Siberian Husky Breed Information and Photos

Siberian Husky
This intelligent breed is friendly and usually bonds more deeply with one person in the family. This guide is about Siberian husky breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Siberian Husky is a quick and athletic dog with a moderately compact build and a smooth, effortless gait. This intelligent breed is friendly and gentle and usually bonds more deeply with one person in the family. This breed is an independent thinker and can be a bit stubborn at a time. Still, if properly trained the Siberian Husky makes a great companion for the whole family and has a natural affinity for children.

Group: Working Group.

Purpose of Breed: Pulling sleds

Country of Origin: Siberia, Russia.

Average Size: Ranges from 20-23 1/2 inches tall and 35 to 60 pounds.

Color(s): Any color from black to pure white. Masks on the face are common.

Coat Type: A double coat consisting of a soft, dense downy undercoat and a dense, smooth and soft outer coat of medium length hair.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder and requires routine brushing-even more so when it fully sheds its coat (at least once per year). Standard care is required for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Siberian Huskies make good house dogs. A fenced yard and plenty of exercise are crucial for this energetic breed.

Temperament: The Siberian Husky is very friendly and gentle and although he will show affection to his entire family, he is really a one-man dog. Not naturally suspicious of strangers, the Siberian does not make a good watch dog. These dogs have a tendency to dig and an innate need to run and pull. They are not suitable for homes that want to retain perfect landscaping, and they need to be kept either confined or controlled at all times. This dog also has a strong predatory instinct and other small family pets may at times seem like prey. This dog has an excellent temperament and lives well as a pack dog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to epilepsy, hip dysplasia, obesity and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 11-13 years.

Trivia: In 1925 in the city of Nome, Alaska, dog teams of Siberian Huskies led heroic "serum runs" during an epidemic outbreak of Diphtheria.

More Information: Siberian Husky Club of America, Inc.

Anonymous

My husband and I once owned a female Sibe. We purchased her from a breeder in Savannah, Georgia and named her Savannah. Although she had a good temperament, she must have been dropped on her head when she was born. She was absolutely the dumbest dog I have ever owned in my life! I worked with her every day but all I ever got was a sit. She wouldn't even respond to her own name.

We nicknamed her 'catdog' because she was just like a cat. Very aloof and independant of everything and everyone. Even as an adult dog, she had an insatiable desire to chew everything. She was crate trained but when she was in the house with us, she would sneak into the kitchen quietly like a cat and she chewed the drywall off of the kitchen walls. It wasn't because of a poor diet or lack of chew toys. I blame it on the lack of exercise that is required for these dogs. I walked her every day for about 45 min to an hour but being a sled dog, she needed to run and run and run. I finally had to find her a new home on a farm where she had a lot of freedom.

If anyone is considering aquiring this breed, PLEASE do your homework!!! If you can't exercise this dog the way it needs to be exercised, you are in for a lot of frustration and heartache when you have to give the dog up. This is NOT a lap dog, it is NOT a lazy dog and it WILL find ways to release pent-up energy.

Thousands of dollars later, we found that out AND we had to give up a dog that we loved and raised from a puppy.

I have a husky and he is independent and stubborn, but he has no problems. He is a little older, about to be 4 years, and he has learned a few things. Everything improved last year when we got another dog for him to play with. Before this he was a chewer of walls as well! But the other dog has improved him completely. I wouldn't trade him for any other breed and plan on getting another one later on. I love the breed. He is devoted to me like it says and that he isn't a guard dog. But nonetheless we love him. I would recommend him to pretty much anyone!

I have a Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix. Her name is Kita. She just turned a year old on May 21st. She is the most beautiful dog, but from day one she has been a bad digger. She doesn't just dig a little bit, if you saw our yard, you would think that a land mine went off!! To stop this we got her like a plastic swimming pool that I filled up with dirt. Well, this was okay for awhile. We could not get her tp stop after that. As it turns out, because it was summertime, she just got so hot with all that thick hair of hers that she was just trying to cool down. I decided to put water and ice cubes in that plastic pool and since I have done that, she has not dug ONCE since!!! So if you happen to have a diggin problem with your dog in the summer...this is a great experiment to try!

