Siberian Husky Breed Information and Photos

This intelligent breed is friendly and usually bonds more deeply with one person in the family. This guide is about Siberian husky breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Siberian Husky is a quick and athletic dog with a moderately compact build and a smooth, effortless gait. This intelligent breed is friendly and gentle and usually bonds more deeply with one person in the family. This breed is an independent thinker and can be a bit stubborn at a time. Still, if properly trained the Siberian Husky makes a great companion for the whole family and has a natural affinity for children.

Group: Working Group.

Purpose of Breed: Pulling sleds

Country of Origin: Siberia, Russia.

Average Size: Ranges from 20-23 1/2 inches tall and 35 to 60 pounds.

Color(s): Any color from black to pure white. Masks on the face are common.

Coat Type: A double coat consisting of a soft, dense downy undercoat and a dense, smooth and soft outer coat of medium length hair.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder and requires routine brushing-even more so when it fully sheds its coat (at least once per year). Standard care is required for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Siberian Huskies make good house dogs. A fenced yard and plenty of exercise are crucial for this energetic breed.

Temperament: The Siberian Husky is very friendly and gentle and although he will show affection to his entire family, he is really a one-man dog. Not naturally suspicious of strangers, the Siberian does not make a good watch dog. These dogs have a tendency to dig and an innate need to run and pull. They are not suitable for homes that want to retain perfect landscaping, and they need to be kept either confined or controlled at all times. This dog also has a strong predatory instinct and other small family pets may at times seem like prey. This dog has an excellent temperament and lives well as a pack dog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to epilepsy, hip dysplasia, obesity and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 11-13 years.

Trivia: In 1925 in the city of Nome, Alaska, dog teams of Siberian Huskies led heroic "serum runs" during an epidemic outbreak of Diphtheria.

More Information: Siberian Husky Club of America, Inc.

I just happened to stumble upon this post I wrote years ago (that I forgot I even wrote!). I thought to say that my pup went on to adulthood winning 2 interstate competitions and several local obedience and tricks competitions. I trained him solely with clicker training and the key to his success is CONSISTENCY. This means that when guests come to my house, they ask of him the same level of obedience that I ask of him. I now have a golden retriever too who also excels in tricks. They are both playful yet obedient children in our house.

Clicker training works; Train the owner and you will have a trained dog! Good luck!

My Husky is 5 months old so he is still in an awkward growing stage. His ears and snout are fully developed like an adult dog, but the rest of him is still growing. He has all Husky features such as pointy ears, blue almond-shaped eyes, big bushy tail, little husky-like paws, and he runs very fast and is light on his feet. He has a Husky mask pattern on his face, but the pattern on his body is blotched with black and white? I am very confused. I thought maybe he was just a piebald Husky, but lots of people are saying he's mixed? I'm not sure.

A purebred husky can be piebald. This doesn't prove that he is or isn't purebred. It is a possibility. You still shouldn't breed him if you don't know his genetic history.

Anonymous

Kind of reminds me of a german Shepherd or sheep dog mixed with husky

Does anyone here have a great experience with Siberian Huskies? I would really like to know a few personal experiences before I get her and-to tell you the truth!-I really don't know what to expect!

Casey from Salem, SC

Thanks everyone - so much! I love my new little Keira! She is so sweet and precious, but she has a slight mean streak but she is as smart as a whip! Last night was my first night with her and all she wanted to do was lay down with me. I thought it was all fine and dandy until she woke me up a little after 11:00 pm...2 am...and some time after 4 am this morn. She either wanted off the couch or she wanted on the couch. She found out how to get off her self but she is so little she can't get up by herself.

But as I was saying about her being so smart; we have four small dogs in the house...toy poodle mix, shitzu, and two pikaneeze, (sorry if none of those are spelled right)...anyway, she would waddle her little self over to the pad, and would go potty where the other dogs had gone. I was so glad that she would do that and not go everywhere and or anywhere besides that. But every time last night and this morn she would go where the others did. I was so relieved. Anyway she is six weeks old right now and also she was the runt of the litter. She was the only one that was the color of the silver that she was. The rest of her siblings were either white and black or just a cream color.

I love her and so does my boyfriend Josh. We are both the ones who will be taking good care of her. Thanks again to everyone that answered my little ordeal up there. It is all great advice. When I get my camera uploaded completely on to my computer I will post her picture! Thanks again and I hope you all have a great life with your Siberian as well!

I have a 1 year old Siberian Husky named Shiloh. She was my sister in laws dog then my sister in law moved and couldn't take Shiloh with her so me and my husband gladly took her. Funny thing is, I said I don't want a dog that sheds a lot. Well, now I vacuum everyday and the vacuum is full of hair when I'm done. But, I would not trade her for anything. She is my baby. We do not have kids yet so she is basically our daughter. She loves her walks and just sitting out on our back deck staring into the woods, waiting for a bunny or some kind of animal to come into our yard. She loves anything that moves, animals, bugs, leaves. She will chase leaves on a windy day and it's so cute to watch.

