Fixing a Bad Perm

Category Styling
Close up of a woman getting perm.
If your perm does not take well, you can either go back to the stylist or try to fix it at home. This is a guide about fixing a bad perm.

I got a perm about a week ago. After a few hours the curls dropped. I went back the next day and she said I probably slept on it funny. She noted she used a waving solution to try keep my hair soft. And, I felt like she was rushing through the rollers.

I have had my hair permed before and usually get nice curls. My hair was always longer and more processed than it is now. Half of the hair is wavy some of it is curly and the curly parts are too tight. I showed her a picture and she said because my hair wasn't layered it would not look like that. So 3 days later I got a cut to make sure it wasn't heavy. And the curls still don't stay.

I called her to re-perm and she said I need a cut and it will be fine. She will book me and charge me for cut only. When I told her I got one already and I am scared my hair will burn she said I should wait longer. She said she could re-do only the back because that's the part where half the shaft isn't curled.
I told her 1 side of my head is wavy. The other side is kinda curly. The curls are too tight and the back is half wavy half straight. She apologized and said she was an expert and was not sure why this happened. I told her I didn't think it was enough solution and she said no. It's short hair there was enough.

I feel like she is giving me too many excuses. I want her to fix it, which she will for free, but I am questioning her competence.

Should I trust her to re-do it or fight her for a refund to get it done elsewhere? I hate waiting because I am a doctor and need to look processional. But, I also don't want to be bald.

Answers

Best Answer

I've been a hairdresser for 35 year. You need some deep conditioning treatments and then let your hair rest. Another perm right now is gonna make it worse and really dry.

I wanted body waves so I got a perm a week ago and she over processed it and it also did not come out how I wanted at all! It's a whole bunch of small waves all the starting at my crown. I wanted big body waves starting around my ears. So it's not even the body wave I asked for. Now, my hair has been very dry and frizzy and there is some breakage from where she over processed it. I have been moisturizing my hair all week with mayonnaise which has helped a lot. I have done a strand test to check to see how healthy it is from various parts of my head. All of the hairs did float so I think they are still OK. I would like to do an at home keratin treatment to calm the frizz and hopefully tame some of the curl. I went ahead and purchased One and Only Keratin treatment as it does not contain the formaldehyde. Will it be safe to go ahead and do this or should I wait a little longer?

By Amanda D.