Removing the Scorched Taste from Burnt Cheese Soup

Category Food Fixes
Cheese soup cooking in a pan.
Soups and sauces containing cheese can easily scorch if not stirred constantly or if the burner is too high. This is a guide about removing the scorched taste from burnt cheese soup.

How do I get rid of the scorched taste in my cheese soup?

indynan from Indianapolis

Best Answer

Cheese and milk burn quickly in a sauce pan. When making soup, take your time! If the heat does get the better of you, don't scrape the bottom of the pan, it will release the burnt stuff at the bottom and flavor the soup.

I suggest a good double boiler. I know they look daunting, but they are way easy to use and not just for soups.

Once something is scorched, it's pretty much impossible to remove the scorched or burnt taste. But, I've found one way to sort-of camouflage it. You need to add something that's supposed to have a smokey-burnt taste, & That's to add Ham, Bacon or any "smokey" type of Meat. Even beef jerky or smoked Salmon or smoked fish or turkey could work.

The down side is, if the scorched taste is really bad it won't help & you've then wasted your meat. I suggest taking just one cup or less of soup out of the pot then adding the meat to it then microwave it, then let it sit overnight so the meat's smokey flavor will be absorbed into the soup & if this works, then you can do this to the rest of the pot. The trick is to heat the soup up to just UNDER boiling (You don't want to scorch it again& make the problem worst!) then after it's hot, let it sit overnight or for a few hours & then the meat's smokey flavor will be absorbed into the rest of the soup. Also, I'd suggest a microwave over using a stove top. This will help avoid scorching of milk & cheese.

* If you're a vegetarian, (like I am) you may be able to use a smokey cheese, or the fake TVP bacon bits. Also, this trick won't actually remove the scorched taste, but sometimes it will make it more palatable (IF the scorching isn't very bad!)

To prevent problems cooking in a pan on the stove, I cook soups like that in the microwave. I use a big glass bowl and microwave for a little while, then stir, and repeat till the soup is done. I burned many things before I started using the micro.