Saving Money on Insurance

Category Saving Money
No matter what kind of insurance you need to purchase, there are ways to cut the cost. This guide is about saving money on insurance.

Most people are aware that you get a discount on your insurance if you bundle your vehicle insurance with your homeowner's or renter's insurance. But, many people are not aware that you can qualify for more than one discount for other reasons as well. Many companies also give discounts for:

We also recently got a "bonus" for referring another customer to our insurance agent.

By mom-from-missouri from NW, MO

Most insurance companies have something that could lower your premiums. I don't remember what it's called though. It is something they put in your car to, track your driving habits, and you can get a discount if you are a safe driver. It checks for things like how fast you drive, whether you drive after dark, how often you use your brakes, etc. But I'm also wondering if you are a bad driver if they would raise what you pay. :)

If you own a home or buying a home try to get your vehicle and home insurance with the same company and get a discounted rate for doing so. We not only checked with local agents, but also did online rate checks.

We have been a member of AARP since we were 50 years old and after reading yet another ad in the AARP magazine and getting the best quote online we decided to call them to see what the final rate would be. We found that we saved over $200.00 on the auto insurance and over $300.00 on the home insurance. The company is Hartford. We actually have better coverage for the vehicles and our home so we were pleased.

You don't have to be a member of AARP to be covered with Hartford, but it gives you additional discount for being a memeber plus other discounts. I guess it helped that we had good driving records and just minor accident in 25 year period. The quotes are free and you can find toll free numbers to call for it so if you are getting quotes get one from them. I had more problems getting to see our local agent than calling and talking to a rep of Hartford so don't be afraid to try this.

By Bev from Uvalde, TX

This is great advice. Use it and your bottom line will thank you.

Everyone knows that you should change the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year, at the Daylight Saving time change. It's also good to look for other changes to do as well, those that can "add change" to your bank account.

Remember to review your insurance coverages regularly. I put this off for a long time, because it confused me. But I made an appointment with our agent, and she was VERY helpful in finding ways to reduce our insurance bills.

My husband and I made some tough decisions, but we'll save some much-needed money this year. Make that appointment!

By zballoongirl

Our insurance company, State Farm, recently started having you come in and review all coverages. They have a specialist that does this ... also I think to try to get you to increase coverage and sell you other insurances.

I just noticed that the information on the house was incorrect by about 1536 SF ... they were showing 1680 three level ... it is four level ... no basement ... have a basement ...it is total of 32l6 sq. ft!

In the past, I quickly scaned the bill and paid.

My house has been paid off for quite some time ... in further reviewing noted that they were showing a mortgage holder ... people with same last name ... but not us! It was verified and taken off.

So review can be an eye opener.

One of our 2012 family goals was to re-evaluate our homeowners and automobile insurance to see if we could save a few bucks. WOW! This effort netted us nearly $2500 savings annually!

If it's been a while since you've reviewed your home and auto insurance, take look at your deductibles. Because if you've been with the company for a long time you might have deductibles that are lower than you actually need.

Check your credit before purchasing homeowners or auto insurance. Your credit it seems is an indicator of the risk you will be. It is less expensive to correct something inaccurate on your report before instead of after.

Buy insurance from a local agent because of the personal service. Do not just sign on the line for what ever they sell you. Do research. Ask questions and get an answer to your questions. Did you understand the answer? No? Ask again.

By Trigger