Remedies For Burnt Soup

Category Soup
It's easy to lose track of your soup and return to find it stuck to bottom of the pot. But don't despair, check out this guide with remedies for burnt soup.

Soups and sauces containing cheese can easily scorch if not stirred constantly or if the burner is too high. This is a guide about removing the scorched taste from burnt cheese soup.

Cheese soup cooking in a pan.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I made a huge pot of vegetable soup and the bottom scorched. I removed the soup, cleaned the pot and put the soup back in, but it tastes like burnt soup. How do I get rid of that taste?

By April from Connersville, IN

Answers

Best Answer

I was making split pea soup. The flame must have been a bit too high and bottom of pot got scorched. Soup smelled and tasted burnt. I used the cinnamon solution and it took away the burnt smell and taste. You need to keep adding it until soup tastes normal. Thank you!

Anonymous
Best Answer

The vinegar and cinnamon totally saved my chicken and dumplings! Thank you so much ladies!! <3

Mandy Y

Best Answer

The cinnamon solution is to add in a tablespoon or so of cinnamon to your pot of soup. It will help to counteract the burnt flavor. Vinegar is also supposed to be good for masking the flavor. I would just add in a little bit, taste it and then continue adding until the soup doesn't taste so burned.

I made a huge pot of bean soup and burnt it. It has a horrible taste now. Is there any remedy? Thanks.

Debby from Maryland

Answers

Best Answer

If you know you have burnt it, without stirring (which will mix up the burned stuff) pour off the main part on the top. Just DON'T STIR...that will mix it! You should be able to at least salvage the part that is on the top.

Once all is mixed from stirring, however, there is not much that can be done.

As another poster said, I use a crock pot for that type of cooking!

I fell asleep, the barley cooked to the bottom of the pot and the soup tastes burnt. Is there a remedy for this?

Thanks.

Betty

Answers:

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

I used the remedy suggested for burnt spaghetti sauce; peanut butter, about 3 tsp. for a quart of soup. I did it with homemade chicken vegetable soup I accidentally had burned when re-heating. I poured off the top soup, stuck it in another pan, and used the peanut butter remedy. It surprisingly worked. I figured I had nothing to lose. My soup was thick though, not a real liquid based chicken soup. (10/13/2007)

By shannon

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

This just happened to me this evening with a big pot of Vegetable Beef Soup. I added 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and then 1/2 cup of sugar to balance out the tart taste. Surprisingly the burnt taste was gone, and I just started over adding the seasonings. It is now simmering away in the crock pot. (04/07/2008)

By Sherry

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

I scorched the bottom of a huge pot of chili. It's still edible, but does have that scorched taste/smell. I called a friend who has been a professional chef and he said to use a little cumin or cinnamon. I had cinnamon open, so sprinkled a little in there. Fantastic! It did away completely with the burnt taste and odor, but I didn't taste the cinnamon. He said that this works on most beef/pork dishes. (12/05/2008)

By JMC

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

Thank you so much. The cinnamon really really worked! I put a lot of time into some chicken and dumpling soup last night after making a whole fryer chicken for dinner. I went to heat it today for lunch, got on the phone, and forgot about it. It was tonight's dinner and I cannot afford to waste food. After the cinnamon I added a little garlic dill to balance, and it tastes even better! (12/08/2008)

By Jani-Bannani

Top Comment

Cooking a pot of Mung beans and lamb with Kale. I fell asleep, woke up to a kitchen of smoke. Quickly changed the pot and added new water. My beans still had the burnt smell and a light burnt taste.
I quickly googled and seen these post about cinnamon.
Thank you thank you it works and the cinnamon is not dominate to the dish..