Siberian Husky - German Shepherd Mix Info and Photos

Some of the best family pets are mixed dog breeds. This guide is about Siberian Husky - German Shepherd mix info and photos.

Caesar (Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mix)
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 17, 2005 Flag

What is the best environment for Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Dog Mixes? Here is advice from the ThriftyFun community.

Answers:

Desert Is Not The Best Climate For These Dogs

We live in the desert and had Siberian Husky & Black Lab mix. He was always so hot. He'd dig in the dirt to try to get cool. While he hated water, when he'd get really, really hot, he'd go stand in his huge water bucket we had, not lie down, but just stand in it. His digging in the soil was what ended his life as he contracted "Valley Fever", a respiratory disease. We had to put him down, almost 5 years ago, now. While he was a lot of joy to us, I'd not get that breed of dog again, while living here in the desert, I would if we lived in a cooler climate.

By badwater

High Energy Dogs

Huskies are very high energy dogs so if you're not a jogger or plan to do agility, anything to keep them constantly busy, I'd go with a different dog. Shepherds are very intelligent and need brain stimulation too. If you're laid back go with a Golden Retriever mix. They are very happy just hanging around. Of course that's depending on what they're mixed with. You can tell their disposition by interacting with them. And a shelter is full of great dogs just waiting for you!

By Vicki

Lots Of Play Time

Hello, we own the same breed of dog and I agree that they need lots of play time and are very smart.

By Leaky

Lots Of Room

As far as the best environment goes, I would have to say that you definitely need a fairly large, fenced in yard at the very least. We have an acre lot fenced in and Jackson seems to love it. He is able to really get up a lot of speed as he runs laps when he is playing with us. Also, Jackson loves to dig, but it's been a year now and he doesn't seem interested in digging to get out of the fence. He just digs for the sheer enjoyment of digging. I am constantly filling in holes that he may dig anywhere in the yard. He also really loves going to the local dog park and running with the other dogs there. This type of environment seems to keep him happy as we do not have the time or stamina to take him for long walks or exercise runs.

By JacksonBrowne

Good With Kids

I have a 6 month old Husky/Shepard mix and she is 50 lbs. She is very energetic and lovable, she needs lot of attention stimulation and running room:) Plus she is a wonderful dog for my 2 year old son and she is very loving and protective of him (07/13/2005)

By kim

Advice From An Owner

I rescued a dog that I am told is German Shepherd and Husky. I typed German Shepherd/Husky mix into the search bar and was happily surprised that such a site existed. My dog is guessed to be 2 yrs old and she ways 65 pounds. Her coat is fluffy and very soft and her personality is sweet and playful. She is also a bit wild and hyper.

We live in the valley, too. Everything we have read has told us not to shave long haired breeds in the summer, so we haven't. She has a doggie door and comes in whenever she wants and always has fresh water available. Valley fever is a threat here to pets and humans, but it can be successfully treated with anti-fungal medication. I am sorry to hear about the dog above who got ill.

By Kim

Memories Of Lucy

I live in the Kansas City area. I've had dogs all my life of various mixes. Our last dog, Lucy, who we lost to stomach cancer, was absolutely the most loving, intelligent, and loyal dog we have ever owned. She was a German Shepherd/Husky mix. She was overweight at about 65 to 70 lbs. Size can vary and depends on many, many factors, the first being gender of course.

Our veterinarian told us when we bought Lucy that this mix is extremely intelligent and he was right. They can just about learn anything very quickly. I'd almost bet you could teach one to drive a car!

By KCKID

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 28, 2013 Flag
Malakai (German Shepherd/Siberian Husky)

How and when did you get your pet?
Malakai is 16 weeks old/German Shepherd and Siberian Husky puppy. We got him from a private owner/breeder in Salem Oregon in July.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He is an absolute smart dog and very active. His favorite activities are walking/running the beach where we live and playing in the sand.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
His two different colored eyes make Malakai very unique. We are very happy we found this little guy. He is a joy to our family. Already Malakai has shown a lot of respect and faithfulness to my family. What a terrific pup he is!

September 1, 2009 Flag

Bella 2 1/2 months old and a Husky/German Shepherd. I got Bella from a friend, who was rescued from abusers. While in the womb, abusers kicked mommy puppy. She lost many puppies. When born, they kicked her to. My friend saved the mom and puppies, and found homes. I finally got Bella around 2 months old, learning she has a hernia because of the abuse. It doesn't hurt her, thank God.

Bella loves to search and find things as well as playing with her bear. She loves to chase things and is not scared of a little dirty water. Bella loves to be outside. She loves the cats. She also love to swim. After a long day of having fun, she loves to enjoy a belly rub and a little relaxation music by Lifehouse. Any other music artist, she'll run away to sleep under my bed. While we are half asleep on my bed, we tend to share some "bacon" together.She also loves to sleep with her bear. Pics are in my profile. (she gets little pieces of bacon bacon, the doggie snack. and I get real bacon). She is 2 1/2months old and knows how to sit, give paw, stay and come. She is potty trained. She is very, very smart

By AlexisVH39 from East Mckeesport,PA

January 21, 2016 Flag
Bo (German Shepherd/Husky)

Your Pet's Age
6

Your Pet's Breed
German Shepherd and Husky

How and when did you get your pet?
When he was a puppy someone left him in the park and I brought him home.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He likes to jog, eat, and lay around.

He's more of my best friend then a pet.

