Making a Ribbon Watch Strap

A fun alternative to leather or plastic watchbands is to make one from your favorite colored grosgrain ribbon. This guide offers suggestions for making a ribbon watch strap.

I am trying to make a grosgrain ribbon watch strap. I am interested in making holes in the ribbon for a watch buckle (like any standard leather watch band), but I'm not sure how to go about doing that without making the ribbon fray and separate. Any ideas?

By Ed from UK

Answers

Best Answer

Forget the buckle and making holes in the grosgrain - just use velcro instead. I've made several watchbands this way.

I use alot of groisgrain ribbon on the kids clothes I make & sell and for the ends to treat them I use Fray Check which is sold in any craft store (I get mine at walmart) it comes in a tube for about$2.00. It is a liquid glue, you have to run the tube under hot water for about 1-2 minutes then shake good then just drop some on your ribbon and let it dry.

After doing so you then cut or punch your ribbon and nothing will ever fray. It does make your ribbon appear a bit darker in that area but not much. I would use a nail or a nail punch to make my hole (after the fray check has been applied and dried).

Thank you so much! I'll try fraycheck out and see what happens.

You can also melt holes in the ribbon that self heal. Try using a hot metal skewer. make sure to wipe off the black scorch before putting it though the ribbin. Not sure about all the ribbon, some might leave black holes if the skewer is too hot.