Safely Removing a Popcorn Ceiling

How do I determine whether asbestos is in my popcorn ceiling? We are planning to demo it and I want to be safe. I have heard that lab-testing is the only way to see if asbestos is present. I've also found online that since the asbestos ban, there have still been ceilings with it in it (I don't know how).

Does anyone have a specific tip on how to safely demolish popcorn ceiling yourself? And how to determine if it has asbestos? Is lab testing the only way?

By Erin813 from FL

Best Answer

I have "heard" that the times you have to be careful with it is when it is in dry form (like sanding it off). If you wet it, then it gets rid of the air-borne particles that you could inhale. I did my kitchen using a spray bottle and scraped it off but it would be best to ask at your home improvement store if this is correct. I probably read that somewhere and hope I remember right.

I don't think there is any asbestos in your ceiling. Pop corn is Plaster of Paris or joint compound. These products are made from Limestone or Gypsum. And applied with a sprayer type of machine that gives the pop corn look. I would try wetting with a spray bottle or sponge and scrape with a wide puty knife. I would also wear eye protection and a dust mask. You could also call a Plasterer and ask them for information. Plasterers are found in the yellow pages under Plasterers.

Thanks for all the feedback!! I know the internet and Lowe's Home store has further tips. Thanks!!

Removing a Popcorn Ceiling
Removing a Popcorn Ceiling
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJune 4, 2011
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Popcorn Ceiling
Repairing a Hole in a Popcorn Ceiling
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
A textured popcorn ceiling
Cleaning a Textured (Popcorn) Ceiling
🎉
🎄