Getting the Scorched Taste Out of Preserves?

Raspberry PreservesI scorched my apples for jelly; what can I do to get the burnt taste out?

By jo from Radford, VA

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 450 Feedbacks

Nothing dear. You must throw them out. We all burn something now and then. The sooner they are gone the sooner you will forget it.

Sadly the scorched taste will not come out. Throw it out, it can not be made to taste like anything else but the scorched taste it has now. We all burn something every once in a while and it hurts when a whole batch of something, that was hard work to start with, is ruined. Perhaps a lower heat such as a medium, and lots of stirring will save your next batch. Welcome to the 'been there, done that' cooks.

Don't throw them out! you can turn them into bbq sauce, hot sauce, base of a cake, add to cookie recipe, etc. I burned 11 lbs of peach preserves and made 1/3 into cinnamon peach preserves, another 1/3 into ginger-lemon peach preserves and the final third into bbq sauce.

The bbq sauce was the winner!

I did the same thing to my orange marmalade. I searched the net and found out i can add lemon juice. And it worked!!!

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

I was making pear preserves and I let them stick. Before I knew it they had scorched. I changed pans, but they taste a little scorched. How do you get the scorched taste out of pear preserves?

By Aurelia from Greenbrier, AR

Answers

I don't know of a way to fix the scorched taste, but I would suggest eating it with peanut butter to mask the taste.

I made ginger pear jam and it scorched. Adding cinnamon blended well to mask it that no one has noticed at all.

Made a small pot of Plum Sauce, unfortunately, I turned my back for less than a minute... Needless to say that was enough time for it to scorch (it was on a low heat)

I took the advice and tried cinnamon, tried the result on my wife as all I could taste was the scorch, her comment was if she really thinks about it can taste the scorch very slightly!
I am very happy with the outcome as it is to be the topping on a Cheesecake... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the suggestion!

Answer this Question

Is the solution for my scorched plum jam the same as I read about all other preserves, throw it out?

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

Use it to make barbecue sauce.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

If the burned flavor has infiltrated the entire batch, you will probably want to throw it out, which is quite sad. The burned part isn't dangerous, just tastes really unpleasant usually.

If the top does not taste burned, spoon out the a little at a time, tasting (with a clean spoon) with each layer and use it for a topping over pound cake or ice cream.

Hopefully it will taste OK until you get close to the bottom, then there may be very little waste.

Blessings! PS be sure to keep it refrigerated until you use it all. It should keep for a few days in the refrigerator.

Answer this Question

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesFebruary 7, 2014
🌻
🎂
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf54071977.tip.html