Saving Money on a Perm

Doing a permanent at home can save you money or there are ways to create a temporary perm look. This guide is about saving money on a perm.

July 9, 2013 Flag

I permed my own hair and it came out PERFECT. I'm not even a professional hair dresser, but I'm actually better than some.

Successful Home Perm

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 19, 2006 Flag

Braid your wet hair in small sections (I do this before going to bed). When I wake up, I take down the braids and have an instant perm that lasts for days. But it will wash out when you shampoo again. Remember the thicker the braid, the longer it takes to dry. So use less hair in each braid. The braids don't hurt your head when sleeping like rollers do. Everyone thinks I just stepped out of the salon.

By Trisha from Alabama

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 18, 2007 Flag

What brand of home perm would be best for me? My hair is mostly gray, is fine and hard to curl. I wear it short. Also do you have any tips for cutting your own hair? Thanks

Grannie Mae from Western Arkansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just did my mom's hair....using an Oglive Home Perm. It turned out wonderful, pretty amazing as it was my first attempt to perm her hair.

I stopped perming and cutting my hair and now wear a bun or some such depending on mood but you can do your own cut and have it look nice too.

Take a piece of cardboard the length you want your hair to be (or little longer if hair is wet Remember wet hair shrinks as it dries) I used a playing card and folded it in half.

I usually folded the cardboard in half length wise so the hair could get between. Take small sections of hair. Using good sharp thin scissors cut at top of cardboard. You can make cardboard shorter as you get to the back and side if you want. save the length when you get the one you want.

Very simple and gets easier as you do it more.

I started doing this in self defense when we lived and traveled in our motorhome and got tired of the hunt for a hairdresser. Soon many of our traveling companions were asking me to do theirs - but I taught them to DIY!

Be sure to leave the rods in for the longest possible time.

I like the playing card idea. I tend to use my fingers as a guide to getting hair the length I want it. I run my hand through my hair and set the index finger up against my head. I usually cut to a three or four finger length. I use my thumb to hold the hair in place between my thumb and other fingers. It takes a little practice, but it works. Also cut in small snips, not one big cut at a time. Your cut will look better. Some beauticians cut in small snips at an angle.

Although my response is very long in coming, I recommend an acid perm, purchased from a beauty supply house. Redding perms are good, but there are several brands. Follow the directions and if your hair is thin, I'd try rinsing with vinegar and egg as a conditioner. Leave it in for about thirty minutes, then rinse, dry, and see if you like the texture. If not, try a beer rinse and dry. : )

Brand for grey hair to get a perm done at home

Blowed dry perm

June 29, 2013 Flag

How do I give myself a home perm?

By Jo

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To begin with besides buying the perm kit, you will have to buy special curler rods, yo will need at least two different sizes. I haven't done my own perms for about 30-40 years. Other than that you follow the directions in the box that the perm solutions come in. I might be wrong, but I don't think you will be real satisfied with the outcome.

When I did mine, it was back in the day where the women that wanted curly hair slept in curlers every night or ran around home with them in several hours of the day. This was after we home permed our hair, because using regular hair rollers on a daily basis made the permed hair look better. You might have better luck if you are real good at doing the rollers while you put the perm in but most women don't have real good luck with home perms.

September 11, 2010 Flag

What was the brand of the at home perm kit you liked the best? How much did it cost? What type of wave did you get? Did you love, like, or hate it? What type of hair do you have, thick or thin? What color is it and is it wavy or straight?

Also my hair is blonde (it's natural, not colored) thick and wavy underneath and straight on top. I don't want my blonde color to get stripped. Will a perm strip my natural hair color?
Thanks!

By Megan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A perm shouldn't strip the color of your hair. When I was really young I had home perms all the time, however that was in the fifties and early sixties. The brand that I like the best was Oglevie, and I can't remember the cost, other than it was the most expensive the the brands. The thing with home perms is that unless you get them rolled perfectly, you end up with hair that has to be set daily. Back when I was doing this I slept in rollers every night. That is the only way I could keep it looking decent. How long is your hair and when was the last time you had it cut? If it is long that might have something to do with the curl underneath and not on top.

Budget & Finance Saving MoneyJuly 30, 2013
Woman Getting a Perm With Curls in Hair
Remedies for Hair Damaged by Perm
Curlers in brunette hair for a perm.
How To Do A Perm At Home
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 2:22:12 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.