Repelling Neighborhood Cats

Category Cats
Orange tabby kitten in grass and flowers
Neighborhood cats can quickly become a nuisance, when they decide that your yard and gardens are their personal toilet. This is a guide about repelling neighborhood cats.

Even cat lovers are not happy when the neighborhood cats pee or spray on their entry doors. This is a guide about how to prevent neighborhood cats from peeing and spraying on doors.

A cat walking on a brick wall in a backyard.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I keep cats from using our property as a kitty litter box? Thanks.

By Sue from Sanford, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Try sprinkling cayenne pepper along your fencing as well as the perimeter of your yard. Animals use their sense of smell to determine a spot to expel. The pepper will not hurt them but most surely won't be pleasant on their noses. This method also works for possums, and other pesky animals. Some white vinegar sprayed around your yard helps as well. You can try soaking some rags in vinegar and placing them around your yard as well as around some plants that may have critters nibbling at them. Just remember to soak the rags ever seven to ten days in order for it to work continuously. Hope these tips help. :)

Best Answer

One thing not to do is to scatter mothballs about That smell is far worse than the cat smell. And they are toxic, besides.

There are products you can buy with names like "Pet off" or whatnot that work. Go to your local hardware or WalMart. These are usually in the garden supply section.

I have a male neutered house cat. In the evening a female feral cat comes to the patio door and they converse. How can I keep her away, she is starting to stay longer and longer. Our cat does go outside under supervision so I need something that doesn't repel him.

By S B from CA

Anything that repels the female will also repel your male.

Talk to your local Humane Society or SPCA about trapping the cat so they can spay it and release it. This will keep her from having feral kittens that may be left on your doorstep.

Once released it is unlikely she will want to have anything to do with your property anymore. She will remember that is where she was trapped.

I have a lot of stray cats roaming my neighborhood, thanks to Hurricane Ike. The cats jump my fence and poop in my yard. The problem is that I have a young puppy that licks the cat's poo, gross. Is there a safe repellent that will repel the cats, but still allow my puppy to use the yard.

By Lisa from Missouri City, TX

Answers:

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

One thing that really disturbs me is the irresponsible pet owner who neglects to keep their pets inside their own perimeters. When I see roaming animals who could get hit by vehicles or into someone else's garbage stringing it about or yes, even fishing hooks within reach (that happened to a dog that was roaming or got lost from its owner). It halfway swallowed a three prong hook. It was gagging and having a hard time. When I noticed the problem it was having that's what I found lodged in its mouth near the back of the throat. It was such a nice dog, too.

If I were you, I'd call the local pet shelter and inquire about setting up a cage to catch the stray cats and let them deal with these uncared for cats. If people really care about their pets they wouldn't let them run freely or become disturbances to others. Not to mention you may have your pet seeing a vet for shots and excellent care, but you can't tell about other animals that are roaming about they could spread an illness to your own pets or attack them, too. What is so bad is your own pet is on its own premise when it happens.

Another idea is to run an ad about stray cats in your area or street and let them know your plan of action. That should cause pet owners to watch their pets better. (03/22/2010)

By Lorelei

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I don't know if you would like to take the time, but perhaps you could get your local council or animal shelter to leave humane cat traps for them. They could then be taken away to a shelter for re-homing or worst case scenario euthanized. (03/24/2010)

By Sharylesley

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

Anything citrus (peels, spray, oil, etc.) will definitely help repel cats. As for rats, they are attracted to the fruit of citrus trees in citrus tree groves, not peels randomly placed in your yard.

I am praying no one suggests mothballs because they can be deadly to pets, humans, and bad for our environment. (03/25/2010)

By Deeli

We have cats in my neighborhood and one (or more) of them have come up on my porch and peed on my door. I think they do it at night. It smells horrible. How can I keep cats off of my porch or away from my door, when I'm not there? How can I repel them? Its so gross.

By Bluesome from Tonawanda, NY

Answers:

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I find orange peels work just great. In gardens, on door steps, etc. (05/21/2009)

By kostalota

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

Heloise had the answer to that question this month in Good Housekeeping. She said wash the area well with soap and water. When dry, clean with an enzyme eating product (I've used Nature's Miracle). Then as often as you can (especially just before bed) spray the area with a citrus spray because cats don't like that smell. (05/21/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

We cleaned the area and sprayed vinegar and water mix there. It works really good for us. Not so well on a fence, but on a porch it worked. This also works around the windows and doors on the inside to keep out spiders and other bugs. The salad dressing smell goes away soon. More vinegar then water, 2 parts vinegar to 1 part water. (05/22/2009)

By Angela74

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

Citronella candles that you can get to repel bugs can be set out at night, unlit of course. You can also put out lemon peels. They are great for your summer tea and then double, used for the porch. (05/26/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I had this same problem. I put straight white vinegar with a little Dawn dish soap in it, in a spray bottle. Wash the urine off first and rinse. Then spray the whole area about every 2 days. Soak it and let it dry. They do not like vinegar, at all. It worked great. (05/27/2009)

By c t

Repelling Neighborhood Cats

I wash the area with lemon scented Mr. Clean. Removes the smell, and seems to discourage the cats. They do not like citrus odors. (06/04/2009)

By louel53