She does have a major digging problem that we plan on fixing with a shock collar. We have tried everything else and nothing works. She is so spoiled. She gets 3-4 walks a day and whenever she wants to play she will howl "talk" to us until we play. She is very smart and knows what we are saying but just sometimes doesn't want to listen. They say Huskys will only do something if they see a point to it. We have to put a leash on her when she goes in the backyard cause she wont come in and when we try to go bring her in she thinks its a game and runs (she is fast). So the leash gives us something to grab her by. I love her so much. She is my best friend. Huskies have a mind of their own so be prepared to be up for a challenge when trying to train them. They are smart but need to see a point to doing some hint. They shed a lot, definitely need lots of exercise and they are not dogs that just lay around so if your planning on getting one you cant be a couch potato. Huskies love being active and being part of the family. I heard a saying and its so true. "You don't own a husky you share your life with them." Its so true. They "talk" (wine, howl) when they want something and they are the friendliest most lovable dogs ever, except since they get so hot cause of all the fur when they get over a year old they do not like to cuddle cause they just get to hot. I will never own anything but a Siberian Husky.

If your thinking of getting a husky just remember they need lots of exercise and attention, they love to run so never ever walk them off a leash cause they will take off no matter how ell they are trained, they can jump high so you need at least a 5 foot fence, they love to dig and they have a very independent way of thinking but they are the greatest dogs in my mind,

I got my Siberian Husky about a month ago and he is doing really well for us. I got him for my bday and his name is Dexter, of course. I'm really wanting to know if he is 3 months old. Does anyone possibly know if so please tell me?

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Qadira is a 15 month old Siberian Husky. We got her from a breeder in Tennessee and had her sent down to Florida when she was just a few weeks old!

She loves having treats of course, running, and she especially loves to swim. She can swim for hours! Qadira has somewhat webbed paws so they are perfect not just for running in the snow, but it makes her a very strong swimmer. A regular fish!

A week after we welcomed her into the family, we noticed something was very wrong. We took her to the hospital and he told us she had Parvo virus. She was in the animal hospital for two weeks, and we visited everyday.

When we contacted the breeder, she told us that the other puppies she had were dying of Parvo as well. Apparently the vet who gave them the Parvo injections when they were born administered them incorrectly. Ninety-eight puppies died that month, but Qadira decided she was going to live, and she did!

By KatFish from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Qadira Siberian Husky

Comment Like this photo? 12

there is a girl in Ada, OK that was trying to sell me this same dog. I sent them a $50 deposit. so I sent it and out of curiosity I Google Image Check and here I see the same dog. If you would like to contact me, I am at kking74110 at yahoo.com

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Zoey is a 1 year old Siberian Husky. I adopted her 2 months ago. She loves playing in the snow, going to the dog park, going for walks, and sleeping. She is very scared of people, I think she may have been abused when she was younger. She is doing a lot better though. I try to bring her out as much as possible so she can get used to people. When she knows you are a nice person, she is the sweetest fluff ball!

By Samantha

Zoey (Siberian Husky)

Comment Like this photo? 15

She is a lovely girl. Your cat seems to like her very much. Pets are such a joy. I have q white husky and she is a sweetgirl. She loves the dog park. She goes every day and she knows when it's time to go.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Your Pet's Age
16 weeks

Your Pet's Breed
Husky

How and when did you get your pet?
We got him from of a friend on April 1st.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He loves to go out to play and run.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He loves to be very sneaky, he thinks he is, but we catch him. He is a very active, smart dog.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Oreo (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

This is Oreo, aka Cookie Monster, a 4 year old Siberian Husky. She's a rescue that was found running the streets at approximately 6 months old

closeup of Husky lying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

I got her when she was 3 months old. She likes to dig and splash in mud puddles.

Dakota and Willow

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Dakota was from a shelter and Willow was from a rescue. They like to run around the back yard at full tilt.

black and white photo of Jager

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I'd got my Husky June 2014 from my friend.

Monroe (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 8

Monroe is1 1/2 years old and a Siberian Husky. My daughter found a dog that was in need of a home. We brought Monroe into our family over a year ago. She enjoys retrieving toys and bringing them to us.

Dog with toy.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Rusty is our 1 year old Lab/Shepherd mix. We got our dog from the SPCA about 2 months ago. He loves to play and run and chew. He has a Mr.Bill doll (remember, from Saturday Night Live?)...

husky pup

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Keira is 6 1/2 weeks old and is a Miniature Siberian Husky. I got her as an early Christmas gift in late November.

Max (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Max is 2 months old and a Siberian Husky. We got him about a month ago at a local pet store.

Nanuk (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Nanuk is an 11 month old Siberian Husky. I got her on CraigsList People were moving and could not take her. Some people took her and brought her back. She was too much trouble. I took her the day after they brought her back. She does get into a lot of trouble.

Dakota (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Because I never really introduced Dakota, I decided I would today. Dakota is a purebred Siberian Husky that was born in Hawaii on November 22, 2006.

Dexter (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got him 1 month ago by making a 2 hour drive. He likes to cuddle, dive in the snow, and to run free with you, and a lot more.

April (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

April is a 4 year old Siberian Husky. My son bought her on Father's Day for my husband. We all fell in love at first sight! She loves taking walks, playing fetch with her ball and rubber bone, and absolutely loves blizzards and diving in the snow.

Ice (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is my 6 month old Siberian Husky puppy, Ice. We got her as a 6-week-old puppy-the mother dog had run out of milk when the puppies were only 4-weeks-old.

Jada (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Jada is a 5 month old Siberian Husky. I got her 3 months ago, from a breeder.