I have to concur with the breed needs exercise. I have always had german shepherds and went through a divorce and lost both of my shepherd girls, so I adopted a chephered/husky mix...and to top it off he is male...what a difference. He is headstong, dominant, and well just devious. It is funny that you say your s was not smart...this dog is too smart for his own good....opening doors, letting himself out, getting the paper etc....But his energy causes him to eat shoes, carpet etc...Please do the homework on the breed before taking on anything with a hint of husky!!! But, god they are beautiful!!!

i have a husky and he is very independent and extremely stubborn! he only does tricks if im holding food! And i agree with ildyharley, you must do ur research on huskies before getting one! there was soo much for me to learn about huskies i held off getting one for 9 months! i love my husky hes very very social and isnt that dominant around other dogs unless food is in the situation. anyways, great information, i cant see one flaw in it!

i have a german shepherd/siberian husky named grizzly. he is about 3 months old and 30 pounds. his mom was german shepherd, and dad was siberian husky. does anyone know if he will have more german shepherd personality, or a husky personality. it seems like german shepherds and huskys have the most opposite personalities. lol email me at xx_pretzel_xx AT hotmail.com

I want a Siberian Husky..

they look so cool!

I had a malamute growing up with much the same issues. I put a harness on her with a log tied onto it and let her drag it around the yard. She would BEG for me to harness her to that log so she could run with it.

I have a 12 year old husky, and shes beginning to get sick in her old age. She'll be 13 in November. She can't control her bladder anymore, anyone have any input on what it could be? My email address is katie_struc AT hotmail.com Feel free to get back to me if you have any information.

I have a Siberian husky puppy that just turn six months and I wanted to know if he was normal size. I recently saw another lady with a Siberian husky the same age as mine and my dog was twice the size of her dog. He's already bigger than my medium sized dog.

ESTE EN MI AMIGO HERMOZO..

I have a Siberian husky/German shepherd mix. Her mother was a husky and her father was a German shepherd. She is the most gentle dog and absolutely ADORES children! She does need a lot of exercise, but we solve that problem by taking her to a large field with a stream, forest, and lots of space and then just let her run for as long as she wants. It normally takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours but she always comes back. Also, she is an amazing jumper, and routinely hops our 8ft fence if she feels like running around! She's very affectionate and gets along great with other dogs and all sorts of people! I definitely recommend this breed!

Does anyone here have a great experience with Siberian Huskies? I would really like to know a few personal experiences before I get her and-to tell you the truth!-I really don't know what to expect!

Casey from Salem, SC

We owned a husky for 14 years, great dog. They don't bark like a regular dog they yip. Make sure you take her for walks. They need lot of walks. They will take off and run like crazy, if they get out by mistake. They are gentle with babies and kids.

We owned several cats and she was fine with them, and the other dog we still have. Bad points... they shed in chunks,2x's a year she shed . she looked like she was moulting like a moose. They need lots of brushing. i hear males only shed once a year, but she was a sweet girl. We always had chunks of fur on the rug. really bad shedding.

We had to put her down because she had arthritis in the hip and was having trouble getting up. A friend of mine had a Samoyed husky and it too had arthritis. I hear they are prone to it. Loves, loves, loves cold cold weather, and loved to run in snow. Thought of hooking up sled to her. She pulled my son on sled many a time. He would walk her with his bike and she would pull him around the block. He was a chunky kid and she pulled him with ease. Good dog miss her. Good luck with your girl.

I have had two female Siberian Huskies and I love them. We live in the country and they will roam if they are loose. One would go a mile away and stay on a man's porch until we drove over to get her. They both had a great temperament. Always be kind to them. Both were very possessive about their food. They don't share.

I would not get them spayed too early. Better to wait after one heat or one batch of pups.

My Husky is 5 months old so he is still in an awkward growing stage. His ears and snout are fully developed like an adult dog, but the rest of him is still growing. He has all Husky features such as pointy ears, blue almond-shaped eyes, big bushy tail, little husky-like paws, and he runs very fast and is light on his feet. He has a Husky mask pattern on his face, but the pattern on his body is blotched with black and white? I am very confused. I thought maybe he was just a piebald Husky, but lots of people are saying he's mixed? I'm not sure.

I got my Siberian Husky about a month ago and he is doing really well for us. I got him for my bday and his name is Dexter, of course. I'm really wanting to know if he is 3 months old. Does anyone possibly know if so please tell me?

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Qadira is a 15 month old Siberian Husky. We got her from a breeder in Tennessee and had her sent down to Florida when she was just a few weeks old!

