Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Ribbon Craft Ideas

If you are looking for a new crafting medium, try ribbon. There are many decorative and useful projects you can make with various types of ribbon. This is a guide about ribbon craft ideas.

May 23, 2008 Flag

Approximate Time 30 minutes

• 1/2 yard of 3/4 - 1/2 inch wide elastic in a color of your choice
  • different styles of a yard or more length ribbbon in 1/2 inch and 1 inch widths
  • scissors
  • buttons (optional)
  • thread
  • sewing needle
  • measuring tape

Instructions:

I have tried three different styles of ribbon head bands. You will have to decide which one works best for you.

Simple Strap

1. Measure your ribbon a little over 1/2 a yard around your own head or head of the person you want it to fit so there is about 1 - 2 inch space between the two ends. Alternately you can actually measure the head with the measuring tape and use this as a guide to cut your ribbons.
  2. Ad

3. Cut ribbon to that size.
  4. Cut a wide piece of elastic just slightly longer than the 1-2 inch gap you measured between the ends of the ribbon on your head.
  5. Hem the two ends tightly over so it doesn't fray, attaching your piece of elastic to each hemmed side. You may either attach the elastic at the time of hemming or after.

Single Strap with Long Ends

1. Measure a 1 yard strip of ribbon similar to the single strap method, but do not cut it.
  2. Take a similar sized piece of wide elastic and attach it at the that point on the ribbon to both ends of ribbon leaving two long pieces to hang down. You may then hem the loose ends up slightly or leave them.

Loop and button

1. Measure slightly over a 1/2 yard of desired ribbon around head leaving 1-2 inch gap between ends at back of head (cut it to this size).
  2. Hem each end over slightly.
  3. Sew an attractive button to one end. Sew a 2 inch loop of thin elastic to the other side, creating an elastic button hole. Wrap around head and secure loop to button.

Voila!

By Mara from Seattle, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Very clear photos, thanks! Maybe a wider ribbon would have more friction? or a satin outside and a terrycloth inside?

Making a Ribbon Brooch

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a ribbon brooch. Use a pretty piece of ribbon and decorative button to make yourself a unique brooch.

Making a Ribbon Angel

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a ribbon angel. An inexpensive ornament to make that can decorate a Christmas tree or be a fun gift.

Ever purchase a puzzle you can't get to for a while? I did, and since the "Libra Lady's" birthday is coming up and I won't be here, I thought it would be nice to give her the front so she can enjoy it.

January 8, 2012 Flag

I am looking for some simple craft ideas for colorful Bedford bendable ribbon. I bought it at a garage sale so have no patterns or ideas.

I have 1/8, 1/4, 3/4, and 1 inch wide metallic bendable ribbon in red, white, pink, blue, and green. I want to use it for a craft project for my resident's in a nursing home. I need simple and easy ideas for a fun project. Can anyone help me?

By Karen K.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi. I bought a magazine from a garage sale with an idea using the bendable ribbon, but I'm having trouble finding the ribbon. One of the easy ideas is to take 18 inches of 1/4" red and 18 inches of 1/4" silver (or white) and wrap them diagonally around a pencil. Bend them into a candy cane shape, then use 9 inches of 1/4" green to make a bow and attach it.

Another idea is to make a wreath using a 24 inch piece of the 3/4" green ribbon. Wrap it around a pencil to make a spiral, then grab each end and turn one clockwise while turning the other counter-clockwise to make a larger spiral. Make a small cut 1/2way through each end, then interlock them to form a circle. Make a bow using the red ribbon and attach it to the wreath.

Both ideas look really easy and really cute to use as an ornament or just a decoration. Hope this helps and is easy to understand :)

July 8, 2005 Flag

I am making cards that have a ribbon on the side to attach the blank paper insert. The ribbon is tied and stays in place relatively well but I was thinking of putting hairspray over the ribbon to keep it firm. Has anyone got any advice or other suggestions. Taa.

Renee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd say if the ribbon is staying relatively well, leave it alone. If the card is just to look at (a letter or an announcement/invitation) it's not going to get lots of actual "use" where you'd want to reinforce it. I think the hairspray is unnecessary and will show.

iron ribbons between two sheets of wax paper; using a warm never HOT iron.

A reader not long ago suggested a web site that gave different "wordings" for invitations.Maybe it can be found in the archives.It also explained how to tie a ribbon on an invitation.Using a hole punch,make 2 holes less than 1/2" apart.Cut thr ribbon the length you want it. Thread your ribbon to the BACK through each hole.To make the left loop thread the RIGHT side of ribbon to the FRONT using the LEFT HOLE.Then take the ribbon you've threaded back to the FRONT using the RIGHT hole.This will make a loop on the left and an end on the right.Follow this same procedure RIGHT hole to LEFT HOLE.This makes a PERFECT BOW. I hope I have explained this well enough that you can understand my directions.If not hopefully they can dig up the old article.Don't do anything until you try this method.It looks really professional.

Spray starch may be an option also.

I'd suggest spray starch too.

Hello Renee, I own a scrapbooing store in South Florida and we are currently using alot of ribbon on our pages. We like the "X" from xyron, it can be found at many scrapbooking stores or at Michaels craft stores. It is very simple to use and you may find it is the best thing ever for making a sticker out of small things. Best of luck to you!

December 8, 2008 Flag

I am the program manager at an after-school program for girls ages 6-14, and we just received a big donation of assorted ribbon (different colors, widths, some are wired, etc.). I am looking for creative craft projects using ribbon. Any ideas? Thanks!

Lori

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A friend makes beautiful flower pins from wired (silk) ribbon. She forms a flower, hand-sews them into petals, and covers the raw edges with felt, then attaches a pin. For other ribbon, try weaving them into a square, line with fabric, and make into a pillow case. Grosgrain ribbons make cute hair bows, sewn or glued onto hair combs. Have fun!

I've seen wreaths made from ribbons. Buy an embroidery hoop or macrame ring and tie the ribbons around it. Trim the ribbons so they are the same length. Have one longer length of ribbon tied on, to use as a hanger.

A tree. Using a cone (Styrofoam or plastic or even recycled) just cut strips of varying sizes. Work from bottom to top.

Crafts MiscellaneousFebruary 6, 2013
Wire-Edged Ribbon Bow
Making a Wire-Edged Ribbon Bow
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
Making a Paper Clip Ribbon Ring
Ribbon Angel
Making a Ribbon Angel
Ribbon Brooch
Making a Ribbon Brooch
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 10:14:04 PM on 10.0.0.92 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.