Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Reuse Plastic Containers for Seedlings

Many plastic containers work quite well for starting your seeds prior to spring planting. This is a guide about reuse plastic containers for seedlings.

Many food containers can be kept and reused as plant pot propagators and drip trays.

Mushroom punnets/baskets are useful, coffee cups, and fruit punnets too. If you find a fruit punnet with a clear plastic lid, all the better as the lid can help warm the soil, acting like a mini greenhouse or propagator.

Also keep your eye out for more unusual containers. This photo for instance shows a pyramid shaped container which once held a heap of profiteroles/cream puffs. It is going to be very useful in the spring for starting off new seeds

I do this too, Shirley. I start a lot of seed in my kitchen under lights mounted under the top cabinets. I can keep it neat, this way. For bottom heat, I use a heating pad with sheet plastic over it. If I had to rely on clay pots, I wouldn't even start seed indoors.

When I buy my chicken in bulk, they come in big plastic containers. The containers make perfect seedling trays for the green house and they're free. I also use all the plastic containers that tomatoes, plums, etc. come in.

By anniesplace from Blackpool, England

In These Guides
Recycled plastic containers for seedlings.
Recycled Seedling Container Ideas
Yellow Plastic Container on White Background
Uses for Plastic Packaging
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 15, 2017
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
Recycle Cardboard for Starting Seeds
Recycled Cardboard for Starting Seeds
finshed tp pots
Toilet Paper Tube Seedling Pots
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 29, 2017 at 8:01:29 PM on 10.0.0.56 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.