Saving Money on Milk

This is a guide about saving money on milk. Depending on your family's needs and your storage facilities, there are a variety of ways to save on milk purchases.

February 2, 2017 Flag

A bottle of fresh milk.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about stretching fresh milk. Sometimes, you have less milk left than you need for a specific recipe or purpose.

October 10, 2008 Flag

Tips for saving money on milk as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Organic Lasts Longer

If you don't use much milk, try paying extra for organic. The shelf life is incredibly long!

By Chris

Buy From The Source

For me here, we just go to the farm, and pull a five gallon pail out of the bulk tank. We pay the farmer once a year and just keep record of what we take.

It is MUCH better than any store milk. And if the dairy is clean, there is little or no danger of getting sick. Much less danger than getting powdered, watered down and tainted with Melamine.

By Damian

Buy Milk On Sale And Freeze

This money saving tip saves me so much money. My family doesn't like drinking powdered milk. So to save money. I have a big freezer and when milk is on sale. I buy a LOT. I pour a little off each gallon into the milk bottle in the fridge and then I freeze the rest. when the milk in the fridge is getting low I just go to the freezer and pull out what I need. It takes about 24 hours for it to thaw. I just set the bottles in the sink and when they are almost completely thawed I put them in the fridge. I am never out of milk this way. Try it, you'll save lots of money on milk.

By Suzanne

Freeze Portions In Freezer Bags

We rarely use milk, it usually goes sour so now I freeze 2 cups in freezer bags, so I have it when needed. The milk is fine, not watery at all and I buy the 2% in the least expensive brand.

By Minymont

More About Freezing In Jugs

I was raised on frozen milk. The plastic jug expands. You do not have to open it and pour any out. Just freeze it, set it in the sink until it starts to thaw. Be sure to shake well and don't drink until completely thawed. ENJOY!

By Pinkribbonfloris

Freeze Other Milk Products Too

I do the same with Fat Free Half and Half. I buy about 10 at a time from Target, who has it the cheapest, and freeze. It takes 48 hours to defrost in the fridge and then you have to shake it up but it is fine.

By DorothyNYC

Use Little Milk On Cereal

When you eat cereal, put less little milk in it! To make it wet, stir the cereal around to get it wet!

By Lilly - Paris, France

Buy Bulk Powdered Milk for Baking

I use dry non-fat powdered milk in my baking and cooking and save the expensive stuff for the family. I really have saved a lot since I have been able to buy the dry in bulk now.

By Toolgirl

Use Instant Milk For Cooking

Use instant milk for such things as scrambled eggs, casseroles, scalloped potatoes, white gravy, mashed potatoes and anything else which you need milk. Mix it up with a little water, stir and add it as you would store bought. It actually tastes better to us here because it can be made as strong or thick as you want or need it.

By Melody_yesterday

Make Soy Milk

You could try making soy milk. The machines are about $100.00, and sacks of soybeans are not too expensive. The machine does most of the work. You are left with fibrous stuff you can throw into your compost.

By Mulberry204

Powdered

When my children were small, I always froze the milk, and it was never watery later. I always cook with powdered milk and also pour a little hot water onto weetbix or breakfast cereal to soften it before adding milk. That way, I do not use as much milk. Over a year, that saves a surprising amount!

By Sohuru

Buy Bargain Milk

My picky husband won't drink milk once it's been frozen and rarely will drink powdered. We just tend to shop at places like Save-a-Lot and Wal-mart where milk is cheaper. He drinks so much anyway, it never spoils!

By JustPlainJo

Mix Whole Milk With Water

If you take one half gallon of whole milk and mix it with one half gallon of water, it will save money and taste like 2 percent milk. The difference is not recognizable.

By Lucyaaa

Do you have any more tips to share? Feel free to post them below.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Watering down milk is the worst. The others are not much better. Isn't there some other place you can save money and leave the milk alone? How about cutting out soft drinks entirely? And absolutely no smoking. And by the way there is no such thing as fat free half and half. They can call it that but half and half is half milk and half cream. It cannot be fat free. It is a synthetic product containing artificial ingredients.

Dairy Products on White Background
Saving Money on Dairy
Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenFebruary 5, 2017
Powdered Milk
Save Money Using Powdered Milk
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Cottage Cheese
Storing Cottage Cheese Upside Down
A bottle of fresh milk.
Stretching Fresh Milk
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 9:22:14 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.