Restoring An Old Trunk

I am looking for tips/ideas on restoring the interior of a 100+ year old trunk that I got from my grandmother. It is the kind that ladies used to use to travel with, and my great-grandmother's sister used it to go to college.

The original paper on the inside was at some time covered very poorly with wallpaper (glued on). What would be the best way to remove this wallpaper without ripping off much more of the original interior?

Also, any ideas on removing the musty smell?

Restore Old Trunk

If you haven't given up yet or haven't already finished your trunk, following are some links which might help.

Tips & Tricks from The Trunk Shop

Perhaps you could get a copy of Antique Trunks, Refinish, Repair, Restore By Paul Pat Morse and Linda Edelstein from your library. Antique Trunks, Refinish, Repair, Restore is the definitive how-to book on refinishing any type of antique trunk. It includes over 140 well illustrated pages of tips and techniques put together by the master craftsmen of The Trunk Shop, based in New Hampshire. It includes sections on removing exterior and interior linings, wood and metal repair, safety, finishing, and painting.

And, if you need any parts for restoring your trunk, you might want to check out Van Dyke's Restorers. Van Dyke's Restorers

Have fun restoring your treasure,
Kathy (10/26/2004)

By FlaKathy

Restoring An Old Trunk

It's easy! You need two things to remove paper from your trunk, you can use a paint scraper or a putty knife and a spray bottle with water. First spray the inside and let the water dampen paper for a few minutes (3 min) or so, I like to start from the bottom and work my way up. Then you scrap the paper off ,it should come off easily, the only thing that you are going to see after you remove the paper is glue, you have to also spray a little more on the glue a again scrap off.

Try not to let the trunk stay wet for too long after you remove paper, because if you let the water dry in the trunk it could warp the wood. And it is difficult to straighten back. After you remove paper and glue,dry with a cloth the whole inside and try to vacuum with a wet and dry vacuum cleaner. Once the paper is off, the smell is also less. To remove mildew I use Murphy's oil. I get a coffee can and fill 1/8 of Murphy's oil in the can and then fill with water and then get a sponge and clean the inside. that gets rid off the smell and mildew. That's It (12/07/2005)

By Raul - Floral Park N.Y

Restoring an Old Trunk
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments
Old Steamer Trunk
Cleaning and Restoring an Old Trunk
painting furniture
Making Old Furniture Look New