Restoring a Steamer Trunk

Category Other
Many early immigrants moved their precious belongings in these big trunks. You can fix them up and use them in a variety of ways. This is a guide about restoring a steamer trunk.

How do I refurbish old steamer trunk?

By Susan from Modesto, CA

I would like tips on how to properly restore the inside of an old steamer trunk. The current paper inside smells musty and is coming off. Also, how do I accomplish this on a limited budget?

Melissa

Answers:

Restoring a Steamer Trunk

I did this project twice for extra storage that looks nice. It cost me about $6 total for the materials, plus the trunks. Those I got at a thrift shop for about $15 each.

First peel off all the old paper from the inside, then scrub with a mild bleach and water solution. Let dry really well in the sun if possible. Get a can of a spray primer like Kilz that will kill any remaining mildew and seal it. Then you could paint the inside, or I used a roll of clearance wallpaper from the Dollar Store to cover the inside.

You can clean and paint the outside too. I mixed just a little gold craft paint with some black, and blotted it onto the outside. This gave it a brownish leather look. Then I painted the metal hardware gold, and when it was dry, used black shoe polish to give it an "antique" look.

Have fun. (08/19/2005)

By Lynn

Restoring a Steamer Trunk

I cleaned out the inside of the trunk. I then lined it with ceder chipboard. I am making a crochet table cloth to store in it and giving it to my son as a wedding present. (09/07/2006)

By Debbie

RE: Restoring a Steamer Trunk