Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Ribbon Craft Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
A Christmas tree made out of ribbon.

If you are looking for a new crafting medium, try ribbon. There are many decorative and useful projects you can make with various types of ribbon. This is a guide about ribbon craft ideas.

Solutions: Ribbon Craft Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Ribbon Headbands

Approximate Time 30 minutes

• 1/2 yard of 3/4 - 1/2 inch wide elastic in a color of your choice
  • different styles of a yard or more length ribbbon in 1/2 inch and 1 inch widths
  • scissors
  • buttons (optional)
  • thread
  • sewing needle
  • measuring tape

Instructions:

I have tried three different styles of ribbon head bands. You will have to decide which one works best for you.

Simple Strap

Green ribbon headband with elastic section.
  1. Measure your ribbon a little over 1/2 a yard around your own head or head of the person you want it to fit so there is about 1 - 2 inch space between the two ends. Alternately you can actually measure the head with the measuring tape and use this as a guide to cut your ribbons.
  2. Cut ribbon to that size.
  3. Cut a wide piece of elastic just slightly longer than the 1-2 inch gap you measured between the ends of the ribbon on your head.
  4. Hem the two ends tightly over so it doesn't fray, attaching your piece of elastic to each hemmed side. You may either attach the elastic at the time of hemming or after.

Single Strap with Long Ends

Long ends.

1. Measure a 1 yard strip of ribbon similar to the single strap method, but do not cut it.
  2. Take a similar sized piece of wide elastic and attach it at the that point on the ribbon to both ends of ribbon leaving two long pieces to hang down. You may then hem the loose ends up slightly or leave them.

Loop and button

Button and loop closure.
    Measure slightly over a 1/2 yard of desired ribbon around head leaving 1-2 inch gap between ends at back of head (cut it to this size).

1. Hem each end over slightly.
  2. Sew an attractive button to one end. Sew a 2 inch loop of thin elastic to the other side, creating an elastic button hole. Wrap around head and secure loop to button.

Voila!

By Mara from Seattle, WA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Ribbon Craft Ideas.

Question: Bendable Ribbon Crafts

I am looking for some simple craft ideas for colorful Bedford bendable ribbon. I bought it at a garage sale so have no patterns or ideas.

I have 1/8, 1/4, 3/4, and 1 inch wide metallic bendable ribbon in red, white, pink, blue, and green. I want to use it for a craft project for my resident's in a nursing home. I need simple and easy ideas for a fun project. Can anyone help me?

By Karen K.

Most Recent Answer

11/09/2012

Hi. I bought a magazine from a garage sale with an idea using the bendable ribbon, but I'm having trouble finding the ribbon. One of the easy ideas is to take 18 inches of 1/4" red and 18 inches of 1/4" silver (or white) and wrap them diagonally around a pencil. Bend them into a candy cane shape, then use 9 inches of 1/4" green to make a bow and attach it.

Another idea is to make a wreath using a 24 inch piece of the 3/4" green ribbon. Wrap it around a pencil to make a spiral, then grab each end and turn one clockwise while turning the other counter-clockwise to make a larger spiral. Make a small cut 1/2way through each end, then interlock them to form a circle. Make a bow using the red ribbon and attach it to the wreath.

Both ideas look really easy and really cute to use as an ornament or just a decoration. Hope this helps and is easy to understand :)

Question: Craft Ideas Using Ribbon

I am the program manager at an after-school program for girls ages 6-14, and we just received a big donation of assorted ribbon (different colors, widths, some are wired, etc.). I am looking for creative craft projects using ribbon. Any ideas? Thanks!

Lori

Most Recent Answer

By katluvsbears (Guest Post)12/14/2008

A tree. Using a cone (Styrofoam or plastic or even recycled) just cut strips of varying sizes. Work from bottom to top.

Question: Attaching Ribbons to Cards

I am making cards that have a ribbon on the side to attach the blank paper insert. The ribbon is tied and stays in place relatively well but I was thinking of putting hairspray over the ribbon to keep it firm. Has anyone got any advice or other suggestions. Taa.

Renee

Most Recent Answer

By Vivian Perez-Espinosa (Guest Post)09/21/2005

Hello Renee, I own a scrapbooing store in South Florida and we are currently using alot of ribbon on our pages. We like the "X" from xyron, it can be found at many scrapbooking stores or at Michaels craft stores. It is very simple to use and you may find it is the best thing ever for making a sticker out of small things. Best of luck to you!