Removing Excess Fat From Soup

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts

CloseupWhenever we watch cooking shows, my husband sees those handy dandy fat separator tools and asks me if I want one. I'm perfectly happy with my way: put ice cubes in a ladle and skim across the fatty top of whatever you're separating. The cold will get the fat to congeal in the ladle. Just like a magnet!

8 More Solutions

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 418 Posts

Usually when I make chicken and dressing, I cook the chicken the night before and separate the broth from the chicken. The next day after refrigerating the broth, I'm able to skim off the fat off and discard it.

Removing Fat from Chicken Broth

I recently boiled a whole chicken to use later for chicken salad. I wanted to save some of the broth but did not want to fat/grease that I usually get in it.

To remove excess fat from home made vegetable beef soup (or other fatty soups) quickly dip, then remove, an ice cube or two into the soup (keep the ice cube at the surface, and do this quickly). Fat will stick to the ice cube.

Place a leaf of lettuce on the surface of soup to remove some of the fat. Discard the leaf before serving soup.

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts

When making any soup that has meat, I recommend you to cook the soup a night in advance for the day that you'd like to eat the soup on. That way the soup can refrigerate and the following day, you can skim/filter out all that fat! It'll be so much healthier.

A layer of fat on top of a refrigerated pot of soup.

To de-fat soup or broth cans, put them in refrigerator over night. Open with a can opener and remove fat collected on the lid, sides, and bottom of the can.

To skim off fat from Chicken Soup: 1. Refrigerate without lid overnight. 2. Once fat is settled to top, take a large piece of Saran Wrap and lay on top of fat.

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 114 Posts

If you cook soups, stews, or pot roasts that have fat in them, there are a few simple ways to get the fat out while leaving the flavor in.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SoupApril 26, 2013
🍀
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf557032.tip.html