)

By louel53

Orange tabby kitten in grass and flowers
Repelling Neighborhood Cats
Cat Looking in Flap
Other Cats Using My Cat Flap
Raking Mulch
Best Mulch for Repelling Bugs
Mosquito on someone's skin.
Repelling Mosquitoes
Neighborhood Cat On Porch
Keeping Neighborhood Cats Off Porch
🎉
🎄