How to Prevent Neighborhood Cats From Peeing and Spraying on Doors

Category Cats
Even cat lovers are not happy when the neighborhood cats pee or spray on their entry doors. This is a guide about how to prevent neighborhood cats from peeing and spraying on doors.

There are 2 cats in particular. They urinate on my front and back doors. I have a big enclosure connected to my house as I am a responsible pet owner and don't wish to annoy neighbours.

I've read a few suggestions, one I was keen on was a cayenne pepper and water spray? I can't see a recipe. Any ideas would be great, also if anyone has tried lavender or other oils, I would love feedback.

Answers

Best Answer

You can also partially bury lemon slices or peels if you have any loose soil next to your door or leave the peels around on rocks.
You can call animal control, but they will likely not bother to come out for stray cats. They are more concerned about dogs. You may be able to borrow "catch and release" cat traps if you believe the cats are strays, but you run the risk of getting a skunk instead.

Best Answer

The actual cat spray is made with fresh Jalapenos, not Cayenne. If you bought fresh Cayennes you might get great results. Here's why. The dry Red Cayenne Powder lacks the essential oils, which is the main deterrent in the spray. So cutting thin slices of whole Jalapenos or Cayennes, seeds and ribs included, allows for the Capsicum Oil to be released into the water. The oil is the deterrent, the water is just a way to turn the oils into a spray to cover the entire area. By the way, you might contact your local animal shelter and ask if they participate in a TNR Program, which is Trap, Neuter, and Return. Those cats peeing on your doors are spraying, to mark their turf and to introduce themselves to a female cat. If there is a TNR policy in your area, it also puts the costs into the hands of the cat owners - if they want to get their cat back. They'll pay the shelter's fees and it'll give them some incentive ti either keep their cats indoors, or to just not own a cat anymore, and in my opinion, anyone who allows a virile cat to wander freely outdoors has no business "owning" a cat.

What can I do to prevent neighborhood cats from spraying on my screens and patio doors? I don't even have a cat! Every time I wash the windows (with vinegar or ammonia) they do it again. Please help.

Debbie from HB, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Okay, a cats urine has a high content ammonia based smell so when you wipe down the screen with vinegar/ammonia it thinks that another cat did it and wants to "one up" you and mark the territory for themselves. Wash it down with baking soda and dish soap real good.

To stop them I would put a large pan across the step of water if possible for awhile as they hate water and wont get to near it. Or if you are in a warm spot (i have snow) than a spray bootle of water at the ready to shoot at them through the open screen will stop them fast. Good luck. -Sam