She loves having treats of course, running, and she especially loves to swim. She can swim for hours! Qadira has somewhat webbed paws so they are perfect not just for running in the snow, but it makes her a very strong swimmer. A regular fish!

A week after we welcomed her into the family, we noticed something was very wrong. We took her to the hospital and he told us she had Parvo virus. She was in the animal hospital for two weeks, and we visited everyday.

When we contacted the breeder, she told us that the other puppies she had were dying of Parvo as well. Apparently the vet who gave them the Parvo injections when they were born administered them incorrectly. Ninety-eight puppies died that month, but Qadira decided she was going to live, and she did!

By KatFish from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Qadira Siberian Husky

Comment Like this photo? 12

Zoey is a 1 year old Siberian Husky. I adopted her 2 months ago. She loves playing in the snow, going to the dog park, going for walks, and sleeping. She is very scared of people, I think she may have been abused when she was younger. She is doing a lot better though. I try to bring her out as much as possible so she can get used to people. When she knows you are a nice person, she is the sweetest fluff ball!

By Samantha

Zoey (Siberian Husky)

Comment Like this photo? 15

This is Oreo, aka Cookie Monster, a 4 year old Siberian Husky. She's a rescue that was found running the streets at approximately 6 months old

She likes to play with a tennis ball and juggle between her paws and mouth. She is a nut, you never know what she will do to make you laugh.

I never expected her to be so good with my 3 month old grandson. But she is so gentle with him, it's sweet. Here I put antler ears on her and she could have cared less. But boy was she cute!

By Julie from Brockton, MA

Oreo (Siberian Husky)

Comment Like this photo? 7

Monroe is 1 1/2 years old and a Siberian Husky. My daughter found a dog that was in need of a home. We brought Monroe into our family over a year ago. She enjoys retrieving toys and bringing them to us. She loves to go on walks and enjoys the company of other dogs. I wrote a poem about Monroe:

Ms. Monroe
Peculiar Ms. Monroe!!
Beautiful, mysterious
Blue eyed husky
Wants to play and then runs away
Conversant howls
Determined to get her way.
Ms. Monroe, what are you thinking?
Always in deep contemplation.
Ms. Monroe you brighten my world!!!

By Cathy from CA

Monroe (Siberian Husky)

Comment Like this photo? 8

Your Pet's Age
16 weeks

Your Pet's Breed
Husky

How and when did you get your pet?
We got him from of a friend on April 1st.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He loves to go out to play and run.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He loves to be very sneaky, he thinks he is, but we catch him. He is a very active, smart dog.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Keira is 6 1/2 weeks old and is a Miniature Siberian Husky. I got her as an early Christmas gift in late November.

husky pup

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Rusty is our 1 year old Lab/Shepherd mix. We got our dog from the SPCA about 2 months ago. He loves to play and run and chew. He has a Mr.Bill doll (remember, from Saturday Night Live?)...

Dog with toy.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

I got her when she was 3 months old. She likes to dig and splash in mud puddles.

closeup of Husky lying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Max is 2 months old and a Siberian Husky. We got him about a month ago at a local pet store.

Max (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Nanuk is an 11 month old Siberian Husky. I got her on CraigsList People were moving and could not take her. Some people took her and brought her back. She was too much trouble. I took her the day after they brought her back. She does get into a lot of trouble.

Nanuk (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Because I never really introduced Dakota, I decided I would today. Dakota is a purebred Siberian Husky that was born in Hawaii on November 22, 2006.

Dakota (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Dakota was from a shelter and Willow was from a rescue. They like to run around the back yard at full tilt.

Dakota and Willow

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

I'd got my Husky June 2014 from my friend.

black and white photo of Jager

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

April is a 4 year old Siberian Husky. My son bought her on Father's Day for my husband. We all fell in love at first sight! She loves taking walks, playing fetch with her ball and rubber bone, and absolutely loves blizzards and diving in the snow.

April (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is my 6 month old Siberian Husky puppy, Ice. We got her as a 6-week-old puppy-the mother dog had run out of milk when the puppies were only 4-weeks-old.

Ice (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Jada is a 5 month old Siberian Husky. I got her 3 months ago, from a breeder.

Jada (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got him 1 month ago by making a 2 hour drive. He likes to cuddle, dive in the snow, and to run free with you, and a lot more.

Dexter (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes