Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

I let my brother in law use my van and he bought shrimp. He put it in a cooler and the water spilled on my carpet now my van smells like rotten seafood. Can anyone help?

Crystal from Ohio

Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

I just got a recipe to get rid of skunk smell on a dog. I haven't tried it yet. But I would think skunk and fish smell fall in the same category:

• 1qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide formula(from pharmacy)
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 tsp.liquid soap(dawn dish soap)
Mix together and scrub the area. Hope it works for you (04/01/2006)

By Jan

Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

I'd recommend the unused coffee grounds also. The cheap kind is fine! (not instant). Sprinkle over everything & close the van tight. Many commercial businesses use this method. Or, the vinegar method of which the smell will not remain permanently. And a huge dose of patience to allow the products to "do their thing". (04/01/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

Try a product called "Nature's Miracle." Many pet owners know about this, it's a liquid made of enzymes that eat odor causing bacteria. You can get it at Petsmart or other pet stores. It really works, follow the instructions.

Some commercial carpet cleaning products really are good at removing stains and smells too.
You could call and ask someone who does the detailing-cleaning at a car rental place. They deal with really gross things all the time in rental returns. They may not help, but it never hurts to ask the experts, huh?
If all else fails, I think I'd replace the carpeting, making sure to clean the floorboards while the old carpeting is out. (05/02/2006)

By Catmaster

Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

Friend had same situation. Odorban available at Sams and Walmart will completely eliminate it. (05/03/2006)

By Dr Beth

Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

Saturate your carpets in "Massengill Disposable Douche with Extra Cleaning Vinegar". Then vacuum with an industrial unit. Sounds silly, but it really works. (07/10/2008)

By Slugo

Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

I had a small bag of salad shrimp fall out of the bag in the truck and I didn't see it. Well, 4 days later when I went to grab sunglasses out of car, (I have two cars so didn't drive everyday) the smell almost made me puke. I knew immediately I had to have left something. Found bag in trunk, thank god it didn't explode or spill.

So took rug out and did the coffee grounds but that did fairly well but not on the spot where the shrimp sat. Used steam cleaner with pet and order mixture, that did it.

As far as the car. I put 3 open bowls of cider vinegar (didn't have regular) in the truck and two floors up front for 3 days. That did it. Thank god! (07/20/2008)

By Carrie

Rotten Seafood Smell In Car

Some one on recommended wadding up newspapers in a refrigerator to get rid of fish smells.

I tried it and it worked. First I cleaned my fridge with everything I could think of, but it still smelled fishy. Then I used the newspaper trick and no more fishy smells.

Good luck! (09/08/2008)

By smoochie

Removing Rotten Seafood Odors From a  Car
Removing Rotten Seafood Odors From a Car
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
Bowl of seafood gumbo.
Seafood Gumbo Recipes
Seafood Casserole
Seafood Casserole Recipes