Rinse Browned Ground Beef to Remove Excess Fat

To keep ground beef recipes from being so high in fat, I brown the ground beef, then rinse the beef in a strainer using the hottest water I can. This allows the fat on the ground beef to run down the drain!

My family cannot taste the difference!

By Gina from Kentucky

Answers:

Rinse Browned Ground Beef To Remove Excess Fat

Great idea! I'm going to try it! (02/02/2009)

By dawnrager

Great idea to remove as much fat as possible but here's how to dispose of grease properly and the reasons why:

This is a PDF file so if it's too small or too large to read when opened you can zoom in or zoom out ...

http://www.dwrcymru.com/English/library/publications/Stop%20and%20think%20not%20down%20the%20sink/english.pdf (02/02/2009)

By Deeli

I've been doing this forever and it works :) (02/02/2009)

By seeme

I would not pour grease down the drain as it can harden and then clog the pipes. I spoon out the grease out of the pan and then put it in a jar and it hardens and then I throw it in the trash that way. (02/02/2009)

By Robyn Fed

I do the same thing. I add a little water and freeze the cooked ground beef in a bag with no air. I do it in big batches. It is great to pull out a pound of precoked beef to start a meal. (02/02/2009)

By scott E.

Never put any type of grease or grease residue in your drain. As you know, it doesn't take much for that grease to solidify. It will coat the inside of your drain pipes and maybe even clog them up. Also, its not good for your septic tank or sewer connection. It's just not a good idea.

My family drains off grease and puts it into the garbage can. Thanks for sharing your good idea. (02/03/2009)

By Carol in PA

I have been doing this for years. Funny thing, I keep having drain 'issues' and clogs. The guy that works on it for me found out I was using hot water to make it go down the drain and he told me that really does not help it go down the drain at all. Long story short. It's not fun when it catches up with you and actually backs the grease up in your bath tub. Anyway, strain the grease... great idea! Just DO NOT RUN IT DOWN THE DRAIN. trust me! =o) (02/04/2009)

By Jenny