AdviceCrafts

Making a Ribbon Watch Strap

I am trying to make a grosgrain ribbon watch strap. I am interested in making holes in the ribbon for a watch buckle (like any standard leather watch band), but I'm not sure how to go about doing that without making the ribbon fray and separate. Any ideas?

By GrosgrainHelp from UK

I use alot of groisgrain ribbon on the kids clothes I make & sell and for the ends to treat them I use Fray Check which is sold in any craft store (I get mine at walmart) it comes in a tube for about$2.00. It is a liquid glue, you have to run the tube under hot water for about 1-2 minutes then shake good then just drop some on your ribbon and let it dry. After doing so you then cut or punch your ribbon and nothing will ever fray. It does make your ribbon appear a bit darker in that area but not much. I would use a nail or a nail punch to make my hole (after the fray check has been applied and dried).

I was going to recommend Fray Check too.

Or here is a ribbon watch strap that they bonded 2 ribbons together with Heat n Bond which would keep it together I bet...but they used D rings and not a watch buckle.

http://www.jcar … Screen=WATCHBAND

http://www.drit … php?ITEM_NUM=674

Thank you so much! I'll try fraycheck out and see what happens.

You can also melt holes in the ribbon that self heal. Try using a hot metal skewer. make sure to wipe off the black scorch before putting it though the ribbin. Not sure about all the ribbon, some might leave black holes if the skewer is too hot.

Forget the buckle and making holes in the grosgrain - just use velcro instead. I've made several watchbands this way.

You can take the hot glue gun minus the glue sticks, and press on the spots you want to melt a hole.