Reusing Leftover Soap Pieces

Can I melt small pieces of bath soap in microwave oven and make one big bar?

By Phyllis from Tulsa, OK

Answers:

Reusing Leftover Soap Pieces

You don't have to melt them in the microwave. Just put them all into a plastic container with a lid, and add hot water. The soap will soften all by itself. If you only add enough water to soften the soap, and not so much that you have a liquid soap, you can scoop some out, mold it into soap balls in your hands, and allow it to harden and dry. Then use it just as you would any other soap "bar".

I like to mold a ball around a good strong rope of braided yarn, and have a "soap on a rope" which
hangs from a hook on the washcloth bar in the shower. You can mold it into any shape you like. Balls are just nice to hold and use. Good soap retains its fragrance too, but if you like, you can add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to the container and stir it in before molding it.

We never, ever waste soap. Incidently, the "soaps on ropes" make great camping soap.

Hope this helps you.

(08/21/2010)

By PookaRina

Reusing Leftover Soap Pieces

Several years ago I found small drawstring net bags w/liners that were sold to use for soap pieces. My whole family loves them as they lather perfectly and are a great washcloth at the same time. I think I originally found them at Bed, Bath and Beyond and/or Dollar Tree. (08/23/2010)

By Kathryen

Reusing Leftover Soap Pieces

My father grew up in the depression, so I imagine that is where he learned it. I never questioned it, tiny, tiny soap pieces get stuck to the new bar when your in the bath/shower, handwashing, etc, and the new bar is nice and sudsy, just stick it on. You have to be careful with it for the first few uses, then it's fine. I didn't know we weren't the only ones to do it until I was much older and my roommate thought I was nuts. My parents were older when I was born, so most of my friends parents were born after the war and didn't know about rationing during the war and just plain having nothing before the war. Some of today's poor would have been considered rich during the depression. (09/05/2010)

By franstuff

slivers of soap in dish
Using Leftover Pieces of Soap
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