May 19, 2009 Flag

Gemma is a 10 month Siberian Husky/ German Shepherd mix. We bought her from an ad in the paper at 6 weeks old. We wanted a shepherd cross and thought it was an interesting mix.

Gemma (Siberian Husky and Shepherd Mix)

June 4, 2013 Flag

This is Petunia :) she is our red and black German ShepherdXHusky.

Dog lying near fence.

January 25, 2016 Flag

Our dear friend had one pup left and offered him to us to adopt. Sampson loves to sit on the steps leading up to our patio and oversee everything that goes on. He also sleeps on the foot of my daughter's bed at night. He likes to run laps around our front yard with our other dog, Bruno.

Sampson 2 (Husky/German Shepherd Mix)

November 28, 2015 Flag

Thor was found underweight, covered in mud, and wandering lost through a neighboring county. He was brought to the Charlottesville, Virginia SPCA, where my family adopted him January 1, 2015.

Thor in car

February 4, 2007 Flag

Ruby Ramona is our 9 month old German Shepherd x Siberian Husky mix. I bought Ruby 2 months after my beautiful boy Ace passed away. She was to keep our 13 year old Kelpie, Josie, company who sadly died when Ruby was 7 months old.

German Shepherd and Siberian Husky

August 24, 2006 Flag

Brutus Photo. Brutus is my 1 1/2 year old German Shepherd/Siberian Husky Mix.

Brutus (German Shepherd and Siberian Husky Mix)

December 17, 2015 Flag

I have a German Shepherd/Husky mix. She is approximately 12 months old, her body is very long and when she sits she seems to shift her weight to the side so her front paws touch the floor. When will her frame be full size as now her front and back legs are the same length and this isn't normal?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

At twelve months your large breed dog will appear thin and gangly. The nutrition in her food is going to her rapid frame development.

Shepherds are not mature until the age of two or three depending on bloodline. Huskies are not mature until two.

Huskies hit a major growth spurt at around 15 to 18 months.

Most large breeds will "fill out" between two and three years of age.

October 8, 2013 Flag

I Have a three month old German Shepherd/Siberian Husky. He is a male. I got him off a friend who couldn't keep him because he was moving. I'd like to learn more about his breed. I've learned he is very playful and energetic. But that's just about all I know.

By Annie Lin

What a great mix of canine intelligence. Just remember that all northern breed dogs are not your usual pet animals. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

January 15, 2010 Flag

Luna is a 4 month Husky mix, either Shepherd or Sharpei. I adopted her as a stray from the animal shelter after she was found as a stray. She likes to nap in her crate, lick you, play with kids, lick you, go for walks, lick you, and most of all, she likes to lick you.

Luna (Husky - Shepard)

November 20, 2008 Flag

Dutchess is 3 1/2 years old and a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky Mix. I got her at an animal shelter in Orlando, Fl

Dutchess (German Shepard and Siberian Husky Mix)

January 2, 2010 Flag

I need to know how much it can cost to buy a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix?

By Jose from 92570

I paid nothing for mine, but have spent about a grand on his care in the last month!

Read More Answers...

December 7, 2014 Flag

Would anyone recommend the German Shepherd/Husky mix as a service dog? I am getting information so I can decide what type of dog to get my mother. The dog has to be patient and strong since it will be needed for strength. My mother has balance issues so having a dog that is strong so it can help her get up is a big plus. Also, the dog has to be good with cats. She has 2 who are not very young. One is 4 yrs and the other is 9 yrs. Plus, I live there with my daughter who is 12. The dog has to realize that she is to be my mother's companion and strength when I am not there.

By Tammie H.

A service dog is carefully chosen as a puppy and then receives extensive training (many months) by professional trainers. To expect a dog you buy, no matter what the breed, to perform these tasks will lead to a lot of disappointment. Many breeds become service dogs, but as I said, they are carefully chosen based on their temperament. An untrained dog cannot do what you are expecting of it.

Read More Answers...

April 26, 2010 Flag

Sabber is a 1 year and 3 month old German Shepard/Husky. I found a ad on Craigs list while I was visiting friends in Tennessee. They had German Shepard/Husky pups listed and I couldn't resist. She was the last puppy with one blue eye.

July 19, 2010 Flag

Caesar is an 8 year old Siberian Husky mixed with a German Shepherd. I adopted him from the SPCA. He was from a neglectful home. He likes to run around and play with his squeaky toys and bring joy to my life like nothing else can.

September 4, 2008 Flag

Dakota is 14 months old and a Husky/Shepherd mix. I got him from a swap shop radio 14 months ago.

white husky shepherd

December 29, 2013 Flag

He was an accident (not bred through any kind of a breeder). The people we got him from just wanted the puppies to get a good home.

German Shepherd sitting outside.

September 26, 2013 Flag

Is the German Shepherd Husky mix good with kids and other dogs?

By Robert from Damascus, GA

Hi,

We had one when I was a teenager - he was all around great! - very smart, loyal, protective - the best!

It really depends on how a dog is raised, socialized early on, allowed to hang out with other dogs, people, cats, etc.

If you treat him like family, he will love you like family. Every dog is different, but they all start out as good - the rest is up to you : )

Load More
    Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Siberian HuskyAugust 10, 2012
    Chex Mix
    Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
    Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
    Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
    A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
    Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
    Skinny German Shepherd Laying Down
    Skinny German Shepherd
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:18:39 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 886 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.